Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 500 will not start with starter but starts fine

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:29 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 500 will not start with starter but starts fine

Sorry, not familiar with that specific model. Try PM OldPolarisTech for specific model info.

Good luck.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input. I will try to PM Old Polaris Tech for some insite.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mud Runner

Do you know which coil is the Sensor Coil? Is the the coil on the external part of the flywheel?</end quote></div>

Assuming you are talking about the pulser coil, it is the external coil. it needs to have a specific gap. I BELIEVE it is .016 to .030 at the tab on the flywheel.

I have seen machines with broken magnets in the flywheel that would crank with spark and not fire, but would fire with the pull rope. Since you just replaced the stator, I doubt that is an issue.

I have also seen(on my 500 sportsman that was trashed and given to me) that the starter bolts were not tight. One was the wrong bolt, and both were loose. It cranked fine, had spark, wouldn't start though. After putting the correct bolts and getting them tight, it hasn't had a problem starting with the electric starter since.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the tip. This thing has given me a headache for a while. It died a few times in the past weeks while plowing, I did find the key switch to be acting up. Cleaned up the key switch contacts worked for a while. Then it died altogether. Found the readings on the Stator we're bad. Put in new stator now it will only start with the Rope not the Estart. Motor cranks good but no fire. I've bypassed the starter button thinking that maybe soething was happeneing when it was being operated this made no difference.

Can someone explain what the Pulsar coil does?

Old 03-21-2016, 12:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Any luck?

Did you ever solve the issue? My 03 scrambler is doing SAME thing. I've been to 3 techs and no luck.. Everyone puts on new parts but just guesses. Soooooo frustrated. Last one said must be low compression. Starts up with key once warm but not at all when cold. Ugh!!!

Old 03-21-2016, 05:24 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003Scrambler
Did you ever solve the issue? My 03 scrambler is doing SAME thing. I've been to 3 techs and no luck.. Everyone puts on new parts but just guesses. Soooooo frustrated. Last one said must be low compression. Starts up with key once warm but not at all when cold. Ugh!!!
Try this and see if it helps.no spark to plug when using electric starter - Page 3 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community If battery and connections are good,this has been the most common thing to happen on the 500 engine.Has a wide range of clearance between the pickup coil and flywheel(.016-.040) but closer the better to get a better spark.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, quick update .... Called Polaris dealer that "fixed it". He is standing behind his "low compression" ruling for the no start with key. So I checked it myself and found 75lbs. Specs are 70-90 so although low, it's within spec. He suggested I'd get higher compression by pulling it, that's why it starts that way. Well I only get same psi pulling it. So called second dealer as I'm not opening engine without second opinion. Unfortunately their tech is booked for 10days. Was just referred to a retired fellow that is supposed to be really good and open to look at it. So I'm on my way there now.....ugh
Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Try this and see if it helps.no spark to plug when using electric starter - Page 3 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community If battery and connections are good,this has been the most common thing to happen on the 500 engine.Has a wide range of clearance between the pickup coil and flywheel(.016-.040) but closer the better to get a better spark.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 2003Scrambler
Thanks, quick update .... Called Polaris dealer that "fixed it". He is standing behind his "low compression" ruling for the no start with key. So I checked it myself and found 75lbs. Specs are 70-90 so although low, it's within spec. He suggested I'd get higher compression by pulling it, that's why it starts that way. Well I only get same psi pulling it. So called second dealer as I'm not opening engine without second opinion. Unfortunately their tech is booked for 10days. Was just referred to a retired fellow that is supposed to be really good and open to look at it. So I'm on my way there now.....ugh
Keep us all posted on this please as I'm curious as to the "fix" as well ( I posted with you on the Polaris Forum ).

Old 11-27-2021, 10:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Same problem

Originally Posted by Mud Runner
I replaced the stator on my Polaris Sportsman 500. Now it does not start with the starter, it turns over good but nothing. If you pull the recoil it starts right up. Anyone experience this? Thanks for the help Jamie
Did you ever resolves this i have the same problem