Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 850 XP Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008 | 12:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris 850 XP Shootout

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: joey120373

Joey,

I wonder how many more warranty claims are made on the larger displacement machines? Could that be part of the reason for the higher cost, an 800cc engine is more likely to break parts than a 500? I'm not saying that is the case,just speculating.</end quote></div>

Thats an interesting point. However from a manufacturing point of view, warranty repairs absolutely kill profit margin. Can-am is a reputable company with a vested interest in keeping there image of offering top quality ( frame issues notwithstanding....). So It seems the best way to offer a line of machines is to use
A; as much interchangeability as possible, so that you only have to make 1 engine casing, 1 trans casing , 1 clutch assembly etc that will fit multiple machines.
B; make all the parts the "high performance" spec, that way if they are engeneired to handle the 800, they will have no problem with lesser motor.

I think this is quite self evident in the can-am line up, the 400 is an 800 engine with 1 cyl gone. the machine could arguably be made lighter with a dedicated single cyl. motor but its cheaper to use parts that are already being produced than to re-tool for a completely different motor. The 500 is a twin, where a single is the norm, why? probably still cheaper to de-stroke and bore the 800 than to cast a new cyl for an over bored 400. the 650 has the same stroke but smaller bore that the 800. So from a manufacturing standpoint its about as good as it gets, they can use the same engine case for the whole line up. I would be willing to bet that %95 of the parts (or more) on any two machines are completely interchangeable, sure, the clutch springs and final gearing may be different but thats about all that would have to be.
As an aside, I test rode the 400, holly crap what a dog that was, I mean HORRIBLE!! may have been something wrong with it but it felt like I was wringing the snot out of it to hit 40MPH.
Anyway the point I was driving at is that I highly doubt the manufacturing costs of building a "big bore" vs. a "small bore" differences are anywhere near the retail differential. They charge more for the big boys cause fools like me who know perfectly well that a 400 or 500 is perfectly adequate for My needs will still pay more to ether bolster his ego or is just addicted to power ( I like to think my affliction is the latter ). IMHO Can-am stepped the bar up a few notches with the 800 outlander, a fairly compact 660LB machine with a crapload of power and good handling, Polaris is now answering with the XP, albeit they must have missed all the raving reviews of how the outlanders lighter weight gave it a big edge.

I think My decision to go with the popo is based on two things:
1, a good handling heavy rig is still better than an ill handling light one. This was made quite evident to Me when I hopped off an arctic cat 400 and onto the sportsman. not that the outlander is bad, just that the Polaris is really good and they say the xp is better.
2, power steering, after an all day hike out of the mountains carrying a half elk on My back, not having to fight the handle bars on the ride out is worth every penny.

Honda and Yamaha get it, less weight is always better for a host of reasons, Can-am seems to care about it as well but really, some one needs slap polaris upside the head. they are having to engineer the snot out of a platform to overcome what a good diet would go a long way to fix.

I have to agree with quite a few other posters hear, the best machine is the one that is best for you, My needs are more utility in scope so I am willing to (gag) buy a ~20% heavier machine.The Yamaha is a nice machine but it costs about the same as the others and, sorry, but it is really not in the same class power wise. If I want a trail stormer I will spring for a raptor!!

Old 10-21-2008 | 02:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Joey,

I wonder how many more warranty claims are made on the larger displacement machines? Could that be part of the reason for the higher cost, an 800cc engine is more likely to break parts than a 500? I'm not saying that is the case,just speculating.</end quote></div>

Thats an interesting point. However from a manufacturing point of view, warranty repairs absolutely kill profit margin. Can-am is a reputable company with a vested interest in keeping there image of offering top quality ( frame issues notwithstanding....). So It seems the best way to offer a line of machines is to use

A; as much interchangeability as possible, so that you only have to make 1 engine casing, 1 trans casing , 1 clutch assembly etc that will fit multiple machines.

B; make all the parts the "high performance" spec, that way if they are engeneired to handle the 800, they will have no problem with lesser motor.

I think this is quite self evident in the can-am line up, the 400 is an 800 engine with 1 cyl gone. the machine could arguably be made lighter with a dedicated single cyl. motor but its cheaper to use parts that are already being produced than to re-tool for a completely different motor. The 500 is a twin, where a single is the norm, why? probably still cheaper to de-stroke and bore the 800 than to cast a new cyl for an over bored 400. the 650 has the same stroke but smaller bore that the 800. So from a manufacturing standpoint its about as good as it gets, they can use the same engine case for the whole line up. I would be willing to bet that %95 of the parts (or more) on any two machines are completely interchangeable, sure, the clutch springs and final gearing may be different but thats about all that would have to be.

