Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

AWD Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD Rebuild

Hello all, I am trying to get this awd straight again. I have the classic lock in on its own deal and want to fix it. I have taken everything apart and see that everthing looks to be okay except that the ring gear seems to have a little spot inbetween all of the ramps where the rollers like to ride. I asume that the rollers have started makeing themselves a little groove. I don't want to buy this expensive thing so I am going to try and smooth them out the best I can. I was wondering on if anyone has come across this type of problem. I am thinking of putting the original armatuare plate back in to just make sure that the one that is in there is not magnatized. It does seem to feel little sticky when I try to turn it and I don't want any drag on the cage what so ever, I only changed it because when I relaced my cracked cage I just wanted to put the new style in there.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Range Rover
Default AWD Rebuild

Gooroo
Are you overspinning the back tires with the AWD disengaged and it's locking by itself?
I had this problem and ripped down the front end of my ATP to fix it, couldn't find anything wrong and carted the front diff to a shop to have someone who knew what they were doing have a look at it. I tell the mechanic that it locks up by itself if I spin the rears real fast like doing a donut or something equally stupid. He says, well that's the problem. that's evidently a known issue with the Hillard based system, significant overspin can create enough centrifical force to throw the rollers out of the cage and lock the front end, even when the AWD is in the off position. Per him, once it happens once, it will happen with greated frequency because the shock of slamming the fronts into engagement squeezes things a little out of kilter. He said, either replace the whole shooting match, for about $800 or just don't do donuts, I opted not to do donuts.
Disclaimer: This guy has been working on Polaris bikes a long time so I am giving hime the benefit of the doubt and assuming that he knows what he's talking about. Also while I am pretty mechanical I don't fully understand how the Hillard works so I wouldn't know even if he was full of it.
Q

Old 08-30-2008, 04:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AWD Rebuild

The RZR guys on www.prcforums.com are learning this (expensive ) lesson as well. ATVGOOROO, you might want to browse the Polaris forums on Highlifter, I recall reading something about the John Deere Gator HPX front diffy being the same as the Sporty, but being way cheaper and sturdier to boot.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default AWD Rebuild

yes people have used the JD parts and had them work. its been talked about having so much wheel spin that the front end locks in but in all my wheels ive had ive never run into this(lucky i guess) and ive spun the rear wheels trying to get out b4 i used awd.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default AWD Rebuild

Hey all, I got it all back together and all seems fine. I cleaned everthing up real good with some emery cloth and took some advice from someone on the forum and took the a-plate and beat some dents in it useing a 3/8 bolt and a hammer, I then staightened it out and gave it a test and was pleased on how fast it released. I hope this last for a while.