Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Bad polaris buying experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad polaris buying experience

If some of you remember one of my last posts, I posted that I test drove a 08 500 X2 and after driving a short distance, the bike quite running and the check engine light came on. My wife wanted a red bike and has her mind set on that. The one that we had problems with was green.

Well, I have been speaking with the salesman and he had told me that they had a red one in stock. He had told me that they had sold the red one he had instock when we test drove the green one but later told me over the phone that they got another red one in. Oh, and I had to keep calling the salesman back as he didn't seem too concerned in calling me back. The price was negotiated over the phone and agreed upon.

Last thurs, my wife and I both went down to the dealership to sign the paperwork for the financing on the machine. The salesman then proceeds to tell us that the red one was sold and hoped he weren't expecting to pick up the bike today. That wasn't a problem as we were going out of town anyway and were planning to pick up bike sometime this week. The salesman made out a sales slip with the negotiated price, red x2 500, and the words SOLD! on it. I signed the slip after the salesman told me that he would have to do a dealer trade for the machine and he would shoot for next week. I asked him to let me know.

Well, on Mon, I still hadn't heard from him and I called him again to see what the status of the bike was as I'd have to make arrangements to borrow a buddy's trailer. Well, salesman asks me if I can be "colorblind" and take the green one he has in stock. I told him that wasn't an option as the wife has her mind set on the red one. Salesman tells me that we were approved for the 3.99% tier of finacing so that's not a problem. He tell me that he'll call me back.

Yesterday, he calls and tells me that he found a bike at another dealership but he is only going to be making 4 dollars on the sale and he couldn't get a red one for the price he quoted me. WTF?! I told him, politely, that he agreed on the price and should honor it. He again tells me that he has a green one in stock. I tell him no thanks and thanked him for his time.

I thought about it for awhile and called his manager at the dealership. I explained the situation to the manager and was polite while doing so. Manager tells me that he's going to look into it and hasn't called me back yet.

I explained to the manager that I'm a little concerned that I had already applied for financing and signed the sales slip, thinking that this was a done deal. I have no problems going with another dealer as I don't think that I want to go with this dealer for anything based on how this deal went down.

What do you all think? I didn't think that it would be this hard to spend money in this economy. Is this typical of ATV dealerships? This is my first ATV buying experience.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer

if you applied for financing that means they pulled your credit. If you go to another dealer and apply for their credit program it will pull your credit again. That CAN BE bad on your credit with two pulls in a short amount of time. I would MAKE the dealership honor the sale, period! you signed its a done deal!!

Old 06-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

WOW!!!!!
Scrap that dealership. You must be fortunate enough to have more then one around.

Don't hold it against polaris - as I'm sure your not.

Yea - that sucks.

Tell you of my brothers story here in Fairbanks AK. We have an annual outdoor show and my dealer travels up (95 miles) from Delta Jct. AK where I used to live. I've purchased a few machines from him.

My brother goes in and makes a verbal deal with Scott from Polaris Jct on an '08 Ranger XP that he has in the crate in Delta. Scott tells my brother to let him know if he wants it (cause he has to talk to momma about the deal he found) and they'll work out delivery, financing, add-ons, etc - just give him a call on his cell phone.

Brother goes home - momma likes the deal too, he calls his cell phone - says consider it sold - do you need some money down?? Scott says no - I'll call you next week and we'll process your information for the 3.99 and free winch.

To this point Scott doesn't know if my brother has a job or 5 bucks in the bank but committs to the only ranger he has left in stock.

Brother gives secretary info over the phone - approved for 3.99 and winch and picks it up a week later. (week later - cause my brother's schedule - not Scotts).

Find a better dealer. And it sounds like they have an X2 with problems they want to unload.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

good point on the credit, is it possible that because it's a "Polaris finance deal" that polaris will have the approval on record for any of the dealers??

Might check on that. At the same time - unless your buying a house in the next year - I wouldn't worry to much about the credit check.

But that's just me.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

I think it is more important that you are comfortable with the dealership than having two inquiries on your credit report in a short period of time. If you qualified for tier 1 financing at 3.99%, then I would say your credit is good enough to NOT be affected by the additional inquiry.

If you don't see a way for you to get a satisfactory resolution from this dealer - You will never be happy with them - Find another dealer.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Trailblazer

I'm not buying a house as I already have one but i was concerned about the credit checks also and brought that up with the sales manager. The sales manager told me that since I was financing through polaris, another dealer could just ask for my credit application from their dealership and the approval could be transfered without another check being done.

My wife and I both thought that they were trying to unload a problem machine (green one) but she told me before we even test drove one that she wanted a red one.

I'll be calling the dealership back today, like normal cause they don't seem to concerned about my business. I want to get out and start riding. I've been wanting an X2 since they came out and just finaly figured that we could afford the payments. I'll be wanting them to fax me a copy of the sales slip I signed with something from them staing that the sale was voided, just to avoid problems incase I do buy an X2 from another dealer.

Oh, I do have 2 other dealerships within an hours drive but one lied to me when they installed a $1200 fish finder I bought from them last year so I won't give them my business anymore. I'm planning to go to the other one tomorrow with the wife and see what they have or can do for me.

I have at least 5 more dealerships if I expand my drivetime to 2 hours to get down to the twin cities. There is no shortage of dalerships but i like to keep my busness local. It's just too bad that the local businesses are too busy in this economy to have good customer service and I have to consider driving 2 hours with gas prices the way ther are to get a much better deal.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

You need to think of where you will bring the quad for service as well. Are you willing to take it to a shop two hours away? Certainly I would travel a little out of the way to find a dealer I am comfortable with - but two hours might be a little much

Old 06-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

You said it brother - and good luck.

It amazes me the lack of customer service these days. I won't buy from the local polaris guys in fairbanks for that reason. Besides they sell, honda, HD, Yamaha, buell, and seem to think they can just point and grunt when you ask them were something is.

You'd think when people are spending 10-15k they'd have smiles and say thanks every once in a while. I gringe to even buy oil from them but can't really justify gas money to drive to my buddies in Delta. I'll stock up the next time I'm in his shop to avoid that issue next time.

I used to be a Arctic Cat guy and when my buddy and I had to beg for their attention while trying to buy 4 sno-gos and 2 aluminum trailers ($30+K) I left town and went to the small guys who actually say please and thank you for your money.

Let us know how it goes for you. Hope you find a good guy.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Range Rover

A couple of credit pulls will, not be that big of a deal, since it looks like you becon score is high.

The dealer I purchased my 2 polaris from, was a tad shady too.They had $1200.00 worth of fee's, assembly/shipping/unknown/ it took me about 3 hours to negociate the price down below the MSRP. & They never even mentioned the $800.00 dollar rebate polaris has going on now.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer

agree that 2 credit pulls in and of itself is not a huge deal....but credit is not something to mess around with in my own personal opinion. My wife was in the finance industry for years and we are very critical about credit pulls as they can and will have some form of impact on your score if pulled frequently..... Definitely check to see if another polaris dealership can use same credit application........just my opinion

Quick Reply: Bad polaris buying experience