Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

08 Sportsman 800 suspension popping??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Sportsman 800 suspension popping??

I can actually feel it more than here it. This just started. When going over rough terrain that puts the suspension in a bind I feel a popping type vibration in my left foot. It almost feels like a frame weld is cracked if you know what I mean. I looked it over and do not think that is the case. That would probably be a first lol. The bike has about 100 miles on it. Things I have tried so far: 1)I have greased the front A-arms(seems to pop more when the front is in a bind). 2)sprayed WD-40 on the top of the struts. 3)Tightened the foot rest. 4)Jacked it up and felt for suspension/bearing/hub looseness by trying to move the wheels. The only thing I did note was the left front wheel/hub bearing seems a tad looser than the right. The right had no play while the left had a little. 5)I checked to make sure the differentials,engine and tranny mount bolts are tight. 6) I Checked a-arm bolts by hand.By that time I had ran out of light. Tomorrow I am going to check them with tools and grease the rear a-arms. Any other suggestions?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:30 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

I hope there is an answer to this as my 06 Hawkeye does it also. I've had it totally appart but can't find anything broken (welds) or loose bolts. What you described is exactly what I experienced.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:33 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Also I can make it do it buy standing on it and rocking it hard.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mongrol

Also I can make it do it buy standing on it and rocking it hard.</end quote></div>

Mine doesn't do it by rocking,but then again I can't rock it too much. My gut wants to say it is A-armbushings or the uper strut mount but it seems too substantial to be either. Really feels like a cracked frame weld. I'll get to the bottom of it on way or another....things like this(sqeaks,rattles pops ect) drive me crazy!!!!

Old 08-06-2008, 12:06 AM
"Official Site Skeptic"

The noise i'm chasing is a solid, loud, metalic snap/clack.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:30 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack it up and take another look at the suspension. See if you can move any of the A-arms front and backward. Bad bushings are the most likely thing I've seen that clunk, so far, but my experience is limited. Good luck.

Frank

Old 08-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

JF- Thanks for the suggestion. I checked that and the A-Arms are tight. If the bushings wore out in 100 miles I'd be ashamed lol. Keep the ideas coming!

Old 08-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The upright frame support that the coolant reservoir mounts to is bolted in. The bolts were slightly loose. It was one of the first things I looked at but I saw no evidence of movement. But today after alot of trial and error with other things I put a wrench on the bolts and all 6 were a little loose. Got about a half turn on each bolt. One of the bottom ones was cracked or stretched as well, I barely started tigtening it and it snapped. No more pop now!! Nice and smooth again.
This weekend I intend to put a wrench on every nut and bolt on the bike.

Might want to check those bolts Mongrol if the Hawkeye has any blt in crossmembers or frame supports! I would imagine that there is at least one bolt in crossmember/frame support. I think the Sportsman has at least 2. That one and one on the right side that runs fore and aft.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no noises on either of our bikes yet.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:09 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Good going. I'll check tht area. I did the bolt thing but might have missed a couple in that area.

thx

Quick Reply: 08 Sportsman 800 suspension popping??