Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Is there something wrong with Sportman 800 EFI's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there something wrong with Sportman 800 EFI's?

Hi, I've been looking at used smaller ATVs so that my kids can go riding with me and in the past week have seen what I would consider to be "too good to be true deals on 06 and 07 Sportsman 800's. So I was just curious if there are problems with them. I found two 06's for $2800 and $3400 and an 07 for $2500. All are low miles, good condition with extras. Any thoughts?

Old 07-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that seems like an aweful low price for them. i had an 06 and now an 08' w/out any major issues. just keep the rad. clean so they dont over heat. i would ask why their such a low price for sure. go on nada book and price them out.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

I'd bet money they are scams. ATV sales scams are rampant. I'm looking for a used Sportsman for my wife and I think us Polaris owners are very proud of our machines lol. Most that I have found have wanted alot more than compared to similar ATVs of other makes. She may end up with a Honda lol.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

The possibility of them being scams did cross my mind, however, these are on Craigslist, so I'm not sure how they would scam someone. They seem like great machines, that is why I was curious. Thanks

Old 07-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

On any used ATV you should get the VIN # for the quad and ask your local police department if it is a stolen vehicle. That is the only way you can know for sure if it is stolen or not. Another good bet is if they have the current title or registration. I'm a little leery of going into areas that are high crime areas. If it were me going into an area with a lot of cash on hand I would drive by a couple of times and listen to my inner warning system. If it didn't feel right I'd avoid it altogether. Or, I would carry my 9 mm, but why endanger myself unnecessarily.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

These are DEFINETELY scams. A 2006 800 should run around $6000 to $8000 deprending on extras. I checked one of these scams out last year, and what it is, is that the quad is either in Alaska, Yukon, or some other remote place. They are willing to absorb the shipping costs, and all they want is your money to be sent and then they ship the quad. After a little investigating, the so-called seller wants you to send the money to a different person in England, with Western Union, and the shipping company they use is a farse! As soon as I heard western Union, and overseas, a HUGE red light came on. Another way to tell, is that they will never give their phone number, and they always communicate by emails. I asked if we could phone each other and the seller ignored me. (Thankfully I saved my money) Anyways I hope this helps.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pat6366

The possibility of them being scams did cross my mind, however, these are on Craigslist, so I'm not sure how they would scam someone. They seem like great machines, that is why I was curious. Thanks</end quote></div>

Craislist is riddled with scams. How they scam you is when you e-mail them they will give you a story about how they are out of the country, ie in Iraq or on a mission in the UK and they are using a 3rd party service to handle the sale which requires prepayment proir to delivery. I personally have inquired about 2 atvs in the past week from Craislist, both were scams. Check the Yamaha sewction for a thread I started about a 2007 Grizzly, I posted the e-mail I got from the "seller".

EDIT- here is the e-mail I got, I had inquired about an 07 Grizzly for 3500

"Hello there,

"This grizzly is in great condition and runs great. Hate to sell but I'm getting ready to deploy to Iraq in a month and don't want it gets old in my backyard. It's still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad US $3500. I'm in Rapid City, SD, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. I believe it's a large transaction and would like to conduct the deal using an authorized third party as eBay, so that should eliminate any trust issues. Only after you receive the atv and inspect it, e-Bay will release payment to me, in this way we are both protected. So, if you are a serious buyer and still interested in this grizzly please reply with your full name and shipping address. I will forward your infos to ebay and they will notify you with all the transaction details.
Hope to hear from you soon so we get things rolling.
For some pics please visit http://www.villagephotos.com/p...asp?folder_id=2011714

Ryan"

Old 07-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hard to believe people are still fallling for scams where they have to wire money. Thanks for the responses. Here is one of the listings in case anyone is curious.
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/rvs/738486195.html

Old 07-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pat6366

Hard to believe people are still fallling for scams where they have to wire money. Thanks for the responses. Here is one of the listings in case anyone is curious.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/rvs/738486195.html</end quote></div>

Yeah, that is DEFINITELY a scam or a typo. Hell I'd drive from NC to Philly for that deal if it was legit. lol $6500 would be more like it.