As an aside, I test rode the 400, holly crap what a dog that was, I mean HORRIBLE!! may have been something wrong with it but it felt like I was wringing the snot out of it to hit 40MPH.

Anyway the point I was driving at is that I highly doubt the manufacturing costs of building a "big bore" vs. a "small bore" differences are anywhere near the retail differential. They charge more for the big boys cause fools like me who know perfectly well that a 400 or 500 is perfectly adequate for My needs will still pay more to ether bolster his ego or is just addicted to power ( I like to think my affliction is the latter ). IMHO Can-am stepped the bar up a few notches with the 800 outlander, a fairly compact 660LB machine with a crapload of power and good handling, Polaris is now answering with the XP, albeit they must have missed all the raving reviews of how the outlanders lighter weight gave it a big edge.

I think My decision to go with the popo is based on two things:

1, a good handling heavy rig is still better than an ill handling light one. This was made quite evident to Me when I hopped off an arctic cat 400 and onto the sportsman. not that the outlander is bad, just that the Polaris is really good and they say the xp is better.

2, power steering, after an all day hike out of the mountains carrying a half elk on My back, not having to fight the handle bars on the ride out is worth every penny.

Honda and Yamaha get it, less weight is always better for a host of reasons, Can-am seems to care about it as well but really, some one needs slap polaris upside the head. they are having to engineer the snot out of a platform to overcome what a good diet would go a long way to fix.

I have to agree with quite a few other posters hear, the best machine is the one that is best for you, My needs are more utility in scope so I am willing to (gag) buy a ~20% heavier machine.The Yamaha is a nice machine but it costs about the same as the others and, sorry, but it is really not in the same class power wise. If I want a trail stormer I will spring for a raptor!!</end quote></div>

I like your thinking! As far as a trail stormer goes I that is the exact thing I bought a Raptor and itis by far the best decision I have ever made and decision that by far out performs any 4x4 made! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 10-21-2008 | 04:18 AM
Banned

That was nicely written joey, I cannot agree with you more when you say that "the best machine is the one that is best for you". Before riding the Sportsman 800, I was so close minded to Polaris, on account of their reputation with overheating and breaking down, BUT, I decided to be open minded and take out the Sportsman for a nice long demo ride. My machine toss up was between the Brute Force 750 and Grizzly 700. Both great machines, but what won me over on the Sportsman was the power 'which is very important to me' and the ride.

Old 10-21-2008 | 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

countryboy,

Hopefully you will never be old and weak or disabled, but some of us need EPS. I guess that makes me "less of a man". You give country boys a bad name.

I got rid of a Polaris to get a Grizzly, nothing against Polaris; Grizzly just fit my needs better.

Old 10-22-2008 | 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

So I got off work early today and went to go test ride a few 4wheelers.
First stop was the popo, they did not have any with eps, so I took a short "test ride" in the crowded parking lot and gave up as it was usless to try to actually ride it in 5 yard burps. initial impression:
1-It was not as big as I thought it would be, a good thing.
2-It felt as big as i thought it would be, not such a good thing ( but not unexpected )
3-The narrow seat is phenominal, I didnt fully apriciate it untill i climbed on other machines ( more on that later ) but hats off to polaris, that seemimngly insugnificant feature tunred out to be a big selling point for me.
4-stearing effort was minimal even without EPS, good thing
5-overall build quality looked "ok", polaris could learn alot from Can-am on how to finish and present a motor. A close inspection of the engine revieled dull gray cheepish looking castings and anything that might add bling like dual TBs or stainless exaust pipes are all covered up.May just be me but I like seeing the motor, especially if it is a good looking piece.the XP motor reminded me of an old tractor, was best just not to look. They could also learn alot from Yamaha about switches and controls feel and quality. most of the plastic switches were functional, but far from modern in quality and apearance.
6- motor.... cant say cause I never got over 10-15MPH, felt strong but to do it justice will require a more thorough test drive. I can say this, it is VERY smooth. It may not be pretty but feels strong and well built.
7- I hate dealers. Ok, you dont have the one I want, fine. You cant get me the one I want in the time frame I need it (****), but ok, I understand. Now spend the next half hour of my time tring to convince me that the one I realy want just happens to be the one you have in stock, and the one I thought I wanted is immpossible to get and overrated, not fine. NO, I want the one I want. Its My hard earned money damn it and if its too much trouble for you to get me the one I want then Ill go get it myself, its called the internet and the more I deal with dealers the more I love it. Ok, Im ranting sorry......

