Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 SPORTSMAN CARB PROBLEM. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 SPORTSMAN CARB PROBLEM. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

JUST HAD MY ENGINE REBUILT AFTER HAVING A ROD LOCK UP ON THE CRANK. IT SET UP FOR ABOUT THREE MONTHS BEFORE IT WAS REPAIRED. EVERYTHING WAS PUT BACK TO STOCK AND THE ENGINE RUN'S FINE EXCEPT THAT NOW WHEN I GO UP A HILL IT SEEM'S THE ENGINE FLOOD'S AND IT IS USING AN EXTREMELY LARGE AMOUNT OF GAS. IT SPITS AND SPUTTERS AND IS REALLY DOWN ON POWER. IF YOU TAKE OFF FROM A DEAD STOP AND NAIL THE GAS IT SPUTTERS AND FLOODS AND THEN CLEANS OUT AND GOES. IT SEEMS TO BE MORE IN THE MIDRANGE THAN ANYWHERE ELSE. IT HAD A DYNOJET JET KIT IN IT WHEN THE ENGINE BROKE AND IT RAN GREAT. BUT AS I SAID IT REALLY FLOODS OUT WHEN GOING UP A HILL OR OVER ROUGH TERRAIN AND IT IS ALMOST UNRIDEABLE. I HAVE TAKEN THE CARB APART TWICE AND IT IS CLEAN AS A PIN. THE FLOAT IS SET AT SERVICE MANUAL SPEC'S I SEE NO GAS LEAKING FROM THE OVERFLOW SO I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO. I DID POLISH OUT THE INTAKE AND EXHAUST RUNNERS IN THE HEAD WHILE IT WAS OFF THE FRAME. THEY WERE REAL ROUGH AND I SMOOTHED THEM OUT. I CAN'T SEE HOW THAT WOULD CAUSE ANY PROBLEM THOUGH. PLEASE HELP I AM GOIG TO HATFIELD AND MCCOY IN TWO WEEKS IF I CAN GET THIS THING STRAIGHTENED OUT IN TIME.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok i had a similar problem with my 02 700!!! FIRST TAKE THE MUFFLER OFF AND CRANK IT UP SEE HOW IT RUNS!! THATS WHAT WAS WRONG WITH MINE AND IT TOOK ME THREE MONTHS AND 2 NEW CARBS TO FIND OUT!! 2. CHECK THE FUEL PUMP THEY ARE BAD ABOUT PUTTING TO MUCH FUEL IN THE CARB AND IF THEY HAVE TOO MUCH PRESSURE IT WILL RAISE THE NEEDLE UP AND FLOOD IT OUT.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Trailblazer

well i dropped down another size main jet and still no difference. so i took off the airbox lid and filter and my god it's a different machine. it will pull the front tires at will almost and no more bogging when going up a hill or nailing it from a dead stop. so i cleaned my filter which is a k and n and reoiled it, put it all back together and it is worse now with the bogging and popping than it was before. has the power of a 300 instead of a 700. so what is the deal now?

Old 09-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you took out the air filter and lid and it ran good then its running way too rich as there not designed to run good w/out the filter. basicly thats why its so hard on gas, because its sucking way more gas then air. did you put stock jets back in and then drop it 1 jet size. if you have too much oil on the filter it will make it run rich as well.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Air box lid off and you are leaning out,more air. STILL suspect carb,jetting Probably on rich side! Reoiled K&N just adding to already rich condition. HAVE you also tried stock needle and setting to see if helps? Dynojet needles tapered awfully thin allowing more fuel. PLUS for your engines sake use either a stock filter or and UNI foam. K&N filters and dirt and sand give me the *******!

Old 09-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the K&N cause the engine damage?.......Caper............

Old 09-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

i thought that k and n filters were supposed to flow way more air than stock? i have the dynojet set up according to directions so why is it so rich? also my service manual say's that it should be 2.5 turns out on the air screw but i have read on here that it's 1.5 so what should i do? it is currently set at 1.5. i will order a stock filter and all the factory jetting and needles for it tomorrow. should i set it up like the manual say's a 155 main and 3rd position on the needle? i live in south carolina but i am going to west virginia to hatfield and mccoy in three weeks. will my factory setup work there also? thanks for your help guy's i was almost about to sell it cheap and be done but i have renewed hope.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Factory settings should be fine,jetting for us Southerners is from sea level to about 6,000 feet(give or take a little) If going higher in elevation main jet may need to be smaller or drop needle down. Have had some customers remove air box lid as you stated above at 9-10,000 feet and ran good also. Good luck

Old 09-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

i live in upstate south carolina my 02 sportsman 700 i put k&n and pure polaris exhaust on i run a 160 main jst set on the 3rd. notch from the bottom and air flow screw out 1 3/4 turns. and it runs great!! where at in sc do you live have you ever been to gulches offroad park??

Old 09-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

HOW ABOUT THE AIR SCREW? GO 2.5 LIKE THE MANUAL SAY'S OR 1.5 LIKE EVERYONE ELSE? I LIVE ABOUT 4 MILES FROM THE NC LINE. I'M ABOUT 18 MILES FROM MONROE NC. AND 21 MILES FROM LANCASTER SC. ABOUT ONE HOUR EAST OF CAROLINA ADVENTURE WORLD.

Quick Reply: 700 SPORTSMAN CARB PROBLEM. PLEASE HELP!!!!!