Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 500 help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler 500 help please

I am in the market for a new quad, well maybe a good used one depending on the deal. I am looking at a 500 Scrambler maybe. Now in stock form I know these things are less than impresive in the speed dept. I was wondering what a modded Scrammy will do. I was looking at like a Stage 2 kit from AAen. Pipe, Carb, filter, and a clutch kit. Anyone do any mods like this, and how does it affect the 500??? I would like do to wheelies, can a modded Scrambler do wheelies??? Also anyone try to put the pig on a diet, I was thinkming lighter tires and rims, aluminum handle bars etc. If anyone can shed some light I'd appreciate it, I'd like to make the 500 as fast as a 400 ex with a pipe, is that possible? Thanks everyone, please help someone who is the dark about this machine.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah you can shed some weight..

Scramblers are NOT slow stock, a 500 scram should run with a 400ex,
a 400 scram should dust it.

check rittercycle.com and hpd-inc.com as well as hotseatperformance.com

with a pipe the 500 should teach the 400 a lesson in a drag race, dont try to hang with it on the twistys

there are a huge aftermarket for scramblers, all kinds of parts

yeah you can go alum rims, go .190 ... id stick with steel.. itp makes deltas that are pretty light and stronger than any alum..

theres also carbon fibre rims lol..

you cold ditch floor boards and go with pegs.. i like the boards personally

instead of being ashamed of its weight, work with it

give it nasty tires and good suspension, it already handles its weight nice

if you are looking for speed, find a 400 scrambler instead, its slightly faster stock, and can be made to be the
fastest quad you have ever seen

Old 08-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

you can wheelie all day stock

i dunno who told you these are slow...

Old 08-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

A slightly modded 500 will hold its own with a 400ex until topend.You are limited to stock gearing due to the 4x4 system

Old 08-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

When in highschool one of my friends had a scrambler with the same mods as mine (different brands, but same stuff). And another had a 400ex with port/polish head, big bore kit, full exhaust... you get the picture. We used to take our quads to the local drag strip and race them down the 1/4 mile track. The scrammy would win off the line and until it ran out of top end. At that point the 400 would take over, but the point is unless there is a relatively long stretch the scrammy is gona hold its own no problem.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys thanks for all the replys. In reference to the Scrammy being "slow", I was going by what ATV Sport Mag said a few years ago when they did a shootout with the Raptor, Ds, 400ex, and Scrambler 2x4 500. I personally feel top speed is way overated and not nearly as important as some people think. What I'm looking for is acceleration and torque. I want to have fun doing wheeleis, and trail riding fast. In my riding top speed will seldom ever be an issue.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

In regards to losing weight on the machine, I would have to think losing 15-20 pounds would make the machine handle better, and maybe a accelerate a lil quicker. Thats an interesting thing you brought up ftwflh, I had no idea that the gearing for the 4x4 held back the top speed even when modded.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: FlintGeneralsFan

In regards to losing weight on the machine, I would have to think losing 15-20 pounds would make the machine handle better, and maybe a accelerate a lil quicker. Thats an interesting thing you brought up ftwflh, I had no idea that the gearing for the 4x4 held back the top speed even when modded.</end quote></div>

It may hold back the top speed but it sure does get there quicker[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ftwflh

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: FlintGeneralsFan

In regards to losing weight on the machine, I would have to think losing 15-20 pounds would make the machine handle better, and maybe a accelerate a lil quicker. Thats an interesting thing you brought up ftwflh, I had no idea that the gearing for the 4x4 held back the top speed even when modded.</end quote></div>

It may hold back the top speed but it sure does get there quicker[img][/img]</end quote></div>

And thats the thrill for me, acceleration and throttle response. I think I'm going to start searching for a 500 this week. I can't think of ever coming close to top speed while riding except on roads which I got busted by the cops for. I don't ride the dunes either.

Ftwflh, can you enlighten me on the roller clutch. I have heard about these, and from what I heard they are pretty trick for a CVT machine. Can you let me know how big a job it is to install, worth the money, performance gains etc???

Old 08-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Quad Patrol

Roller clutches give you instant shifting with no hesitation and no buttons to wear out.For me it was one of the most noticable mods I have done.Very simple to do just remove cover,belt take bolt out of secondary ,pull off by hand and replace.

Quick Reply: Scrambler 500 help please