Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I want a plow

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 08:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want a plow

After battling my snowblower once again ... My wife and are are talking about getting a plow for the '08 X2 500 that I have.

I was hoping you can help me decide what I need.

My driveway is fairly small, it is about 3 car lengths long, and about 20 ft wide, however I need to plow several hunderd feet through my back yard to the woodline so I can walk my dogs and get rid of thier wastes. The yard is grass and has one small hill the size of a septic mound. I don't want to completely destroy my yard (so I plan on having the blade lifted 4-6 inches in the yard. We ususaully get several 18-24inch snow storms, but most of our storms are 6"-12". usuauly the snow is quite wet and heavy.

Because of the path I want to clear, I want to be able to "angle the blade" and can't figure out by the videos that I watch and storied that I hear how the blade 'angles"

I like the Glacier blade system and hear good things about it, what is the diff between the glacier I and glacier II system? Any other blades I should look at, where should I get one, and how much should I think about spending?

Old 12-31-2008, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default I want a plow

I have the 60" GlacierI system and it will angle 2 times, Left or right. I love the ease of system (on-off) and so far it's verry durable!

Old 12-31-2008, 09:00 PM
DCT
Banned
Default I want a plow

If I had to do it all over, I would have gone with the Glacier I rather than the Glacier II. I think the mount (probably the plow too) is stronger.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer
Default I want a plow

good to know ... how about damage to my lawn?

Old 12-31-2008, 09:45 PM
DCT
Banned
Default I want a plow

It will probably tear up the lawn a bit... no doubt about it. If the plow doesn't tear it up, the skids will.

BTW, they are easy to angle. There is a lever on mine. You push it back, turn the plow to the one of the next two slots (depending on how much of an angle you want) then release the lever to catch the slot you want.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer
Default I want a plow

ok, is it possible to plow with the blade up a couple inches? I don't mind walking though a couple inches of snow, I have Saint Bernards so they don't care is there is twenty feet of snow.

Thatnks for the information about angulating the blade.

How big should the blade should I get?

Old 12-31-2008, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default I want a plow

yes you can plow with the blade up a little bit, if you do any types of side walks or other rough surfaces, I have heard of the glacier plows coming off, if you don't do any of this, I would go with a glacier one for sure, they are alot stronger from what I've heard, for a 500, I'd go with at least a 50" or larger, depending on what brand you go with

Old 12-31-2008, 10:09 PM
Trailblazer
Default I want a plow

The skid plates won't harm the lawn, I have a nice lawn with an underground sprinkler system and I plow about 8 feet back on the lawn, no problem as long as the ground is frozen. The blade always tore up the lawn until I got the skid plates. I keep the blade 1/8th inch off the ground.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:24 PM
DCT
Banned
Default I want a plow

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: wilburg321

ok, is it possible to plow with the blade up a couple inches? I don't mind walking though a couple inches of snow, I have Saint Bernards so they don't care is there is twenty feet of snow.

Thatnks for the information about angulating the blade.

How big should the blade should I get?</end quote></div>

Yea, I have a dirt/rock driveway that needs to be cleaned bare or it ices up pretty bad. So, I have the blade right down to the bottom. You could certainly set the skids so it's up off the ground and hope that the skids don't tear up the yard.

As far as blade size goes, I wouldn't go smaller than 54" if you are going to angle the blade... and the 60" would be better yet. Your 500 will handle the 60" blade with no problems, unless you are plowing heavy snow... uphill.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:01 PM
Trailblazer
Default I want a plow

excellent -- good to know!

Quick Reply: I want a plow