Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Installing synthetic rope to winch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing synthetic rope to winch?

Ok... here it goes. I got the 850 xp... sold the 06 700 sporty. I bought the new warn rt30. I also got the synthetic rope. Now I removed the wire rope....but didn't see the puck? or button?..... I inserted the rope and just kept a couple of inches out then wound the rope over it. Is that the right way to install the rope?

Old 01-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i thought you put a screw/bolt thru the rope into where it hooks on or something? maybe someone that has doen it will chime in.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:11 AM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: nightrain116

Ok... here it goes. I got the 850 xp... sold the 06 700 sporty. I bought the new warn rt30. I also got the synthetic rope. Now I removed the wire rope....but didn't see the puck? or button?..... I inserted the rope and just kept a couple of inches out then wound the rope over it. Is that the right way to install the rope?</end quote></div>

Wasn't there a small slot through the drum where you run the rope through and tie a knot to keep it from pulling out?

Old 01-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: nightrain116

Ok... here it goes. I got the 850 xp... sold the 06 700 sporty. I bought the new warn rt30. I also got the synthetic rope. Now I removed the wire rope....but didn't see the puck? or button?..... I inserted the rope and just kept a couple of inches out then wound the rope over it. Is that the right way to install the rope?</end quote></div>

Wasn't there a small slot through the drum where you run the rope through and tie a knot to keep it from pulling out?</end quote></div>

That's what I do....Tie a knot...Just a little suggestion when cutting synthetic if you need to freshen up the end going thru the drum, wrap a piece of electric tape very tightly around the rope first, then cut thru the center of the rope...It will keep if from unraveling and help when inserting thru the drum...I change mine twice a year between my 50' section for the majority of the year then I put my short section on for plowing...Good luck..

John

John

Old 01-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

Your just "supposed" to run it through the slot so there's enough to wrap a few times around the drum, the pressure from the rope when you wind it up is supposed to tighten and hold it tight...Per directions.

First time I free spooled I accidently went to far...out came the rope!! I tied a knot as well! Screw the directions..lol

Old 01-17-2009, 02:26 PM
DCT
Banned

Yep, I bought the 1/4 rope, so I had to remove a few strands, tape them, spray some Teflon spray in the slot, and push the rope through the slot. By remove a few strands, it's also easier to tie the knot and get it to fit back into the slot nicely. Like JCDEYO25 said, leaving some tape before the cut strands keeps them from unraveling. Works great... no more jammed steel cable or kinks that will break.

The sleeve that comes with most ropes doesn't work well for plowing. Sooner or later it will jam up. I took mine off and will save it for the summer for those "once in a great while" occasions when I need to use the rope. Using the sleeve, and getting it back on the winch spool won't be an problem at those times.