Next in My rushed tour was the Can-am and Yammaha dealer. The Can-am dealer at least let me ride the thing (09 800r) down the street. impression:
1- tons of power, but still not the same machine I climbed on almost two years ago. possible they need to break in? loaded up from too many short little test drives? dont know, it pulled like mad but felt loaded up. or maybe the lawyers won out and can-am is just tuned them so the front stays down under hard accell.
2- back to My motor fetish, this motor looks as good as it runns, high quality castings, fit and finish give asurance as to the level of quality inside. Yea, its eye candy, but also tells alot about can-ams' attention to detail.
3- handling is good, but again not a propper test ride, stearing is light, responsive an braking is good. overall it is feels as good as the polaris, but a parking lot does not a good test make.
4- felt lighter and smaller than the popo, but not much. I think this has more to do with its angled off fenders, makes it feel smaller where the popo is much more square. so the popo feels bigger when in reality they are very close to the same size.
5- HOLY CRAP is the seat and leg spread wide, almost felt unnatural after riding the popo. Had I never sat on the popo I wouldv'e never noticed how far apart ones feet are to clear the clutch cover and gen cover. But now I found myself disliking something I never even noticed before.
6- fit and finish are top notch. And it is still the best looking machine out there IMHO.
7- 3 YEAR WARRANTY, and polaris is 6 months???????? come on polaris....

Now the Yamaha 700 grizzly with EPS.
1- WOW, compact machine, forgot how much I prefer a smaller more streemlined look to the more audatios and bulky offerings. also scorea a close second in my book for looks, a real close second.
2- ok, its 55lbs lighter that the can-am, feels more like 80. Wow, probly a lot to due with the power stearing but this thing is smooth and "feels" very poised and capable. I am impressed. not that the others were bad, this thing just felt more like a sports quad that a utillity, again, probly due to the power stearing as much as the lighter wieght but I like it.
3- power delivery was smoother than the other two. I would not have even paid attention to the others somewhat jerky starts had I not ridden this. not a big deal, and something most likely easily fixed on the other two with some clutch tweeking, but added alot to the feel of the Yamaha.
4- engine was ok, course after riding two twins it was doomed from the start.it is a good motor that feels well matched to the machine, but it is far from having the same fun factor as the other two. realy I think Yamaha is shooting itself in the foot by compairing this machine to the 800's. they would do better to compair it to other 600-700's.
5- ok, mayby I am a wuss (34 years old 5'9" and a fairly solid 200lbs ) but its just cool to lock the front diff and drive around like I was on a 2wd machine, EPS rocks.
6- fit and finish, top marks here. the 4wd and diff lock switch is just plain well designed and built. I like the two brake levers, mainly cause I have never liked the foot brake, it is almost impossible to get a feel for the rear brake by stepping straight down with a boot onto the lever. While it kind of seemed querky at first to use two levers, it as nice to hit the rear brakes and be able to control them rather than just having them lock-up.

7- if Yamaha would build this exact machine with an 800 to 900 twin ( how cool would a twin 450 raptor based motor be ) they could back up there blow hard videos with more than just smack talk.

Overall I came away re-enforcing some veiws I already held. the polaris is built like a brick **** house and is heavy but handles well inspite of it. The can-am is a solid machine and hard to find any fault with. again, if they would offer EPS.....
The machine that surprised me the most was the Yamaha, I can see why the folks that own them love them. It truly is a well rounded and well built machine. But they need to step up, quit telling me I dont need all that power, I know I dont need it but I want it just the same. build A grizz as close to what you already have that actually puts a maniacle grin on my face when I cob it and I will buy it.

Old 10-22-2008 | 02:07 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: tripleR

countryboy,

Hopefully you will never be old and weak or disabled, but some of us need EPS. I guess that makes me "less of a man". You give country boys a bad name.

