Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 850 XP Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 01:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 850 XP Shootout

Check out this vid made by Yamaha to see what I was talking about earlier. I like both brands of quads and I would like see Polaris do more comparison's just like the one on this vid that Yamaha did! (In the real world)JMO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yPCO2tipOI

Old 10-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In "real world" tests you can have someone ride like a dork on the competitions ATV and it looks like the ATVs fault when it's really the drivers fault. At about 1:20 - 1:30 in the video I can hear the engine revving, so he was giving it the gas while saying the brakes don't work as good. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] That's not a real test, and it's not fair. I think it sounds silly when he mentions those star-pattern fasteners that require a special tool. I guess that's why Polaris includes a Torx wrench in the tool-kit, huh? Is there <u>anyone</u> who thinks Allen or Phillips screws work better than Torx?

As far as MY real world experience goes, in a mud pit at Atlanta, MI two Grizzly 660s were getting stuck where a Sportsman 500 and a Sportsman 600 were going through. Everyone else just watched. All four were stock except the Grizzlys had K&N air filters. The guys on Grizzlys said their tires weren't as good as the Polaris tires. That's one thing we all agreed on. All four ATVs tires were the same diameter, 25", but Yamaha used lightweight tires with only a fraction of the lug depth.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:01 AM
H20
Trailblazer

I agree Jumbofrank, The Yamaha video is also bias like comparing their 08 grizzly to a 06 or 07 sportsman. All 08 sportsmans came with EBS and ADC..... Probably one of the best engine braking systems out there.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hats-off to Polaris for giving us a GREAT quality stock tire.........and shame-on the others for the potato-skins they use! It basically forces the others to spend big bucks to upgrade just so they can keep up.

Nothing is more frustrating than pulling the same guys out every few miles because they have stock junk tires or 3 wheel drive.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

Check out this vid made by Yamaha to see what I was talking about earlier. I like both brands of quads and I would like see Polaris do more comparison's just like the one on this vid that Yamaha did! (In the real world)JMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yPCO2tipOI</end quote></div>

Those videos are shot "in the real world" and are fun to watch,but are not tests at all IMO. They show some guys riding while the narrator literally bashes every brand that isnt Yamaha. Other than the engine braking portion I could not see how awesome the grizz was over the sporty, any rider can make it look like they couldn't climb a rock, come on. Those vidoes showed squat IMO about the performance of either machine. lol Over half of the supposed faults they pointed out with other brands they failed to even address how the Grizz was better in that area. Personally I saw right through that garbage. JMO But again they are fun to watch.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Come on guys I am one who love Polaris as much as the next guy but you need to give credit where credit is due! Every machine has its good points and bad points. If it were not for the competition and they were all the same it would make for a pretty boring ride.

I think that the new XP is going to be a great machine as they finally have 4wheel disc brakes (at least on the 850) and they finally went with a dual arm setup on the front which is great for lifting and bigger tires.

Now I wish they could use more advance materials in the frame to make them lighter to be better trail machine this is one area IMO that is a very bad decision on Polaris's part. Ya you can say they are indestructible and what not but come on now with the exception of the Can-Am you never hear of frame problems with any of the others. This for my riding style is where the Grizzly wins the battle over a Polaris, it is allot easier to throw around 600lbs machine all day than a 800lbs one.

One other thing that they forget to mention in the Polais video is the fact that the smaller and lighter grizz has a 5.3 gallon tank vs Polaris 4.6-4.8 gal Might not make a differace to you but Riding a bike here in Co. I can tell you that will take me alot further without having to take along extra fuel and to me again that is a big plus as that means more room for camping gear ,and that IMO is more important than the tires that come on a quad!

Lets not kid ourselves in the end it all comes down to the little things that soot each of our needs because they all are extremely well built with no real winner, and it only thing that will matter is does it work for you and get you back to the truck at night?

We all have diff needs in a quad and for me the the Grizz seems to be a better choice atleast until a better trail machine comes along.

