Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Click/Clunk nosie from rear rght wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Click/Clunk nosie from rear rght wheel

I was finally able to take the entire shaft off. Then I put it in a vise and got the cv joint off. Cleaned it out real good. There was a lot of grit/sand/etc. in the grease. I think my son has been riding it for a while with the torn boot. Is there any way to tell if the cv joint needs to be replaced just by looking at it? Should I take the gear side boot off and check the plunging joint while I am at it? I don't want to shell out $300 the replace the entire shaft assembly if I don't need to. (I went to my local polaris dealer and they will only sell me the entire shaft assembly...they won't sell just the cv joint!!)

Old 08-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Click/Clunk nosie from rear rght wheel

Just clean cv thorughly and grease,lock shaft back on vise,install cv and see if moves freely,not stiff or notchy or excessive slack when TWISTING back and forth! One way to tell if bad is if bearings are badly pitted, inner cv cage cracked or worn in bearing areas. SOMETIMES just hard to see wear can only hear it! I have replaced partial assy's before and have been snakebit,because the other side (either plunging joint or cv will start making noise because of stress from new cv! PROBABLY why some dealers say best to replace as an assy WHEN noise is bad. Costs more to buy individual cvs than to buy a complete assy. Same goes for plunging joint,if you take boot off and clean,TWIST joint back and forth,if you FEEL a lot of play,then probably will make noise under load. Balljoints and driveshafts are the items most subject to wear on Polaris atvs. Good luck