Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 SP 800 overheats, and I tried everything

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 SP 800 overheats, and I tried everything

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
I have read through a lot of past posts here regarding this problem and I am a new member. My 800 was just rebuilt on a new frame (thanks to a paloverde tree wanting to test my bike) by the dealer and it continues to overheat. Dealer has had back 3 times and can't fix. Here's what I've done. Burped any air out of system, carefully inspect rad for cloggage (none), took thermostat out, bypass engine temp sensor test (blink code 42...engine temp sensor circuit open or short to ground or short to battery) Do you guys know if replacing the engine temp sensor will cure??? Thanks to anyone who has thoughts on this. There are NONE of these sensors to be had from any dealer in my area. I found one in AB Canada...but they are forbidden to ship to US according to their dealer agreement??!!WTF! Ordered one "red tag" and I'll be baked for $80.00 on a $33.00 part.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

All I know to tell you is that you can get a temp gauge and a fan switch. One of the guys showed me a website where you can get this stuff. With the temp gauge you can monitor the temp and when things get to hot you can cut the fan on manualy. With the fan switch off it works like normal. I believe jumbofrank showed me the post. I plan to get the mod.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:17 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Does your fan come on? With a working clean rad,water pump,toped up antifreeze and working fan it can not over heat no mater what the idiot light says.

Never heard of any one shopping in Canada at our rip off prices,its always the other way around.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

The american dollar is worth less now. I am in the export business and have to keep track of prices. I have a log buyer that buys logs from me for Canada and he says the american dollar can't get what it used too.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Range Rover

Is it overheating? or is it just showing a HOT light? I just got my new 700x2 from the shop with 4 miles on it and it was over heating. For 2 weeks dealer could not find the cause...... Did you get a new rad installed in the rebuild?...It turned out to be the rad had a baffel missing in one of the tanks and water was running in the top and out the bottom not going through the fins at all. you could heat the moter utill the hot light came on and the fins on the rad were cool. They got a new rad and all is good now

Old 05-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I took the front box off to make sure the rad was clean, took the cover off the right side of engine to inspect the water pump impeller (OK), topped off fluids, inspected all hoses for fit and fitness. When I did the switch by-pass test, the fan came on and stayed on until I started the machine. I let the machine run for a while and took it down the street and back. I let it sit for a minute after the short ride and the HOT light came on. Here's what is funny. When the light came on, before the green **** came, the fan should have been on constantly with the HOT light on. ...Right?? Well it didn't and a few times it would start for about a half second and cut back off...almost like there was a short or the sensor couldn't decide if the engine was hot or not. Wierd It was like turning a vacuum sweeper on and off with the switch. I finally decided to just order a new switch. I called 25 dealers from CA, TX, NM, AZ, IL, and none had this switch. So I had the idea to call a dealer in Canada. Funny, the first dealer I called had 2 of these!!!I got all the way to paying for it and then the guy said it is against the dealer contract to ship a part across the border. Sure sucks, our dealers think of their own bottom lines with keeping NO parts on inventory, marking up the part from Polaris (which a customer can't order from anyway), then marking up the shipping when they ship the part to you.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:38 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The few cents difference between the American and Canadian dollar cant make up for the fact that a $50 U.S part sells for $75 in Canada. I just bought a "Pure Polaris" Belt at our Canadian dealership for $76 before taxes,what do they go for at a U.S dealership?

Don't fall in love with those dash lights,the true sign of over heating is water boiling out of your overflow bottle.

Kind of like Kawasaki's flashing light that says "Change Belt" LOL give us a break.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, new rad in rebuild.

If I unplug the temp sensor switch, will the fan run constantly??

Old 05-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't bought one in a while. I beleive that the last one I bought was 59 dollars. That has been about a year and a half ago. Gas prices have gone way up sense then and I bet those belt prices have too.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Range Rover

I'v had good luck with this place with my old ATV

http://www.polarispartshouse.com

Quick Reply: 2006 SP 800 overheats, and I tried everything