Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Water In Recoil Housing

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water In Recoil Housing

Gid'day lads. Stupid me, I got water in my recoil housing because my rope handle wasen't seated properly. Its dryed out now but the rope doesn't want to respool itself as easily as before. I 'm wondering if I may have a little surface rust in there that may need a light sanding. Would it be ok to squirt a little lubricant in the plug hole? If I take the casing off, would the old gasket be reusable seeing that its not really under pressure like an engine part or something? Maybe a bit of gasket sealant if needed? Anyone alse have had to deal with this?
Thanks Guys.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

Just went through this with my wife's atv.
I had to pull the housing off and pull the recoil assembly apart and clean it out. I didn't replace the gasket. I may at a later date when I rebuild her starter.
I think draining it doesn't get all the moisture out. Next time I'll pull the drain plug and the timing plug and force air through there with a hot air gun.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

Thats waht I was goint to do. I was looking at my air compressor, then I started thinking maybe it wasen't a good idea incase I got dirt in there too any might have made it worse. You right, even with it drained, its still full or moisture and the rope itself stays wet for a long time. I pulled the rope all the way out and let it dry too.
Did you just take the cover off and were able to clean it like that, or did you competely disasseble everything that was inside? I was hoping not to have to play around with rewinding it and all that stuff. Mind you I haven;t done it before so maybe its an easy job.
Thanks.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

Pulling the cover is not that bad of a job and if you have water in there it might be a good idea. I pulled mine and cleaned in side real good sprayed everything down with WD-40. It's amazing how rusty everything gets in there if there is any moisture left inside so to prevent any further problems it's good to clean it up. I put gasket sealer on the cover when I reinstalled.....

On a side note it's a lot easier to work at with the floor board off or out of the way....

Old 05-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Well thanks guys, I think I just found myself a project for today. This forum is great, in half an hour I got my answers and I'm ready to get to work. This sounds like a couple of pints project. Or more...... [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 05-31-2008, 01:02 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I just used liquid gasket and tossed the paper gasket. I also used a brake cleaner/electrical spray cleaner to clean the $300 stator thats also in there and I took the Bendix drive apart and cleaned and lubed that to alonge with removing rust from the flywheel.. Once muddy water is in there there is more than just a recoil spring to worry about.

Silicon the handle down over the rope hole once you clean out the whole works so it does not happen again.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

Ya, I took the floorboard off first.
I also took it apart, it's not too bad. But I also have the manual.
Recoil
Recoil2

Old 05-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

make sure you get the little springs around your bendix really good and clean then dry and a shot of wd 40 on them to prevent rust they will rust and brake very easy.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:42 AM
Pro Rider

Turns out all is good, I went out and pulled the rope a good few times. Pulled it on a couple compression stokes and almost blew my shoulder apart, but all is good. Anywho, turns out an '07 has no recoil housing gasket but there was some gasket goo.......guess they passed on a real gasket that year. thats ok......I just made another goowy gasket. Wasen't sure if the housing bolts had an actaul torque settng so I just tighened to what I thought would be sufficient.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to let you know Brake cleaner and Electrical cleaner should NOT be used together in the same matter!!

On that $300.00 stator the contact cleaner used should be one that leaves no residue and fully evaporate when finished!

Also there are cleaners that are safe for plastics and non-flammable
The cheaper off-line cleaners will not evaporate quickly and very flammable if a flash or spark is present before the cleaner is dried!!

There was a flash fire on one of the contactors at my plant due to the incorrect spray was used by a un-trained worker in the Electrical field!!

I was called in to repair the damage caused by the off-line cleaner.........I should also say this is no longer around in the Maintenance department!!.......lession learned.....Caper......

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

I just used liquid gasket and tossed the paper gasket. I also used a brake cleaner/electrical spray cleaner to clean the $300 stator thats also in there and I took the Bendix drive apart and cleaned and lubed that to alonge with removing rust from the flywheel.. Once muddy water is in there there is more than just a recoil spring to worry about.

Silicon the handle down over the rope hole once you clean out the whole works so it does not happen again.</end quote></div>

Quick Reply: Water In Recoil Housing