Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Click/Clunk nosie from rear rght wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Click/Clunk nosie from rear rght wheel

I have a noise coming from the rear right wheel (I think that is where)...it is a loud clack/click sound and it only occurs when I am in reverse or when I am turning to the right...I did notice today that the rubber boot by the wheel is completely torn.

Any ideas?

Old 08-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Range Rover

My first thought would be wheel bearings but that depends on what you are working on - fill out your profile. There are some good members here that will chime in with other ideas.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

If the boot is torn you probably messed ip the c-v joint.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

It is a 2002 Sportsman 500 HO...

Old 08-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

That is defiantly your wheel bearing the same thing happened to me. The first time i heard the noise i was making a sharp right turn and it scared me to death haha.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if its clicking under pressure ill bet its the cv joint, but you can check the bearing as it will be either one.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Bet you a dollar to a donut bad cv or dirty cv since boot torn! When in reverse makes noise is usually sign of cv wear. Bearings in cv are used to going forward,then when put in reverse,slack because of wear either on inboard or wheel side cv can cause noise. COULD be wheel bearing,but probably not. First time I repaired one,I replaced bearing thinking is was the culprit,because both cv boots were ok and not torn,but still click clacked in reverse! Ended up being plunging joint. Check before you buy parts that are not needed. Good luck. Hope just cleaning and boot replacement helps.

Trending Topics

Old 08-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just started taking things apart...I got the hub off etc....and the cv joint is hanging free...what do I need to do to pull it out? Do I need to take the gear side stuff off as well?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

before it ook things apart i had it on my lift and tried running in forward/reverse...no clunking noise when all weight is taken off of the machine...

Old 08-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Just remove boot clamp,hit sharply with hammer on edge of cv,should come off shaft (has retaining ring on end of shaft that locks cv in) CLEAN cv from dirt and grit,regrease bearings and cage in cv,install new boot,align cv to where you feel splines line up with shaft and use deadblow hammer or wood block and hammer,knock back on to where circlip seats (can reuse circlip,but best to replace. Use rest of grease in boot kit and squeeze into boot,install clamps. CHECK hub bearing while at it to see if has rough spots or feels worn. Usually wont make noise on lift with no weight,just when a load is on it. If hub bearing good and cv not damaged but still makes noise,could be slack in cv asy that was repaired or plunging joint at gearcase making noise. Good luck let us know

Quick Reply: Click/Clunk nosie from rear rght wheel