Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HD springs (Front)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:26 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD springs (Front)

One idea, if you haven't done so already, is to create a free acount on the forum at highlifter.com and ask those guys about the HL springs. It seems that most of those guys over there have the HL or EPI springs and you could get even more info before making your decision. The guys at highlifter seem to be pretty hardcore mud bog competitors, and many of them really know their stuff.
Just an idea. [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

opie1har -

Thanks for the info. Yea I figured from all
the data I gathered that these HD Polaris springs
should be sufficient for my needs. I couldn't afford
the EPI's but thats not to say if I desire to experiment
with their products I couldn't down the road, by then
there will PROBABLY be a better product, LOL.

Thanks,

R'

Old 01-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

10-degrees outside, but couldn't wait any longer to install the new springs. Supposed to get 4-8 inches of snow and wanted to test out the new springs plowing. Here is the link to the details.

This was a very easy install.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Nice install and good pictorial. I prefer help from this forum even over Stock directions if you can
believe that. It seems that all their paper instructions are a little hard to follow at times and always
seems like a piece of hardware is missing from the equation. Anyone else ever feel that way when
installing their products? No bash, I am a Polaris fan obvious but its like Microsoft. I use it, I know it,
I support it but I ain't afraid to make a comment about their weaknesses b/c doing so will always push
the envelope even more for someone to make improvements or them to make a better product.

R'

Old 02-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: miande
Polaris did not publish the rate for that spring but it is a straight rate spring. It was later substituted by a progressive rate spring #7042312. That spring has a rate of 64-113. That was the exact spring I had on my 04 500 and it sagged terribly. I replaced it with the EPI WE320000. They do not show this spring for the 500 but it fits. They show it for the 600 and 700 but there is not difference in the hubstrut and strut between the 500, 600 & 700. The spring that EPI lists for the 03/04 500 is a straight rate spring. That is the reason why I went with the WE320000 because it is a progressive rate spring. At slow speed it is slightly stiffer than stock but once you start pushing it you will be very pleased. </end quote></div>

Could I use this spring on my '96 sportsman 500? Have the struts changed at all? I'd like to get some HD springs and have been looking at each brand. If I can use a progressive rate made for a newer model on my '96 I'd be set.

What about the Polaris HD springs? I can only find them for '05 and up?

I'm also probably going to change my dad's '07 X2 500 front springs to HD ones, are the X2's any more HD than my stock ones?

Old 02-03-2009, 07:20 AM
Trailblazer

bump, anyone?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Trailblazer

Hey bigt,
The spring for the 96 and 04 are the same, #7042312. So even though it uses a different strut and hubstrut, the travel is the same so they use the same spring. Therefore, any front spring that will fit a 2004 500/600/700 will fit your 96 500.

As for the HD springs, they only made them for the longer travel struts that came out in 05 and they will not work on your 96.

The EPI WE320000 is a great spring. It runs about double the price of stock but that is only the difference between $70 and $140 for the pair.

On the X2, it uses a progressive rate spring that is 55-90 so it is slightly softer than your 500; however, they are not interchangeable anyways. If you are looking for a stiffer spring for the x2, get the springs for the 800 X2 as they are rated at 75-111.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks Miande!

I looked at the pure polaris website and they list the X2 HD spring at a straight 128#, so really the HD spring would be quite a bit stiffer at slow speeds than at higher speeds, right? I think the 800 X2 springs might be the way to go since they are still progressive and smooth. I think I'm going to order the 800 X2 springs for the '07 X2's and the WE320000 springs for my '96 500. Do you think that this little of a bump up from stock on both machines will be enough? We carry winches on the front of all of them, gear bags with guns and such in them, plus a decent size ice chest or fuel on the back. You think the stright # ones would be better? Also is my stock '96 spring a progressive or straight rate? What is the rating?

Old 02-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Trailblazer

Rtickwad - A little late in responding but my father passed away and it has taken me a while to get back to some sense of normalness (if that is a word) I did finally get my springs on both front and rear. I put the Polaris HD on the front and the EPI HD springs on the rear. What a huge difference. It sits high and doesn't squat at all with just me on it. With an adult passenger on the back it sags ever so slightly. As for the handling, I'll have to wait for some snow to melt to get on a good trail ride but so for this is a great mod for the price. I have well under $200 in the 4 new springs and that includes having the rears shipped to my house in Ontario Canada. I like it alot.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

RPO -

Sorry to hear about your loss, please except my condolences! Thanks for the post, I too got the HD springs for the front
but I hadn't installed them yet. I may do it this weekend. YES, I really want to hear how great of a ride improvement you
have with the rear EPI HD addition, if all goes well I may be a copy-kat, LOL and add them too.

Let us know man and thanks for the post!

Regards,

R'

Quick Reply: HD springs (Front)