One thing we all can agree upon thoe is that it is a great time to be a atv fan! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

I agree that each ATV has strengths and weaknesses, my post wasn't saying the Grizz or any other ATV matter of fact, isn't a great ATV, my comment was solely about the video. Like I said, it's personal preference, you wanted a real world TEST and referenced the Grizz vid as being a good example. Neither the polaris or the Yami video tells the whole story, Yami's may look more "real world" at first glance. But in reality neither are real and unbiased, but the POPO vid is alot closer. Matter of fact the Yami video was actually more biased, it had no controls and no actual results and amounted to little more that talking smack, that was my point nothing more. The Yami vid wasn't a test at all.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Trailblazer

Is it possible Yamaha Nation is struggling to find faults with the new XP? LOL. The only thing the competition has left to complain about is the weight. How's this, remove the Grizz's cheap plastic skid plate, add steel from front to back, add decent 26" tires, 14" wheels and then tell me how much the Grizz will weigh. Some will say throwing a 600 pound quad around all day is easier than a 780 pound quad. First of all, you must be one superhuman man of steel if you can "throw around" a 600 pound quad, and secondly the ride you'll get from the XP (780 pound quad) will make it much easier for me to ride all day. I've got news for you, there all heavy, and you're not pushing any of them out of a deep mud hole by hand.

The Grizzly is a fine machine, they all are, but quit grasping for straws. The Grizzly's title is in serious jeopardy, will be real interesting to hear the conspiracy theories of the competition when the official verdict is in! LOL

Old 10-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: countryboy8602

Is it possible Yamaha Nation is struggling to find faults with the new XP? LOL. The only thing the competition has left to complain about is the weight. How's this, remove the Grizz's cheap plastic skid plate, add steel from front to back, add decent 26" tires, 14" wheels and then tell me how much the Grizz will weigh. Some will say throwing a 600 pound quad around all day is easier than a 780 pound quad. First of all, you must be one superhuman man of steel if you can "throw around" a 600 pound quad, and secondly the ride you'll get from the XP (780 pound quad) will make it much easier for me to ride all day. I've got news for you, there all heavy, and you're not pushing any of them out of a deep mud hole by hand.

The Grizzly is a fine machine, they all are, but quit grasping for straws. The Grizzly's title is in serious jeopardy, will be real interesting to hear the conspiracy theories of the competition when the official verdict is in! LOL</end quote></div>

How can anyone even complain/applaud XP as no one has even ridden it yet except for a few lucky ones that already got there's. I sure it will be a great machine but you will never see me buy a first year machine. Once you get past the wow factor it is just another machine. If I were to buy today I'll stick my money on a proven machine.

And yes the weight of a machine makes a huge diff this is why I have my Raptor as I can ride it fast all day long without giving up the ghost (I know not a fair comparison but you catch my drift). And you don't have to preach to me about the ride as you can see I own one but there so much more to a good machine than just the ride!

Those of you who are so brand bias crack me up as you are missing out on so much more!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

How can anyone even complain/applaud XP as no one has even ridden it yet except for a few lucky ones that already got there's. I sure it will be a great machine but you will never see me buy a first year machine. Once you get past the wow factor it is just another machine. If I were to buy today I'll stick my money on a proven machine.

Those of you who are so brand bias crack me up as you are missing out on so much more!</end quote></div>

Well then...I suppose you would NOT be buying a Grizz then either. Especially since you wouldn't purchase a 1st year machine. According to the video series (9 part series)...the '08 Grizz is all new for '08.

Besides...if you do not have loyalty to a brand then what is there? I mean...if a brand has been good to you...and you like it...then why not be loyal?

I certainly believe in brand loyalty. It is what keeps the companies loyal to there customers. If the customer is not loyal...then why the heck should the company?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

By design...the '09 XP should be a GREAT machine. Of course...only time will tell.

Just my .02

biz
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Polaris 850 XP Shootout