Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Question for 550 XP owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for 550 XP owners

LOL! No you didn't hit a nerve![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I really do think it would be an interresting test though!!

Damn, everytime I stop-by the Pol dealer that XP850 looks SO sweet! VERY tempting!!..............then I read a topic like this Already a Problem Child!

Why can't Pol come-out with a SOLID 1st year model ATV?

Old 12-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

mtpockets-you are kidding right?? Do you realize how he rides ATVs? lol,nothing against Wolf,that's his business,and even he isn't bashing the machine so much as he is the service he is not getting....
Back when Wolf made his first post about the 850 where he compared it to his 800 and gave examples of riding conditions in which the 850 outperformed the 800,I made a statement that if the machine had a weakness he would find it. Climbing hills so steep and long that at WOT in highrange the machine could only muster 20 something miles per hour maxed out...ect That is extreme riding IMO...Wolf admitted he rides very hard. IMO that type of riding can break anything. Ok,so the brake caliper clearance caused the wheels to lock up because of rocks getting wedged in between them. I'm willing to bet that when this happened,he didn't realize it and continued to lay into the throttle resulting in alot of damaged parts(correct me if I am wrong Wolf) Is this a first year Problem? Come on.. how many others are riding in mud filled with rocks just the right size to wedge into that spot? And how many are doing it at WOT? Like I said not hating on WOLF,his money,his machine but somewhere you have to draw the line between normal riding and extreme riding the will likely cause a failure,just a matter of time an circumstance. I think WOlFs riding falls out side the norm.
Anyone can break anything in the right situation,but isolated incidents do not warrant it being a "first year problem". Even Wolf said "it wasn't the machines fault".
While there maybe a few hints of first year problems that thread was a poor choice of examples. And I have yet to see any confirmed common problems. One or 2 people posting about a similar problem doesn't automatically mean there is a common problems IMO. So far my machine is solid,way more so than the 08 800 I had. I liked alot,but you have to admit it had its quirks. We just didn't call them problems because we were used to them and chalked it up to "that's just the way that machine is". Yes there can be first year bugs,this isn't just a Polaris problem,alot of companies who build transportation machines have first year issues. Usage is so varied that you cant test for every circumstance. Happens to automotive companies all the time when they come out with a completely new model. Do some research,you'll see. I can give some examples if you'd like?
Look into first year problems with the 2004 Nissan Titan,or the 2003 Mustang Cobra,those are just right off the top of my head. I too was a little worried about 1st year problems and the bottom line,so far my machine has impressed me and slowly I am losing my first year jitters.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

VERY good agrument OCTANE.

After work today I'm going to go take another peek at one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

BTW, I wonder why the TIME is off one hour on our Forum? It's 11AM not 10AM

Old 12-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

Go to the "profile" page, you can change the time zone..maybe yours got changed. Times right on mine.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Snedd800

Get ya a good deal on a used 08 800 brother....lol</end quote></div>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: WOLF1

Umm.. No.

Been there done that already. It was great but not even close to the same machine.</end quote></div>

Old 12-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: miande

I got a chance to look at a 550 today. No test drive as it was on the 2nd floor of the dealership but I did pull forward and back a few times on the showroom floor. My question, does the clutch engagement get any smoother after you get some miles on the belt. I was surprised, and disappointed, with the engangement. Nothing subtle about it. One second you are just sitting and the next second you lurch forward 6 inches. Felt like my 500 when it is cold and the clutch sticks. It was slightly better in High but not much. I tried an 850 and it was much more controlable. I really thought I wanted a 550 but the clutch engagement has me concerned. I would get an 850 but really have a hard time justifying the extra expense for 30 more HP that wouldn't get used. So how about it, does it get any smoother with age?</end quote></div>

Getting back to the original topic, since it's been almost 5 days, just wondering if you rode one outside the showroom floor (LOL!) or made a decision yet MIANDE?

Old 12-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Trailblazer

Yep, rode another 550 and no different. There is just no way to ease into it. Idle at 1650 and then slowly start giving throttle, 1700...1800....1900....2000...2100 and....blast off. It feels exactly like dumping the clutch on a standard shift. As much as I would like an XP, I can't justify spending that kind of money on a 550 when I dislike the clutch engagement. I think for many folks it is not an issue as we have certainly heard from several 550 owners who love their machines. But for me, it is a deal breaker. The other issue I have is with local dealers. They only want to knock off a couple hundred bucks, if anything. If I bought one, it would be from Abernathy's which is 6 hours one way. Don't mind the trip as it saves me $1500 but with so few, and very small, local dealers I would probably experience terrible service if I ever had a warranty claim. On a side note, my closest dealer tried to steer me to an 07 700 demo, or an 09 500. Kept saying they were just as good as the XP. I think he is worried about getting stuck with inventory.

