Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

fuel pump goin bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump goin bad?

ok, last weekend i did the maintenance on my 06 hawkeye 4X4 and added a new K&N air filter. i ran it last weekend about 40 miles in 90+*F and it ran awesome, no problems at all and ran better with the K&N. today, i took it out and drove it and after about 2 mins of driving straight on road to my friends house, it started to get real finicky and it would pop in and out of the throttle like i was lettin off the throttle every 3 seconds. it wont start unless i have the choke on 1/2 way and it will start but i have to be real gentle with the throttle to get it going or it will die. and ill be goin about 30 mph and let off the gas and put gas back on and it backfires ALOT! and the more i run it, the hotter it gets, the worse the symptoms get. i can just let it sit for a bit and then it goes back to normal, but then back to symptoms. i think its the fuel pump just because of the way it is acting where the choke needs to be on and it backfires just like if i was going and shut it off and on while its moving.

sorry for the long description, but just wanted to give u the whole picture.

anyone got any ideas?

Old 06-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

did you say you left out the air filter and had these problems?

Old 06-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

no, i installed the K&N last weekend and it performed better with it on there. 0-30 in 5 seconds. i rode it about 40 miles last weekend and no problems at all. then today the symptoms started and i never took out the K&N since i have installed it and it is still on the atv. i dont think it has anything to do with the K&N since it is cooler outside today than last weekend and i ran it hard last weekend and im just riding it normal.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Range Rover

check the spark plug see what color it is ,if its white your too lean with that new filter,it may have burned your plug up,if it is white you may need to jet it because of more air getting in.too lean is not good for your piston.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

ya, i know all about lean and rich and how it effects the parts. before maintenance and K&N i checked the spark plug and it looked like a piece of charcoal it was BLACK! ill go check it right now and see how it is. thanks for the help guys!

Old 06-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

just checked it: the bottom threads are still black, but the rod in the middle and the arm that goes over the rod( the 2 spark components) are white instead of them being black like before. i have a spare spark plug but just one and i dont wanna get stuck with it not workin this weekend, but should i just pop in the other air filter and see if that fixes it?

and i dont know why the K&N would cause it because i ran it hard and hot last weekend and im running it easy now?

Old 06-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its running lean for sure by the way the plug looks. the k&n will make it flow more air then by making it leaner. it couldnt hurt to put the stock filter back in to richern it back up a little. also the k&n lets more dirt in as well so make sure you keep checking on it.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

ya, i got a new prefilter on the K&N.
and that makes perfect sense for it to be running lean, but why would it run awesome last weekend and all the sudden mess up this weekend? and if it is running lean, is there any way to make it run richer and run the K&N?

and could somewhere in the fuel system be clogged like the fuel lines or anything? i just thought about this: my tank was empty before riding it this weekend and whenever i filled up the fuel tank i filled it up completely and the gauge was stuck at bottom. i shook the atv and it got unstuck, is it possible there is something clogging it and causing it to bog in and out?

just called the dealer, and there isnt even a fuel pump on the hawkeye! LOL!
so if there is no fuel pump, how does the fuel get pushed into the engine, is it backpressure from the exhaust?

Old 06-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

If it does not have a fuel pump there is only one thing left to check; the main jet. If the fuel was clean and good, I think you have a clogged main jet.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

ok, what and where is a jet? what do i have to do to clean it?

before im gona do anything else im gona check the fuel lines/tank.

Quick Reply: fuel pump goin bad?