Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Harbor Freight Winch

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harbor Freight Winch

My opinion is that cheap winches work great, until you really need them. I suggest save and buy a good one or not one at all. Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one on my '96 Magnum. I used it all last winter to run my snowplow and to pull my Eclipse up the driveway. I went to use it last week, just to see if it still worked and It started smoking from the control box and started spooling out on its own. I think it was because my battery had a dead cell and the voltage regualtor was trying to over compensate. I pulled the control box apart and one of the capacitors on the remote circuit board exploded. I just got rid of the remote circuit and wired a toggle switch to the control relays. I didn't really like how the remote worked anyway. You would push the button on the remote and the winch would run for about 3 seconds, then shut off. You had to keep pushing the button to keep it going. As far as pulling power, I thought it pulled pretty well. My back driveway has a pretty decent slope and it pulled my '92 Mitsubishi Eclipse up it with no problem. You can also get a replacement remote circuit on Ebay for about $15. The Ebay ones will stay on until you push the button a second time. I thought about getting one, but I'm cheap.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Aside from the remote circuit being very voltage sensitive, I like it. I just bought another one on Ebay for $35 shipped. I hope this helps.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

went to menards and now the winch is reduced from 49 to 29 dollars so had to pick one up.had it haul the truck a couple times and it just got a little warm, not bad.it only uses two bolts so it should not be too hard to make a plate for the rear underneath.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Range Rover

I have one on my daughter's Timberwolf. It is cheap, and the remote is cumbersome, but it has worked the times we needed it. It has pulled the timberwolf out twice, it has pulled a log blocking a trail, and pulled my Griz out of a ravine I got stupid in. The bike it is on is so light, we have to brace the bike when it pulls something heavy. I mounted it in place of the front rack as the rack is useless on the 250's. I got more than I paid for. I can try and get a photo tonight.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

MY buddy put the 1500# HF winch on his quad,paid 50.00 for it last year..it took us longer to fab it on the poor ole honda that it actualy worked..junk did not even get to plow his whole drive way with it...junk!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

This post has nothing to do with HF winches but it is about winches. Napa approached me yesterday with a book on winches for ATV's. I believe they are arrowhead winches. I have no experience with these winches but thought it may be something worth telling you guys about.

Edit- I beilieve they are a "universal" mount as well. Not model specific but I'm not positive.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

any one see a mount cheap for the rear of a scram,i'm thinking putting it upside down.it would not be guawdy.its unlikely i thionk.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:55 PM
bmr
Weekend Warrior

I bought a winch just like that, and put it on my Honda 250 Recon. Had it about a year now. It's still working fine. I've pullled out bigger four wheelers with it. I set it up with a male/female plug for the hand switch, which I keep in a sealed plastic box. Tools are only as good as you treat them, and upkeeep them.