Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

08 sportsman HO oil in airbox

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 01:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 sportsman HO oil in airbox

hello everybody,im new and glad to join.

heres the story...
my quad has been wonderful..only have had it about 5 months.i did a oil change at 20 mi and havent had any issues until my last outing. i ran down a shallow creek(about 6in deep) not extremely fast- but water was flying- and when i had released the throttle it stalled. havent seen this before,so i tried to start it.the starter would turn it over and light off but it wouldnt stay running.so i put it to bed thinking that some water had gotten in the intake and it needed to dry out.
i went to take it out today,i started it up to make sure it was all better and it did...itran good for five mins got to the trail and started her up,short while later when i released the throttle it stalled and would not stay running.i opened the air box and there is clean oil in the bottom.about 1/4 in.i couldnt troubleshoot more due to day light.will crack it open tomorrow. anybody have a clue as to what is happening to my baby?

Old 08-03-2008, 03:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

well ive been thinking about what im going to do tommorrow and the oil might be from when i tipped it on its side in a huge rut. it was running during the two mins or so it took to right it.could that have caused the oil to back up into the air box?it looks like theres some sensers that could possibly have been fouled by the oil.can i clean them w/ some electronic cleaner and clean out the intake to get her back to new? i really appreciate any help!

Old 08-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Just clean out air box,make sure air filter not oil soaked at bottom, sensor at back of box is air temp sensor,just wipe off.
plus under box is drain plug,open up to get excess out. Normal for a little oil to accumulate over a period of time since crankcase vent goes to box,or when machine is tipped over or lot of vertical climbing.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

lol i tried to type a messaage earlier for about the same thing, but the good ole forum wouldnt let me again and i lost all i typed. got to love that when it happens.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 08-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

THANK YOU VERY MUCH O.P.T...I DID ALL THAT YOU RECOMENDED BUT IT STILL ACTS THE SAME.THE FILTER HAS OIL ON THE BOTTOM CORNER OF IT,I PLAN ON CHANGEING IT WHEN I GET A CHANCE.COULD FUMES FROM THE FILTER BE CAUSING THE STALLING PROB?WHAT ELSE DO YOU THINK?
I HAVE A WARRENTY FOR IT BUT I LIVE ON AN ISL IN AK ,AND THEY LIKE TO MAKE US PAY LARGE ...BNECAUSE THEY CAN.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

Could it be the throttle safety device causing the stalling problem?

Old 08-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I CALLED THE LOCAL DEALER AND THERE GREAT MECH SAYS IT IS MOST LIKELY THE THROTTLE CABLE ADJUSTMENT.ETC? I GUESS IT GETS LOOSE ON NEW BIKES. IT SOUNDS SIMPLE....I EVEN GOOGLED IT AND IT LED ME TO THIS FORUM ,I GUESS ITS NOT AN UN COMMON PROB FOR NEW POPOS.THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR GUYS HELP.THIS IS A GREAT SITE.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

WILL get loose if setup man DIDNT do his job and checked and tightened lock nut before delivery to customers! Also cable stretch as machine wears,so check every now and then. Good luck

Old 08-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: old polaris tech

WILL get loose if setup man DIDNT do his job and checked and tightened lock nut before delivery to customers! </end quote></div>

Unfortuantely OPT you are probably one of the few Techs left that actually set up a bike. Nowdays I think alot of dealers uncrate and do the bare minimum. I kind of correlate it with buying a pre-assembled bike at Wal-Mart. I've learned to check at a minimum the big ticket and safety items before riding a new machine, ie fluids suspension bolts, lug nuts, brakes ect ect.

Sorry for the off topic post [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I have a set up man,BUT I always check him out,sometimes he's half asleep, plus reflects on US as a dealership if half a** done as some do!