While I was looking at the XP I also rode a Grizzly and think that is what I will buy. I can get an 08 700 EPS for $6570 plus pick up a 2500# Warn winch for $69. While the Grizzly is a much different ride than the Polaris, I think it will be fun to have a lighter, more nimble machine. I'll still have my 500 to ride when I'm tired of being on the Grizzly so I think it is a good solution. I also think my 15 y/o son is going to enjoy the Grizzly more than a 550 or the 500 we have now.

I do not believe the Grizzly is the perfect machine but it is a good machine. I considered an 800 but no power steering, worse gas mileage, smaller tank and I did not want to deal with the heat on my leg. Since I am not into mudding or running anything over 26" tires, I think the Grizzly will hold up just fine. We also have a greater selection of Yamaha dealers and one has a very large service department, similar to a car dealership. Service is completely separate from sales so don't think they are going to care where I bought my machine.

My oldest graduates this May and the other in May 2010. Perhaps by then Polaris will have introduced the 850 XP-X2 and I will get one of those to replace my 500. Would love to have an 850 now but just not in the budget.

I greatly appreciate the feedback everyone has given and I look forward to following everyone's experiences with their XP.

Mike

Old 12-06-2008, 05:06 PM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: miande

Yep, rode another 550 and no different. There is just no way to ease into it. Idle at 1650 and then slowly start giving throttle, 1700...1800....1900....2000...2100 and....blast off. It feels exactly like dumping the clutch on a standard shift. As much as I would like an XP, I can't justify spending that kind of money on a 550 when I dislike the clutch engagement.
Mike</end quote></div>

Mike,

Yep, it's your money, and if your not comfortable with the machine... walk away... and you did. Besides, you picked out an awfully good machine in the Grizz. We have a guy that rides with us that has a 660 Grizz... great machine. He rides it hard, and never has had a problem.

Have fun.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

mtpockets-you are kidding right?? Do you realize how he rides ATVs? lol,nothing against Wolf,that's his business,and even he isn't bashing the machine so much as he is the service he is not getting....

Back when Wolf made his first post about the 850 where he compared it to his 800 and gave examples of riding conditions in which the 850 outperformed the 800,I made a statement that if the machine had a weakness he would find it. Climbing hills so steep and long that at WOT in highrange the machine could only muster 20 something miles per hour maxed out...ect That is extreme riding IMO...Wolf admitted he rides very hard. IMO that type of riding can break anything. Ok,so the brake caliper clearance caused the wheels to lock up because of rocks getting wedged in between them. I'm willing to bet that when this happened,he didn't realize it and continued to lay into the throttle resulting in alot of damaged parts(correct me if I am wrong Wolf) Is this a first year Problem? Come on.. how many others are riding in mud filled with rocks just the right size to wedge into that spot? And how many are doing it at WOT? Like I said not hating on WOLF,his money,his machine but somewhere you have to draw the line between normal riding and extreme riding the will likely cause a failure,just a matter of time an circumstance. I think WOlFs riding falls out side the norm.

Anyone can break anything in the right situation,but isolated incidents do not warrant it being a "first year problem". Even Wolf said "it wasn't the machines fault".

While there maybe a few hints of first year problems that thread was a poor choice of examples. And I have yet to see any confirmed common problems. One or 2 people posting about a similar problem doesn't automatically mean there is a common problems IMO. So far my machine is solid,way more so than the 08 800 I had. I liked alot,but you have to admit it had its quirks. We just didn't call them problems because we were used to them and chalked it up to "that's just the way that machine is". Yes there can be first year bugs,this isn't just a Polaris problem,alot of companies who build transportation machines have first year issues. Usage is so varied that you cant test for every circumstance. Happens to automotive companies all the time when they come out with a completely new model. Do some research,you'll see. I can give some examples if you'd like?

Look into first year problems with the 2004 Nissan Titan,or the 2003 Mustang Cobra,those are just right off the top of my head. I too was a little worried about 1st year problems and the bottom line,so far my machine has impressed me and slowly I am losing my first year jitters.</end quote></div>

HIGHOCTANE is absolutely correct. My riding style and locations are tough on equipment. Once again, my problems are not the machines fault, I just found a weak spot. Most riders will never have this problem with rocks in the wheels.