Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

using a temp laser gun to see if engine is actually overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using a temp laser gun to see if engine is actually overheating?

Can you use a temp laser to check and see if your engine is actually overheating? If so what are normal operating temperatures if it is pointed at the block? and does anyone know where to get a good laser for a low price?

Old 06-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i beleave sheepdog has one he used to mesure the exhaust temp. maybe he'll chime in or you can pm him.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

I've seen the temp thingy at Costco for 60.00 plus dollars....check out their website......it may be online.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Trailblazer

does anyone know what the outside temp of the engine block would be if it were overheating?

Old 06-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

I can't find the original thread for the life of me. But here are two pics that I took back then, one of the head and the other of the cylinder. This was at full operating temp.

Don't know what temp would be considered overheating, but if the fan comes on at about 185 degrees, I'd say that it would be overheating at 205 degrees or more. Thats just a guess. I got my gauge from ebay.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if i remember right the gage read 210 when the fan kicked on, on my 06 800 and went off at 190.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:05 PM
Trailblazer

mine seems to be reading a little higher than yours...now u got me worried...mine is air cooled with a fan assisted air cooler...let me ask you this...would the inside of the engine be cooler than the outside tho? because of the oil? inbetween my air fins of the engine i would average around 190 degrees, but there were two spots on the motor that would be pushing 240 at times....However the exhaust pipe is somewhat close to those spots, and im thinking maybe that may have had something to do with it. Keep in mind my fan doesnt kick on...Ive tested it and hooked it direct to the battery and the fan does work..can u take a temp on your exhaust pipe leaving the motor? Im gonna go get some readings on the motor with the fan on directly wired to the battery and see if it cools it any. Ill let yall know . thanks a lot I appreciate the help

Old 06-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Trailblazer

o and someone at the dealership told me that the fan usually doesnt kick on till around 240...

Old 06-23-2008, 11:39 PM
Trailblazer

i couldnt figure out how to get the pictures on here, but after letting it run for around 10 min with the fan on, i was averaging around 220...guess that sux...what can i do to lower the temp? sux that its air cooled i guess...I had the fan running and im running mobile1 0w-40...what else could i do, or what could be making it get hot?

Old 06-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

Temps for an aircooled engine can't really be compared to a liquid cooled one. As long as your oil pump is working fine, you shouldn't have to worry about anything else.

Do you mean that you have an oil cooler with a fan on it? I had a Rancher 350 with the same set-up. I rigged a switch to the fan so I could turn it on when I wanted and leave it on for as long as I wanted. Maybe you could do something like that if you're worried about it.

As far as reading the header pipe, that won't make you feel any better, because it will be a lot hotter. Check the temps on my header pipe....LOL!!

ADDED:

Quick Reply: using a temp laser gun to see if engine is actually overheating?