Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1997 sportsman 500

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 sportsman 500

Sportman 97
I sent those pics through e-mail. let me know if you get them.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Good Look on the Info, naw I didn't get any pics....Ok so today, I played around with the atv before reading your message and... I have discovered somthing else. Ok so I took a "power tester" the device that you ground and stick to a hot wire and the bulb lights up in the middle. I stuck the device on the wire leading to the ignition coil and turns out I was getting fire but it is dim. I only realized it when the sun went down and it got a dark out. So the bulb is barely lit and I think I remember reading that if the ignition coil doesn't have enough power it won't fire the spark plug. ....The stater is the lil device that is close to the fly wheel and creates elec. right?

Old 12-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mag 425

Good Look on the Info, naw I didn't get any pics....Ok so today, I played around with the atv before reading your message and... I have discovered somthing else. Ok so I took a "power tester" the device that you ground and stick to a hot wire and the bulb lights up in the middle. I stuck the device on the wire leading to the ignition coil and turns out I was getting fire but it is dim. I only realized it when the sun went down and it got a dark out. So the bulb is barely lit and I think I remember reading that if the ignition coil doesn't have enough power it won't fire the spark plug. ....The stater is the lil device that is close to the fly wheel and creates elec. right?</end quote></div>

The tool you are referring to is a test light I assume. I don't and never have used a test light for ignition system problems so what you stated doesn't help me figure out what is going on with your machine.
An ohmeter is the best way to check this stuff out.
The stator is underneath the flywheel and the pulser coil is on the outside of the flywheel.
I would start your troubleshooting by disconnecting the black wire to the reverse limiter, check spark-if no spark, disconnect the black wire to the cdi and check spark-if no spark, you need to check the stator. Use an ohmmeter, not a test light. I don't have the specs here but should at work. Try those first and let us know what happens.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so I know where the CDI Unit is, but where is the Reverse Limiter? Is that the smaller black boxs wit all the wires coming from it as well. Also i will be sure to check you troubleshoot ideas. Ok I was using the test light to determine if i was getting any fire. What i did was i tested the ignition coil while pushing the start button which is when i realize i was only getting a lil bit of fire coming through the line.
I have some rust on the magnet on the fly wheel could that obstruct then amount of elec. flowing or being generated. I will also pop the fly wheek off and check the stator. Also when I check the reverse limiter do i plug the black wire back when i check the cdi unit?

Old 12-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

Ok so I know where the CDI Unit is, but where is the Reverse Limiter? Is that the smaller black boxs wit all the wires coming from it as well. Also i will be sure to check you troubleshoot ideas. Ok I was using the test light to determine if i was getting any fire. What i did was i tested the ignition coil while pushing the start button which is when i realize i was only getting a lil bit of fire coming through the line.

I have some rust on the magnet on the fly wheel could that obstruct then amount of elec. flowing or being generated. I will also pop the fly wheek off and check the stator. Also when I check the reverse limiter do i plug the black wire back when i check the cdi unit?</end quote></div>

The reverse limiter is a black box with a yellow, white, green and black wire(if memory serves) It's under the front cover. Leave the limiter unplugged when you unplug the cdi if you want. Doesn't matter. If you get spark with both unplugged, plug one back in and check again. Should tell you which has a problem(if either do have a problem that is)

Old 12-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I will check it out. Imma be away from my the house so maybe until monday when I get chance to check it out. Will hit you back if i find out anything more.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

I will check it out. Imma be away from my the house so maybe until monday when I get chance to check it out. Will hit you back if i find out anything more.</end quote></div>

Sounds good. Have a Merry Christmas.