Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 Polaris Sportsman EFI Twin Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008 | 07:19 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 2006 Polaris Sportsman EFI Twin Trouble

My sportsman has been acting up lately, my check engine light is on as well as the little wrench on the screen. First, does anybody know what those are for and why? I know there are certain codes to tell you what is wrong, but how do you find the codes? The second problem most likely has to do with the 1st. When I am up in the mountains, when I get to about 7500 feet it quits running all together, if i coast down the hill and let it sit for 30 min it will start up again. Also, there are times when I am just ridding it around the house and it will shut off and not start, almost like it is flooded or something, any help with any of these problems I would appreciate it.

Eric

Old 07-28-2008 | 07:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

In neutral,turn ignition switch ON and OFF 3 times, blink codes will show up and show actual number at end of diagnostic. Codes NOT always accurate.Code numbers are in your manual. Is pump working when key on? Are connections on sensors secure? Hard to guess,but if I have to check fuel pump. Some other members may have had similar problem and can advise a little more. Good luck

Old 07-28-2008 | 07:44 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info, I will take a look and see, how often should I change spark plugs?

Old 07-28-2008 | 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the problems with codes showing up on my brand new Polaris 800. Fortunately it would still run. On my Polaris there is a sensor directly under the seat that has a wiring harness with TOO short wires. They pull out of the connector and you get problems. They go into a Bosch T-BAP sensor (temperature and atmospheric pressure) If you have a problem at high altitude (I use mine at 7000 to 8000 ft in the mountains in AZ) it could very well be because of the problem of not getting the right barometric altitude info that the ECU needs to adjust the fuel injection. I assume you have EFI. If you have carbs, none of this applies, carbs can't adjust for atlitude.

At a high altitude (which you have) the injectors need to put in less fuel to keep the same air/fuel ratio. (You have less air at altitude) So, if it doesn't know the altitude, it lets the dang thing run very rich, which could cause stalling, or a general lack of power. Polaris knows about the stupid short wiring and harness connector. IF that is your problem, there is a fixit kit that polaris sells to make the wiring longer and a brand new connector to the Bosch T-BAP sensor. Or go see the dealer and have him fix it.

You really need to find out the codes and it should point you in the right direction. I had codes 41, 42 and one other I don't recall. Fixing the connector took care of the codes and it runs great. As was said in a previous post, the codes are in the owner's manual.

Old 07-29-2008 | 01:47 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for that info, i will check that tomorrow. Yes, mine is efi, so hopefully that is what is wrong.

Eric