Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help Polaris 800 X2 Stalling out in water.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 03:31 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help Polaris 800 X2 Stalling out in water.

Gee Zak, that WAS a good one. I wish I had been that clever. As for air filters, K&N sucks up more dirt than a Hoover and it goes straight into the carb/throttle body. I've always run stock filters, but if I didn't, I would choose No-Toil over K&N any day. http://www.notoil.com/ It has better airflow than a K&N with a pre-filter, and the super-sticky oil catches the dirt MUCH better. I still like just tossing the paper filter instead of cleaning and re-oiling a filter over and over.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

Get some di-electric grease. Squirt a little bit inside the boot and the wire will keep contact with the plug even if water splashes on it. The boot should snap on tight too. </end quote></div>

Just a follow up on my post. I got after the the spark plug boot with some di-electric grease and that did the trick. I had it out yesterday and crossed several streams (some darn near to the top of the seat) and had zero problems with the machine!

The only thing left to do is get some decent tires with a little more grab. Those Carlyle (sp) that are on there now, are not worth a darn for the kind of riding I do. I go over some some serious bolder fields and deep fast moving streams and need a tire with a little more grip. Any ideas of what to buy without breaking the bank, or having to change out the rims? Those low lug piles of junk Carlyle tires darn near cost me an insurance claim yesterday, as my machine came close to sliding off a cliff on a side hill.

You guys were so great about solving the water issue, I figured you would have some idea on what to do about my tire issue! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,

Greg

Old 06-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you may have to use wheel spacers or after irms in you go too wide on the front. you doing any mud riding or just all around riding?

Old 06-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

you may have to use wheel spacers or after irms in you go too wide on the front. you doing any mud riding or just all around riding?</end quote></div>

Stendori: Some mud, but mostly trails with lots of large boulders, loose dirt, steep grades and I do like my deep streams. All I know is these tires are not nearly aggressive enough for my needs.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

MM,

There are lots of posts here on the subject. Many on here seem to gravitate to using the
MudLites and Swamplites. Stendori can better comment than I
can on the subject. I am still running stock, but have done my fair worth of
reading on the subject and pestering the same people (LOL) with all my questions.

I hope to have as an early Christmas present to myself this year (late fall) my set
of aftermarket tires. Still haven't made up my mind 100% on what I will buy.

R'

Old 06-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RticKwad

MM,

There are lots of posts here on the subject. Many on here seem to gravitate to using the

MudLites and Swamplites. Stendori can better comment than I

can on the subject. I am still running stock, but have done my fair worth of

reading on the subject and pestering the same people (LOL) with all my questions.

I hope to have as an early Christmas present to myself this year (late fall) my set

of aftermarket tires. Still haven't made up my mind 100% on what I will buy.

R'</end quote></div>

RticKwad: All I know is I have to lose these stock Carlisle tires. I guess they would be OK for light duty, but for my needs they don't cut it. I may have to end up stepping up to a tire and wheel package to gain some extra height as well. I was hitting bottom a lot more than my buddy was with his 2007 Polaris 500 yesterday. The longer frame of the X2 provides a nice ride, but is also is a boulder magnet and the clearance blows. If I can get better traction and some more height to my ride with my fanal choice, I will be very happy.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mountain Man

jokout: Not a bad idea. I will do that just as a "what if" measure. As far as an air filter, do you guys like stock or K&N? I still have a stock filter in there along with the pre-filter cover, but have been debating trying a K&N.</end quote></div>

I asked my dealer about using a K&N air filter and he told me it would void the warranty. So if your thinking about using anything other than OEM air filter, I'd wait until after your warranty is up, or swap the OEM back in before you take it in for any warranty work.

Thanks Jumbofrank for the link to the No-Toil air filter, I hadn't heard of them before. I don't ride in real dusty conditions so I may consider one of these when my warranty is up.