Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I need help...please

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help...please

Is that just a volt meter? But yea I do need to get one.

Ok, that diagnostics test doesnt sound too bad, I do have to charge up my battery because right now it's just a brick on 4 wheels. I think I have heard somewhere that the stator on Polaris's doesn't charge the battery it just holds it where it is?? Doesn't make any sense to me, but is that true?

Thank y'all for your help so far, it's giving me hope.

On a separate note, and I don't need too much information right now since it's not too important. But, JCDEYO25 I see that you mention that you have a snorkel on your quad. I bought one for mine, and feel intimidated by it, was it as difficult to do as I feel like it is? When I opened the box and it was a lot of PVC elbows and such it was a little overwhelming.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

Afternoon Jeeper06
The stator charges the bat BIG time if it's low. And don't use a 12 volt test light to find out if the stator is chargin. It'll fry it in a heart beat when you rev the quad up. Don't ask how I know,,,,,,,,

It's a multi meter. Their cheap. And when you read it you will want to set it on 250 or 50 (I don't remember which) and have it on AC, NOT DC,, We'll get to that part later,
Do you have one of these?

Old 01-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

haha ok i wont ask. Alright well next on my list is I will go get a volt meter.

No I do not have a service manual, I have been meaning to get one but haven't gotten around to getting it.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Jeeper06

Is that just a volt meter? But yea I do need to get one.

Ok, that diagnostics test doesnt sound too bad, I do have to charge up my battery because right now it's just a brick on 4 wheels. I think I have heard somewhere that the stator on Polaris's doesn't charge the battery it just holds it where it is?? Doesn't make any sense to me, but is that true?

Thank y'all for your help so far, it's giving me hope.

On a separate note, and I don't need too much information right now since it's not too important. But, JCDEYO25 I see that you mention that you have a snorkel on your quad. I bought one for mine, and feel intimidated by it, was it as difficult to do as I feel like it is? When I opened the box and it was a lot of PVC elbows and such it was a little overwhelming.</end quote></div>

We're talking about 2 different things.......All my 800 snorkle is is the air intake tube off of an 800.....It has a larger opening than the 700 does...

John

Old 01-15-2009, 12:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

ooo..gotcha yea i bought an actual snorkel for my quad

Old 01-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Trailblazer

mine was the voltage regulator...did the same thing. it was covered under the recall list. i soon as i upgraded the regulator it cured all problems. if you do a search on here you will find it. good luck

Old 01-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

Mornin hurly
His might be the reg also, that's what mine turned out to be. But the PDM unit is $163, I found a place where he can get it for $148.82. But I think we ought to find out what is not chargin before he starts spendin his money. I found a place where he can get his stator rebuilt for $125 or a new one for $412.77. Their both a few bucks so we should try and make sure which part he needs.
And you never know, it might be like a puter,, just unplug it and plug it back in and it -&gt;might&lt;- be all better...

Now Jeeper06, don't be gettin your hopes up.........................
stator
PDM unit

Old 01-15-2009, 01:36 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>as soon as I cut off the motor it will not start</end quote></div>

If your stator is bad your motor will not run at all. Look for other (Cheaper) problems first.

Bad stator = no spark.

Any stator problem I have seen ,the stator is just toast like a light bulb. Never seen one that Kinda works a little bit sometimes maybe.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

Mornin TLC
I have to disagree with you. You can have a stator that is workin but not good enough to charge a battery. We got to make sure all 3 legs are puttin out the same volts and they should be puttin out between 30 and 40 Volts. (AC) If only one is workin, it will keep the quad runnin, I believe,,
PG 10-30 service manual

Old 01-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Trailblazer

I'd put my money on the Volt/Reg...that was the problem on my mine If need the troubleshooting steps ..just let me know..............My dealership was also all about selling a stator to me with a large labor bill..They said it wasn't the Volt/Reg.........well it was and I sure let them know they were wrong on their Troubleshooting methods.......all about the dollar..hence forth..STEALERSHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Quick Reply: I need help...please