Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HD springs (Front)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD springs (Front)

Well its been 2 weeks since the creation of this thread and it nice to see thread resurrection.
Thanks for all the input. I would like to add the HD springs at least on the back. A friend of
mine claims that he just adjusted her rear springs and he has a better center of gravity
with having the lift.

My problem is there is so many bits of pieces of information that its hard to put all together
to come up with the an amiable solution. I guess its just preference and different for
everybody! I for one don't want to sacrifice the ride comfort. As that is what I am more
trying to achieve but I don't want to make my wheeler anymore unsafe either with lifting it by whatever
means (tires size, springs, spacers, lift kits, etc.) Ho hummm!

Thx,

R'

Old 01-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you get some good progressive rate springs they start out soft then get stiffer. You have comfort and support, just like a good bra. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider

I have been using the rubber spring spacers as i said above. However, after reading a different post on the quad being hard to steer with a plow on - and that this was attributed to the front suspension being overloaded - I decided I may need a set of front springs because I have the same problem.

So - I am going to get a set of heavier duty springs. Right now leaning towards the Polaris HD given the price.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

If you get some good progressive rate springs they start out soft then get stiffer. You have comfort and support, just like a good bra. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

JB
Progressive springs would sure be the best way to go, but who offers them?

Old 01-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Trailblazer

I have the Polaris HD front springs on my touring, huge difference. They bring the front end up I would say almost 2", with 26" tires I have close to 13" ground clearance in the front now. They eliminate bottoming out the front suspension on aggressive bumpy trails, and also eliminate any front end dive in higher speed cornering. They are easy to install, I just lifted the front of the machine off the ground and used ratchet straps to compress the springs a little in order to start the top nut on the strut. As far as the ride not being as plush...it is a bit rougher, but not really noticeable, you don't go home all beat up at the end of the day because of the stiffer suspension. I would say well worth the cost...which isn't a huge $ amount anyways...highly recommended for sure.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea I would like to add that to my years
wish list. HD springs seem the way to go!

Thanks for all the input, great thread!

Regards,

R'

Old 01-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

Here are some numbers to consider when talking about springs. The stock front spring on the 800 is a progressive rate spring 75-111. The HD spring is a straight rate spring of 128#. The Highlifter spring is also a straight rate spring. It claims to be 25# over stock and I believe that is on the high end so the HL spring has a rate of 136#. The EPI is a progressive rate spring only on the older struts. It is 77-132. However, on the 05 and newer is is a single rate spring of 120#.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Miande -

I don't know about the others but those numbers
don't make sense to me. Could you explain it?
And what is the bottom line?

Thanks buddy!

R'

Old 01-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer

The numbers represent the weight/pounds of pressure required to compress the spring one inch. On a progressive rate spring the initial compression rate is lighter than the later rate. So for stock, 75 pounds is the initial compression rate. The farther the springs compress, more weight is required to compress them per inch. So for the first inch of compression 75# is needed. To compress the springs 2 inches you might need 165 pounds of pressure (75 + 90). To compress the springs 3 inches you migh need 275 pounds of pressure (75 + 90 + 110) With a progressive rate spring the force required, per inch of compression, increases as the spring is compressed. With a straight rate spring the force per inch is constant. So, to compress a HD spring 3 inches will require 384 pounds (128 + 128 + 128).

Bottom line, the softest ride will come from stock. Next is the EPI - 120#, followed by the Polaris HD-128#, with the stiffest ride being the Highlifter-136#.

The EPI will give you the ride closest to stock and it will remove the sag. It will return your quad to its original ground clearance.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

So for those they need the extra "touch" so to speak without sacrificing much ride comfort it would
appear that EPI is the more suitable product?

Regards,

R'

Quick Reply: HD springs (Front)