Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'09 Sportsman XP tires -- SNOW Report

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '09 Sportsman XP tires -- SNOW Report

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RooferWent for a ride in 3 inches of fresh dry snow on frozen ground. The traction is terrible, but gives huge power slides.

I think they will do better in wetter snow. I went down to 2 psi and nothing changed. It really has too much power for these tires. They are light, short, narrow, and no bars on the tread.

I'll see how these do in deeper snow, unless I find a wheel I like. Then I will be swapping them out.</end quote></div>

Thanks for the report Roofer!

I tend to agree with what is being said about the "power" of the 850 and being in the snow. YES...the weight comes in handy now, but with 70hp...and all the torque...it would seem the XP would seem at a disadvantage with the stock OEM tires.

The big problem is that there are "NO" 26x10R14 rear tires as replacements! The closest is a 26x11R14. Come on aftermarket catch up!

biz
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful if you lower tire pressure as 2 years ago we went out at night with a group & we came to an area that had a hard packed ruts & I lost the bead on 3 tires by the time I got out. It was -10 out..ruined my night real quick.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Nightclerk

Be careful if you lower tire pressure as 2 years ago we went out at night with a group & we came to an area that had a hard packed ruts & I lost the bead on 3 tires by the time I got out. It was -10 out..ruined my night real quick.</end quote></div>

That would suck...-10F? What did you do? Luckily you had a group with you. Of course riding at night alone is always a bad idea.
I wouldn't have to worry about that though,at
-10F,unless someone was dying i'd be either indoors,or if camping, in my gortex fart sack,lol. I know you Northern guys are hard core..I'll admit I love the snow and cold weather and all the stuff it brings,hunting ect.,but only as long as I have the right gear and real warmth is VERY near by.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Range Rover

We started out earlier in the day then it got real cold later at night, I had to drive it out to a highway parked it in a driveway & my wife got a ride back to the cabins on another bike & she brought back my truck. It was slow going on the trails but when I went to cross the highway...it was a pig to steer with 3 flats. We were dressed for the cold so it wasn't too bad out.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

Theres supposed to be a big storm moving into the northwest this weekend so I went and picked up a set of chains for the XP. I just don't have any faith in the terriblethons![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
What a shame it is to spend that kind of money for a quad and you can't trust the tires!

Old 12-10-2008, 08:01 PM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: rancher55

I just don't have any faith in the terriblethons![IMG][/IMG]

What a shame it is to spend that kind of money for a quad and you can't trust the tires!</end quote></div>

I agree... Polaris dropped the ball on that one. Who makes the Terriblethons anyway? (BTW - whoever came up with that name must be really "Cool"[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ) LOL LOL LOL

Old 12-11-2008, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

I agree... Polaris dropped the ball on that one. Who makes the Terriblethons anyway? (BTW - whoever came up with that name must be really "Cool"[img][/img] ) LOL LOL LOL</end quote></div>

The tires are from Carlisle. Funny thing is...I just checked there website and the 26 Terrathon's aren't even listed.

biz
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Pro Rider

biz did you check under the terriblethons aren't listed, lol

Old 12-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

I got to use my snow plow finally! We only got about 3"-4" of snow (still snowing lightly) but it was enough to try the plow out and see how the tires did in the snow.
The plow worked great but the tires did alot of spinning. I never got stopped because of a lack of traction but the tires seem like they just don't have big enough lugs to really get a good bite! The lugs they do have are too close together! I'm glad we didn't get 10"-12" or I'm sure it would have been harder to push with these tires!
I've got to get some BIGHORNS![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
rancher

Old 12-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

I plowed down the road that comes up to our place and on the way back up the terriblethons [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] were spinning with the plow raised up! They just had to spin and claw all the way! (over .5 of a mile!)
Kind of fun but I'm sure that if I don't get tires soon I'll wear these out!LOL![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: '09 Sportsman XP tires -- SNOW Report