Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Dealer Service Screwup - need help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Service Screwup - need help!

New user here. Great forum with tons of good info.

I have a 2008 Sportsman 700 X2 bought new in December 07. Love the machine (power, performance, design, etc.)

So here's my question.....

What short and long term issues can I expect after running ADC fluid in the front diff gear case for about 15 miles in 4wd high (ADC off). Speed never exceeded 20mph?

For those interested here's how this happened:

After about 10 hours the input shaft on the front diff started leaking oil. Dealer replaced the seal and bearings under warranty. After a few more hours of very easy riding it started leaking again. Returned to dealer and they said the front drive shaft was bent. They saw no signs of impact or abuse so they replaced the shaft, seals and bearings under warranty. Got it back a few days ago and discovered the ADC is now grinding when it's engaged. Also had a strange 4wd engagement issue, happened once and I cannot reproduce it.
So...I returned the dealer once again yesterday after work with the quad. Service manager and shop forman tested rode and didn't think anything was wrong. They even brought a brand-new 700 x2 to compare. I rode both and could feel and hear the grinding from the ADC. They were still not convinced.
I then asked about which fluid they put in the front diff. I told them about what I read here on the forums about Premium Demand Drive being used when LT was required. The shop forman got interested and went back to my records and saw only ADC fluid was listed on the invoice. He then talked to the tech who said he used ADC fluid in the gear case. He thought since it ADC and it was an ADC front diff this was the proper fluid. He even said it seemed strange because the ADC fluid seemed more like brake fluid, but used it anyway. It kills me to even think guys with kind of logic are working on my beloved sportsman.
They drained out the ADC fluid and replaced it with LT Demand Drive. ADC no longer grinds but it also seems to no longer function. I need to do some more testing on this though.
I'm probably going to demand a new front diff but would like some information on what damage might have been caused by using the ADC fluid like this.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if it was me i would tell them to replace the front end or least the complete adc unit as its mostly likely been damaged by the wrong fluid. ask sheepdog what happens when the LT fluid isnt used and he can tell you first hand. dont let them of the hook by saying it'll be fine. you at least want all the records of the the work done,including the screw up, and an extened waranty on the front hillard clutch (awd) at least. welcome to the forum.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you should contact Polaris and tell them what the dealer did.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

if it was me i would tell them to replace the front end or least the complete adc unit as its mostly likely been damaged by the wrong fluid. ... dont let them of the hook by saying it'll be fine. you at least want all the records of the the work done,including the screw up, and an extened waranty on the front hillard clutch (awd) at least. welcome to the forum.</end quote></div>

AMEN

Old 08-10-2008, 03:10 AM
Pro Rider

Scrammytodd was the one who lost his front diff when the dealer put regular Premium Demand Drive Hub fluid into his ADC front differential. The proper fluid for an ADC front diff is the Premium LT fluid. Both are for front differentials, but the LT version is formulated specifically for clutch packs (ADC).

The ADC fluid that the dealer put into your front differential isn't for lubrication, its for high pressure pumping applications. I'd bet money that the ADC fluid that was in there damaged the clutch packs in your front diff. They might have replaced the seals and put the correct fluid in afterwards, but I'd bet the clutch packs will fail before too long.

I'd take stendori's advice and demand a whole new front diff.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

sorry sheep. im loosing whats left of mind little mind and memeory. been on sled forums too much i guess or its just time for me too give this forum up.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah right stendori, you can't give this forum up. Just like the song "Hotel California".......you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. LOL!

Old 08-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

The more I think about this the more p*ssed off I get. You paid the dealer to do a job and THEY messed up. They need to put your bike back to the way it was before they screwed it up. The immediate affect was obviously the seal failure, but there are going to be long term affects that need to be resolved right now. And the only way to do that is to get whole assemblies replaced.

For sake of argument, if they put AGL or Angle Drive Fluid into the crankcase and gave it back to you and you ran it for a little bit and there was a problem so you bring it back and they discover that the mechanic put the wrong fluid in, its not just a simple matter of refilling with the proper oil and sending you on your way. Your engine will have long term issues, and it would be your fault it you didn't get a proper remedy up front. I'd demand a new engine in that case.

You have to demand a whole new front differential now. If you don't and you have a problem down the line, I'm sure the dealership won't back you. You will have problems down the line with your front diff, and you'll be on your own. Make the dealership suck it up some how. Don't be rude to them right off the bat. Politely state your demands, and if you don't have luck with the person you're speaking with, ask to speak with that person's boss. If you end up speaking with the owner of the dealership and that person won't help, kindly tell them that if they don't "do the right thing" and replace your differential or give you a written in-house warranty for the differential for as long as you own the ATV, you won't have any choice but to contact Polaris or take civil action (small claims) or report their practices to whoever it is that CAN do something for you.

This just p*sses me right off. If you put the wrong fluid it, then its your fault and you have to deal with it. Since THEY put the wrong fluid in, the totally wrong fluid, its their fault and they have to deal with it. Don't let them short cut you or sucker you into believing everything will be fine. Please let us know how you make out with them.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

see what most dealships hope is that you dont know anything about wheelers or what can happen to it when the wrong fluid is applied so there going to try to string you along. but they dont that you have an "ace=the forum=for knowledge) up for sleeve.
sheep ive thought about it, but a few IM's ive gotten keeps me hanging around( you poor guys)and keep running my mouth. lol ps i like that song [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Range Rover

Boy am i glad that front diff fluid fill plug is hard to get to or i would have put the wrong stuff in. Is there a way for one of you folks that are knowedgeable on the subject to post a stiky that lists all the fluids and the part numbers for those fluids that these quads need to run.