HD springs (Front)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD springs (Front)

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bigt2317

Thanks Miande!

I looked at the pure polaris website and they list the X2 HD spring at a straight 128#, so really the HD spring would be quite a bit stiffer at slow speeds than at higher speeds, right? I think the 800 X2 springs might be the way to go since they are still progressive and smooth. I think I'm going to order the 800 X2 springs for the '07 X2's and the WE320000 springs for my '96 500. Do you think that this little of a bump up from stock on both machines will be enough? We carry winches on the front of all of them, gear bags with guns and such in them, plus a decent size ice chest or fuel on the back. You think the stright # ones would be better? Also is my stock '96 spring a progressive or straight rate? What is the rating?</end quote></div>

I believe that your 96 original springs were straight but they were later discontinued and replaced with the progressive rate. I have a winch and bumper on mine and it has no sag with the EPI's. I could easily add 30# of gear on the front rack with no appreciable difference to the suspension. You can always add the TM2 adjusters in addition to the new springs. That is what I did so if they ever start to sag or I have an extremely heavy load (like plowing) I can stiffen them up.

Compared to your current springs, the HD's are an increase of 73# per side so that is an additional 146# of resistance. It doesn't sound like you are carrying all that much additional weight on the front. One other thing you might consider on the X2 is simply adding the TM-2 adjusters. If your springs are OK under normal conditions and you are only looking to stiffen them up when your racks are loaded then adding the adjusters might a good solution.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Okay just so I am clear. With the stock front springs on my SP800 I have about a 90lb load that I can do, right? And now when I add my HD springs that should increase me by 73lbs on each end, a total of 146lbs on top of the 90lbs or I just increased by 56lbs?

Either way a great improvement but just so I don't get too CHIPPY and I
don't want to overload, just for future references.

Thanks for the great info.

R'

Old 02-07-2009, 07:11 AM
Trailblazer

Does any one know if the Polaris HD springs would fit a 2002 Sportsman 700?
What is the part no. if they do exist...

Just called my dealer and he said Polaris isn't showing the HD front springs for my model year...??

This doesn't sound right to me.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:58 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

I went on the Polaris web site. You can do a product search.
Once you find that you can see what all models it fits. Also,
the Part# info. Check Page 1 and 2 of this thread, I believe
its: 2876153 but double check against the Polaris web site.
Front HD springs. I got mine for $42 for the set. Today I plan
on installing them, let ya all know!

Regards,

R'

Old 02-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Pro Rider

YEAH Rtick! get those springs installed !! you will love em!!

Old 02-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: The original Firehawk

Does any one know if the Polaris HD springs would fit a 2002 Sportsman 700?

What is the part no. if they do exist...

Just called my dealer and he said Polaris isn't showing the HD front springs for my model year...??

This doesn't sound right to me.</end quote></div>

I think your dealer is correct. The Polaris HD springs are for the longer travel strut and will not fit your 2002. You would need to look at EPI or HL for HD springs.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer

Yup, that's what I've found so far. No Polaris springs for me, looks like EPI's are in order...

Old 02-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

I DID IT! -- Job complete!

Well the first side wasn't that easy b/c we didn't know what we were doing. The Polaris instructions
SUCK! (AS usual, sorry for the rant, but I can say that cuz I am a huge Polaris product customer)
Coming back here on this thread helped out going over what I needed to do.

The springs didn't compress as easy as I thought and really MY PROBLEM was really in the
jack of the front. I had the jack too much on the left end and finally figured out after compressing
the spring with two straps and trying to muscle it more to make it FALL through that IT WOULDn't budge!
(With the kids interruptions, lunch break, etc. etc. it took over an two hours). So then I back the floor jack
and lifted the front and had the a-arm able to drop down FAR enough that let the whole STRUT Assmbly fall
under to remove the spring, LOL...LOL

2nd side (Right) about 15mins to remove and replace, LOL..LOL

Check it out: I took pics along the way and thought I would emphasize on some areas I didn't see peoples
PICS on. I agree it is an EASY Install job, helps when you know what to do. Also, I had only backyard drive
testing, can't wait to hit a trail. I did notice it does STEER a little easier and when I attached MY PLOW, WOW! The front hardly dropped down at all. It works alot better, a nice improvement and I highly recommend it!

Link: http://rides.webshots.com/album/569994133haCsjO

Cheers,

R'

Old 02-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Trailblazer

Good job! Pictures were also nice.
I was looking at my 2002 SP and taking the front end off looks like a nightmare.
The gas tank and front plastic / fenders are one piece...UGH!!

PS: Couldnt tell in the pictures, how much did the new springs raise the front end?

Old 02-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Firehawk, I think mine got lifted around 2" if I remember. As, Rtick said, it makes it alot easier to steer because there is less scrub. I'm not sure if the springs he used would fit your 02 though.

Quick Reply: HD springs (Front)