Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sticking throtle

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticking throtle

My Dads sportsman 500 efi (06 i think) throtle sticks about halfway when its cold out. when it happens the throtle will open normally but sticks about halfway back and then wont move at all. also wont start when it happens.

i figure thats its just the cable, maby got some water in there and its frozen.

anyone else had this issue, is it worth trying to clean it out or just replace the cable?

Old 12-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sticking throtle

try adjusting the slack, in the cable, there is a rubber boot just down from the throttle, slide it back, and adjust it to about 1/8" of slack

Old 12-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sticking throtle

Might be faulty, mine feels great even at 20 below zero.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sticking throtle

if the throttle is sticking most likely (if its a cold climate) you got water in thier and its freezing. if you had a cable luber you could spray some deicer spray in their and help right out. dont use wd-40 as its a watewrbased spray and willl freeze up again. imo.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sticking throtle

WD-40 is actually a Stoddard-solvent based Water Displacement formula with no water in it. You spray it on stuff to force water out.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sticking throtle

I found out the HARD way that the throttle sticks on my machine! A few weeks ago, deer hunting...my starter quit working a few days prior so I had to pull start...pulled it over...machine took off riding a wheelie at what seemed like WOT!!!!! By itself, ghost rider, flying through the woods! The look on my face had to be priceless!! Hit a tree at about 30 mph after ghost riding for about 30 yds. List of things that need replacing...headlight pod, front composite bumper, front composite rack, lower headlights, front aftermarket bumper, Left A arm, left A-arm shaft, left footwell. The impact pushed the front left tire back 3" and into the footwell. Trailered the machine back to my buds shop, got it in the shop removed the a-arm and heated/bent it somewhat straight and the shaft which was at like a 45 degree angle!!. Bent the Aarm supports back straight. Heated and bent the creased aftermarket bumper somewhat straight. Duct taped the headlight pod and footwell back together. Fabbed up some bushings to get my front basket back on. Hooked a strap to the bumper of my truck and to the front rack support...a few jerks pulled it somewhat straight. And wd40'd the throttle cable. I'm sure my insurance co would have totaled it...I priced out the above parts and labor...my machine is barely worth that! SO, the machine looks a little battered but surprisingly runs straight, no issues. The front left tire is still about 1/2" back compared to the other...but it runs true! I'm in the process of ordering the parts(ebay)...the most evpensive parts are the plastic items.

Kind of funny, when it happened I called my bud with the shop and asked what he was up to tonight, I aksed if I could bring my machine in as it's pulling a little to the left. Told him I think the caliper is hanging up a little?? When he opened the garage door the look on HIS face was priceless as he started laughing!

Old 12-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sticking throtle

How we love our machines! Did anyone notice Wenty never mentions how he's doing after hitting a tree going thirty! an entire page on the crash,the tree bark in his mouth cause it was wide open on impact,the mending of the precious_____ATV.nothing on the Human Condition.......Priceless!!!

Trending Topics

Old 12-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sticking throtle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>my starter quit working a few days prior so I had to pull start...pulled it over...machine took off riding a wheelie at what seemed like WOT!!!!! By itself, ghost rider, flying through the woods! </end quote></div>

To sum it up...I wasn't on it.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sticking throtle

Ghost rider. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] LOL