Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I need help...please

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help...please

Hey y'all,
I believe I need a stator for my 2007 Sportsman 500. I think this because no matter what I do batteries do not hold a charge, as soon as I cut off the motor it will not start. I called my dealership today and they want $460.00 for a stator...gah. So does anyone know of a good place online or here in NC that I can get a stator for less that that?? There is no way I can afford that much.

Any help is welcome!!

Old 01-14-2009, 06:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.rickystator.com.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:10 AM
Pro Rider

Mornin Jeeper06
Are you sure it's the stator and not the voltage regulator? Did you test the stator?? I just went through that whole deal. Here's another place to check out ->IF<- it's the stator.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Pro Rider

I immediately thought of you hobbles...

John

Old 01-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

Mornin JCDEYO25
Ya, I had fun findin out what my problem was. But I did have a lot of help from some good people, you included. Maybe we can help Jeeper06 out.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks hefty lefty, they didnt have a stator for the year for my polaris but I did email them to see what they can do.

Hobbles, I dont exactly know that it is the stator, but here is what I do know: I can have a brand new, fully charged battery hooked up and it may start my atv like once or twice and then after that there isnt enough charge to start it again. So normally when I go ride I have to leave it running the whole time and never cut it off, pretty annoying when you go on a 3 day camping trip.

I don't have a whole lot of tools and everything as far as electrical work esp. on an engine is concerned. So are you recommending that I test the stator before I go too much further? How much is something that I can test it or when can I get it from??

Any kind of help that y'all can provide me would be great! I have not been able to ride my fourwheeler in far too long and the weather is great for it.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

Afternoon Jeeper06
First thing to do is run a diagnostic mode check and see if it's chargin, we will go from there.
1. for right now forget what all the book tells you to do to get there. Just turn on the key and put it in neutral. then turn off the key and wait for 10 seconds. Now push and hold the yellow button in (left side) and hold it in. Turn the key on and off as fast as you can, then wait 2 seconds then turn the key on. (still holdin the yellow button in) You should see a V and the number of the version of the code, you can let go of the yellow button now, then it will change and give you the volts the battery has, it should be bout 12. Now,, start the quad and read the volts. It should be readin round 14 volts at idle. and should get up to 15 at 2500 or 3000 rpm. If you could check that out for me then I will tell you what you should do next to find out if it's the regulator or the stator.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

Jeeper06
Ya gonna need one of these. I picked one up in a junk box at the feed store for $4.99, that was just lucky tho. You can try radio shack.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

And JCDEYO25, you can jump in any time, don't let me skip nothin now. Name:  brick.gif
Views: 14
Size:  5.5 KB

Old 01-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: hobbles

And JCDEYO25, you can jump in any time, don't let me skip nothin now. Name:  brick.gif
Views: 12
Size:  5.5 KB</end quote></div>

hobbles..
I'm keeping my eye on ya don't worry.....lol....I know you know what you're talkin about ...

John

Quick Reply: I need help...please