Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 850 XP Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008 | 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris 850 XP Shootout

I've ridden both machines back to back on the same trail in a test in SC at caroilina adventure world. I got to ride twice. In December and n Feb. It was put on by gongos research to test and compare a "NEW'' atv. They had all the names covered up and no name on the XP. It was an independent group study. They gave us a spec sheet on every machine. I knew what every machine was. I was pretty sure the XP was a polaris but only as a guess because they did a great job of hiding the normal polaris stuff. The machine you see now looked quite different than now. I got on and my hands and knees and picked over it with a fine tooth comb and concluded it was a polaris based on a few parts that were on other polaris models. We got to compare 6 models in December. There was the prototype, (the XP) A sportsman, Yamaha Grizzly 700, Outlander 800, Honda Rincom, and a King quad 700. We all rode every machine on a 2 mile trail ride that put the atv through about everything. We rated each machine in every catogory you could imagine. We then talked about the ride as a group and discussed our likes and dislikes about each machine compared to the prototype. It was a good machine but I would not had traded my sportsman 4 it. I got invited back in Febuary and they only had three machines. Thes machines were the top 4 rated in the last test. The prototype, the Sportsman, the grizzly, and the canam 800. The 2nd test was a big change from the first. We got to get more seat time and got to ride twice. We rated all the machines and did our discussion on them and the protype was the winner hands down. We later got the results and the paper work showed us (ALL GROUPS, MY GROUP WAS ONE OF MANY) that everyone rated as an average as the prototype(now known as the sportsman xp), the sportsman, the grizzly, the canan 800, was last of the top three. The Honda and the suzuki were rated last by a wide margine and is why they did not have them in the 2nd test. The canam rated lower than the suzuki in every class by a little. But any catogory that delt with power the canam and the prototype were pretty even. THe canam was rated one of the worst for trail manners. We were never told what any of the models were. If you are an atv nut like most of us are on here, you just knew what they were. That was the most fair of any test I have seen.(I was part of it) The riders were from all different brand owners. THey did not push us on any machine and encouraged any critcisim on the atvs. They were truly wanting our input as riders and it showed when we were invited back to take the 2nd ride. The inprovments they made were great. I have not ridden a finished product. I have seen them in the dealerships. If they did anymore inproving on the XP then they over did themselves. They could have saved the other inprovements for later year models. I give Polaris a big pat on the back for how they got the new Xp ready for the market.

Old 10-27-2008 | 12:52 AM
Range Rover

ncriderforks that's a great post. I think there are a lot of us sitting on the sideline waiting for some extended usage reports. This report really builds a lot of confidence in the new XP. It's funny how people get brand specific. I have two 600 Grizzly's and I'm ready for a change. We hunt up in the Northern Rockies off the Alaska Highway. We have done this for the last twenty years and end up Quading in for 40 miles to set up a camp so we pull trailers and hopefully all our gear plus a Moose out. I started with a Honda three wheeler that was 200 cc with a lever for reverse. That was a big deal and when the 250 Big Red came out it was a real power house. Then the four wheeler etc. Now after many friends driving Yamahas and having to pull a lot of Polaris chain drive machines out I have a bit of apprehesion but I have to ask myself why because I have one 600 Grizzly in for a rebuild and a mechanic telling me that my other one is starting to burn oil also. He also mentioned that he had a 660 in that was burning oil also. They are really telling me what a great machine the 700 Grizzly is and I believe it is as well but I still think it is time to change. I think all the new machines are good but any brand can have a lemon and hopefully when you change brands you don't end up with it. I think the XP is one of the nicest looking machines out today and with all the new changes it could be the machine that leads the market place for a long while.
Take good care,
Dave

