Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sport quad for trail use

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport quad for trail use

I already posted a similar question in the Yamaha forum but with all the experience and knowledge in this forum I would like to hear a few opinions from you guys. Sorry if I am out of line and off topic, if so let me know and I will delete it (if I can delete) My kid buys this 2001 Raptor 660R and when I took it for a spin the gearing seems so tall that IMO it won't be suitable for any technical trails. In the other forum I want to confirm that the performance is typical for that bike. Based on my experience from my enduro/hare & hound racing days a 660 four stroke would be able to pull stumps out of the ground and not be like his Raptor that has a minimum speed of 10mph. Plenty of power once out of the shoot and moving at approx 10-15 but nothing below that.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just an idea, but why not re gear it if you think it needs more low end for slow trails. i havent had a sport bike in years, but remember how much i hated it w/ the clutch going thru very hard areas.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Predator was geared high when I bought it. Too high for my likeing anyway. I did mostly woods riding, with some hill climbing and smaller jumps. To cross a creek I would have to constantly feather the clutch and rev the thing til it sounded like it was gonna blow up. What a pain. I changed the rear sprocket 1 tooth larger (I Think) and all problems solved. Good low end power, I could pull out just by slowly letting out the clutch and no more feathering through the technical woods sections. I dont know what I lost on top end but with a top speed of 74 out of the box I dont think it matters. When the hell are you gonna go 70 in the woods. I know what you are talking about 100%, and if I were you I would try a sprocket change first. I would think it would be the cheapest option too.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you've been there, done that. It is miserable having to fly over all metal bending/denting obstacles or feather the heck out of the clutch. That's good to hear that a single tooth on the rear made that much of a difference. If one tooth was good do you think two would be better or would that be to much. Did you find the change improved the ratio in other gears also?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Pro Rider

On my first ride I was disappointed in the high gearing. I was coming up from a 250X, and was expecting more. I knew it had the power, I just couldnt use it except for high speed. I forget how it goes but I'm sure someone will chime in. I think 1 tooth on the front would equal 2 teeth on the rear, or vice versa but I think I'm right. It depends on going two on back. I think if I would have went two it would have been a lot more torquey and maybe too much. For me the 1 tooth larger on the rear was just right. The way these new big bore bikes run I dont think it hurts the other gears. They wind like 2 strokes and have power out the wazoo. I would just try one first and see the difference. Try the sprocket thing and I think you are gonna wake up a whole new monster......Mwahahahahah

Old 01-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

I dropped one tooth up front on my preddy and it did make a noticeable difference. I agree with Rowe, just changed the front sprocket cuz it was easy and only $15. Now I can keep the front wheels in the air as long as I want! LOL! I had a 2002 raptor 660r and shared the same complaint. However, mine never lasted long enough to modify.....those damn trees anyway!