I got rid of a Polaris to get a Grizzly, nothing against Polaris; Grizzly just fit my needs better.</end quote></div>

What did the old, weak and disabled do before EPS came onto the market a couple years ago? LOL, no your not less of a man TripleR, was just commenting on the previous hype and hoopla raised by Yamaha when they introduced it, the ONLY thing in my opinion that supposedly boosted them to the so called top of the ATV chain. Most country boys I know would agree on the power steering issue.

Before I made my buying decision I rode most of them, either through test drives or my brothers (Polaris and Cat). I found the Yamaha to be stiff, and vastly underpowered compared to the others. Sure the EPS was nice and easy, but consider it unecessary. I just might buy one down the road however, I would consider the low power output to be safer for the WIFE, and yes she would appreciate the power steering..... maybe when I get old and feeble... I'll scramble to get on it first. She'd probably even like the ape hanger handle bars too. Would keep the shitty stock tires and wheels on to keep it light, so she could "throw it around". LOL

The Can-Am 800 and 650 had plenty of power, but not a huge difference between the 2, or between them and the Polaris. Like the looks, but didn't like the hollow, rectangular single spar frame running down the middle, one smack on a rock or stump and it looked like it would buckle. Someone said the Can-Am was 120 pounds lighter than the Sportsman?? What version are you talking about? The non-XT version weighs in at 660 pounds dry, the XT version adds another 80 pounds, hhhhmmm, 740 pounds and a skid plate hasn't been added yet.

Brother's Arctic Cat 650H1 had trouble spinning it's tires in loose gravel, had bump steer that would throw you into the trees, and was a crude, ill handling utility machine if there ever was one. The TCat is the ONLY Cat that puts out any amount of power.

Didn't try the Kawasaki or the King Quad. The Kaw would have good power but didn't like it's 4x4 system. The King Quad is underpowered like the grizzly and plain old dog's *** ugly. The Kawasaki, Cat, King Quad and Grizzly all come with **** tires and wheels to keep the weight down, and I'm not into spending a shitload of extra money when I can get everything included stock, for less money.

Bottom line, the Polaris has a ton of power, a cadillac ride, is faster than hell, is a blast to ride and will go over or through anything. Oh, and I won't be doing ANY work with it. Those that say the Polaris 800 isn't sporty is a moron. True, a Sportsman wouldn't seem overly "sporty" compared to a Raptor, another news flash for you, neither will the Grizzly. Stronger and lighter materials? Like what the polymetal alloy T1000? LOL! Dodge57Hemi, looks like like you've already got your dream quad why are you still searching? Here's an idea, get a Can-Am Renegade, it's faster than your Raptor, has 4x4, will go through a hell of a lot more, and I imagine would be sporty enough.

Old 10-22-2008 | 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

Nice review Joey,
Good to read some well written opinions. Better than the " I rode it and it "sucked" or "was awesome. lol
I have to agree about the Polaris engine. I love to see a nice looking powerplant and that is one of the 1st things that struck me when I started looking at Polaris long ago...the motor is ugly no getting around it. Hard to make a parallel twin look good when compared to a V motor, but I dont think they even try. Function of form? I guess at least the hide it,lol.

Old 10-22-2008 | 11:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: countryboy8602

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: tripleR

countryboy,

I got rid of a Polaris to get a Grizzly, nothing against Polaris; Grizzly just fit my needs better.</end quote></div>

What did the old, weak and disabled do before EPS came onto the market a couple years ago? LOL, no your not less of a man TripleR, was just commenting on the previous hype and hoopla raised by Yamaha when they introduced it, the ONLY thing in my opinion that supposedly boosted them to the so called top of the ATV chain. Most country boys I know would agree on the power steering issue.

Before I made my buying decision I rode most of them, either through test drives or my brothers (Polaris and Cat). I found the Yamaha to be stiff, and vastly underpowered compared to the others. Sure the EPS was nice and easy, but consider it unecessary. I just might buy one down the road however, I would consider the low power output to be safer for the WIFE, and yes she would appreciate the power steering..... maybe when I get old and feeble... I'll scramble to get on it first. She'd probably even like the ape hanger handle bars too. Would keep the shitty stock tires and wheels on to keep it light, so she could "throw it around". LOL

The Can-Am 800 and 650 had plenty of power, but not a huge difference between the 2, or between them and the Polaris. Like the looks, but didn't like the hollow, rectangular single spar frame running down the middle, one smack on a rock or stump and it looked like it would buckle. Someone said the Can-Am was 120 pounds lighter than the Sportsman?? What version are you talking about? The non-XT version weighs in at 660 pounds dry, the XT version adds another 80 pounds, hhhhmmm, 740 pounds and a skid plate hasn't been added yet.