Old 10-27-2008 | 12:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I've ridden both machines back to back on the same trail in a test in SC at caroilina adventure world. I got to ride twice. In December and n Feb. It was put on by gongos research to test and compare a "NEW'' atv. They had all the names covered up and no name on the XP. It was an independent group study. They gave us a spec sheet on every machine. I knew what every machine was. I was pretty sure the XP was a polaris but only as a guess because they did a great job of hiding the normal polaris stuff. The machine you see now looked quite different than now. I got on and my hands and knees and picked over it with a fine tooth comb and concluded it was a polaris based on a few parts that were on other polaris models. We got to compare 6 models in December. There was the prototype, (the XP) A sportsman, Yamaha Grizzly 700, Outlander 800, Honda Rincom, and a King quad 700. We all rode every machine on a 2 mile trail ride that put the atv through about everything. We rated each machine in every catogory you could imagine. We then talked about the ride as a group and discussed our likes and dislikes about each machine compared to the prototype. It was a good machine but I would not had traded my sportsman 4 it. I got invited back in Febuary and they only had three machines. Thes machines were the top 4 rated in the last test. The prototype, the Sportsman, the grizzly, and the canam 800. The 2nd test was a big change from the first. We got to get more seat time and got to ride twice. We rated all the machines and did our discussion on them and the protype was the winner hands down. We later got the results and the paper work showed us (ALL GROUPS, MY GROUP WAS ONE OF MANY) that everyone rated as an average as the prototype(now known as the sportsman xp), the sportsman, the grizzly, the canan 800, was last of the top three. The Honda and the suzuki were rated last by a wide margine and is why they did not have them in the 2nd test. The canam rated lower than the suzuki in every class by a little. But any catogory that delt with power the canam and the prototype were pretty even. THe canam was rated one of the worst for trail manners. We were never told what any of the models were. If you are an atv nut like most of us are on here, you just knew what they were. That was the most fair of any test I have seen.(I was part of it) The riders were from all different brand owners. THey did not push us on any machine and encouraged any critcisim on the atvs. They were truly wanting our input as riders and it showed when we were invited back to take the 2nd ride. The inprovments they made were great. I have not ridden a finished product. I have seen them in the dealerships. If they did anymore inproving on the XP then they over did themselves. They could have saved the other inprovements for later year models. I give Polaris a big pat on the back for how they got the new Xp ready for the market.</end quote></div>

Wow, thanks for the post. That is the kind of test ride I would like to take before buying a new machine. Its good to see independant testing like this take place. I would love to see all the data.

Old 10-27-2008 | 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

This thread is was getting like a freeway accident..... you know it going to be gruesome but you still have to look.

Old 10-27-2008 | 01:11 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: upnort

This thread is was getting like a freeway accident..... you know it going to be gruesome but you still have to look.</end quote></div>

I'm trying to decide whether to use a broom or a shovel to clean it up.

Old 10-27-2008 | 01:22 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

Ok, there's too much to shovel.

We can can try to get back to the original topic, without the insults, or I can do the easy thing and dump the thread.

Old 10-27-2008 | 01:31 PM
Trailblazer

Response to Joey's recent comments that were nasty enough to be deleted just a few momenst ago. I'm sure this will be deleted too. I try to get out, "but they keep pulling me back in..."

Aaaawww, someone hurt poor Joey's feelings?? Can I send you a box of kleenex? Your were a week late to the party, try coming up with a response in the month that the original was written in. Get over your blind rage and read my entire posts, you'll plainly see I'm not brand loyal. Unbeleivable. I could care less who you are, what your opinions are or what you buy. The "All Hail Joey" comment was in repsonse to the love fest you were getting after some of your previous posts. I guess if I say "with all due respect" first I'm good.... How long did you spend under the desks of your superiors to get that lofty position in the ivory tower your in? Quit crying like the girlyboy you are when someone makes a negative comment for comedy value at your expense. No offense by the way........

Old 10-27-2008 | 02:51 PM
DCT
Banned

I took a ride on an 850XP, and really liked the machine. Like everything else, it's a personal decision. My son has been riding ATV's a lot longer than I have. He has owned Suzuki, and ARCTIC CAT, and rides a lot of other machines when he his with his buddies. He always tells me that you can always find something you like better about one machine when compared to another.

With that said, I take the "shootout comparisons" with a grain of salt. I suspect there is a lot of truth to the results... and maybe a "stretch" of the truth to some of the results. I'll be much more interested in hearing the feedback of users in this and other forums on the new XP's.

Old 10-27-2008 | 04:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Response to Joey's recent comments that were nasty enough to be deleted just a few momenst ago. I'm sure this will be deleted too. I try to get out, "but they keep pulling me back in..." </end quote></div>

My Apologies' , Rough monday morning and too much caffine..... I too was trying to make a joke but it was in poor taste.

Old 10-27-2008 | 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

ncriderforks,

As you have had a chance to ride the "XP" quite a bit I was wondering if you could answer a question. With the engine mounted where its at is " hot legs & butt " a problem?

Quick Reply: Polaris 850 XP Shootout