Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Brought her home yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 05:46 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Brought her home yesterday

it better if the 800 will do high 60's for sure. but your right that is pretty fast on these bikes.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like that green with them wheels...

Old 10-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

sweet new bike

Old 10-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Bill35

I really like that green with them wheels...</end quote></div>

I will second that. Nice wheels![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

I've never been a fan of Polaris' green but that green looks sweet! Heading out right now to look at a couple 850's, no Stealth Black yet which is what I am waiting for. Hopefully I'll decide today whether to wait for EPS or not.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: opie1har

snip...The steering is so easy, it really does feel like it has the power steering, even though it doesn't. I really don't see the need for the one with EPS unless you have a disability. I just couldn't imagine the steering being any easier.

</end quote></div>

I just got back from checking out a non-EPS 850 and I totally agree. I had ordered an EPS unit due to a very recent shoulder injury and surgery. Today I changed my order to a non-EPS unit. The steering is silly easy. Sitting still I could turn it from lock to lock with one hand fairly easily. I had my 800 right next to the 850 and the difference in steering is dramatic. Mine is due to ship Oct 16th, could have brought one home today but I'm holding out for black, lol.

On another note 11:1 compression does seem a little high for 87, but if the ignition timing is set up with minimal advance it should be ok. That should not be causing the backfiring though, to low octane would result in detonation(pinging). You can have a lean backfire or a rich backfire, or a backfire caused by improper ignition timing. Backfiring when getting out of the throttle is usually a rich backfire. A comon scenario with EFi is the TPS is out of adjustment dumping excess fuel. When you let out the ECM thinks you are still in the throttle slightly and continues to add fuel which ends up in the exhaust where it ignites. A lean backfire usually occurs when you quickly accelerate and initially quickly open the throttle. A lean backfire is more concerning and a lean condition can cause engine damage alot easier than a rich condition.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Range Rover

I think your green looks good GPS. The machine really looks good.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

On another note 11:1 compression does seem a little high for 87, but if the ignition timing is set up with minimal advance it should be ok. That should not be causing the backfiring though, to low octane would result in detonation(pinging). You can have a lean backfire or a rich backfire, or a backfire caused by improper ignition timing. Backfiring when getting out of the throttle is usually a rich backfire. A comon scenario with EFi is the TPS is out of adjustment dumping excess fuel. When you let out the ECM thinks you are still in the throttle slightly and continues to add fuel which ends up in the exhaust where it ignites. A lean backfire usually occurs when you quickly accelerate and initially quickly open the throttle. A lean backfire is more concerning and a lean condition can cause engine damage alot easier than a rich condition.</end quote></div>

Well said HIGHOCTANE! If the TPS is out of adjustment and the 850 is dumping excess fuel, then eventually the plug will foul. Plus...the exhaust pipe will have a dark powder'ish look to it.

IMO...it is something the dealer should examine. Plus...they need to get better advice from Polaris on the 850...and not say, "use 90+ octane" as a fix.

biz
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-12-2008, 12:58 AM
Trailblazer

I am really liking the look of these new models. Does any one know anything about the new roller clutch?

Old 10-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ozarkhunter

I am really liking the look of these new models. Does any one know anything about the new roller clutch?</end quote></div>

From what I have heard ther clutch is the same style/design as the old clutch but has been "tweaked for better performance". And it turns the opposite direction due to the longitudinal engine mounting, so it that sense it is a new clutch. That was said by one of the guys on another board that I presume works for Polaris, not sure how accurate it is but the guy usually knows his stuff.

Quick Reply: Brought her home yesterday