Brother's Arctic Cat 650H1 had trouble spinning it's tires in loose gravel, had bump steer that would throw you into the trees, and was a crude, ill handling utility machine if there ever was one. The TCat is the ONLY Cat that puts out any amount of power.

Didn't try the Kawasaki or the King Quad. The Kaw would have good power but didn't like it's 4x4 system. The King Quad is underpowered like the grizzly and plain old dog's *** ugly. The Kawasaki, Cat, King Quad and Grizzly all come with **** tires and wheels to keep the weight down, and I'm not into spending a shitload of extra money when I can get everything included stock, for less money.

Bottom line, the Polaris has a ton of power, a cadillac ride, is faster than hell, is a blast to ride and will go over or through anything. Oh, and I won't be doing ANY work with it. Those that say the Polaris 800 isn't sporty is a moron. True, a Sportsman wouldn't seem overly "sporty" compared to a Raptor, another news flash for you, neither will the Grizzly. Stronger and lighter materials? Like what the polymetal alloy T1000? LOL! Dodge57Hemi, looks like like you've already got your dream quad why are you still searching? Here's an idea, get a Can-Am Renegade, it's faster than your Raptor, has 4x4, will go through a hell of a lot more, and I imagine would be sporty enough.</end quote></div>

I was going to stay out of this one as I think you are funny with your biased opinion, since you called me out all I need to say is your I'll imformed about quads. And thinking a Reny is faster than a Raptor proves my thinking! Good day to you sir.

Old 10-22-2008 | 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

Countryboy, Before EPS came out we (old weak and disabled) rode 2WD mostly and if we rode a 4X4 we did not ride them very much and did not particularly enjoy it, so I bought a Rhino when they came out. A surprising number of UTV/RUV's are replacing ATV's in this area and they are not all old people. Later I bought a like new Polaris Sportsman 700 to help a relative out and rarely rode it. You could not pay my wife to get on it. Overall it was a really nice bike, but I just did not enjoy riding it due to the heavy (to me) steering and the hand brake control. Yamaha came out with the improved Grizzly in 07, but since I NEVER EVER buy the first production year of anything I held off. EPS is a MUST for me as are independent front and rear braking or a foot brake to control both.

I have no doubt that the Polaris is "to you", everything you describe, but others will differ and are articulate in their reasons why as proven by Joey. If the Polaris was in reality what you describe, in essence the best damned ATV ever to be built to date, then the other manufactures would go out of business, but I don't see that happening. I cannot say the new Polaris is not a good bike as I have not looked at one because I simply cannot live with the braking system due to a disability. I think Can Ams, Hondas, Kawasakis, Polaris, Suzukis and Yamahas are all good bikes for different people for different reasons. Due to my age and a life time of hard work, I can afford to own one of each, but I just like the Grizzly better than any of the others for my needs. There is no such thing as one "perfect bike" and we are not stupid if we disagree with you. The "Country Boys" I know bear no resemblance to you, they don't ridicule other people or their machines.

Old 10-22-2008 | 04:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Why do so many "real men" take EPS as such an insult to their manhood. Every other person I talk to about it including the snotty polaris saleskid's patent responce is " that's just there for the women ". I liken it to a wench, very rarely is it needed, but when you do need it it sure is nice. don't hear many of these "real men" calling people names for wanting or buying wenches.

EPS makes the machine better, the same way that putting two wheels on the front did, putting 4 wheel drive on did, locking diffs did, independant suspention did, disk brakes did ,water cooled motors did , fuel injection did, bigger motors did, and on and on. each of these improvements have drawbacks and each was resisted by like minded people as being not needed, to complicated, to heavy, to expensive to this to that.... blaa blah blah.
Had everyone taken all the nay-say-ers to heart we would all still be riding 230c.c. baloon tired 3-wheelers with no suspention. crappy rear only drum brakes and wearing ourselves out on cold mornings pulling in the string to get it stared cause it flooded cause the float stuck. but hey, its lighter and cheeper right? And we're "real men" for resisting any kind of innovation and sticking to our guns.

My take: EPS does not make you a wuss or a girl or a show off, it does show that you like having the best tool for the job.

Just wait till the long overdue antilock braking systems start being an option...
Joe

Quick Reply: Polaris 850 XP Shootout