Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 01:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman Maintenance

My new Sportsman 500 HO will arrive next week. First time ATV owner. Can't wait!
I wanted to started a topic on maintenance and care tips for any ATV newbs like me. I will be reading the owners manual front to back!

In this case, my ATV will be plowing lots (multiple short drive ways) of snow in the winter and some trail riding in the summer.

I don't know where to start, except for when you START the engine, so...
1) How long do you warm up your Polaris non-EFI engine?
2) What type of maintenance do you perform per X miles or hours?
3) How do you protect your CV boots and joints?
4) How often do you slow charge?
5) Do you cover your exhaust to prevent moisture from gathering?

Thanks

Old 01-21-2009, 03:44 AM
Pro Rider

i had a 00 335 with 7000 miles and about 750hrs on it when i sold it in sep 08'. still ran like a top. and didnt use no oil. then i got a 08 500 sportsman. the maintenance i did on my old wheeler from day one was grease every spring and fall (the some 30 spots on my old wheeler), change oil/filter spring and fall. check over once and a while.

*but on my new wheeler useing it for the last months iv learned to let it warm up for about 15min. other wise it will kill on me.
*maintenance like i said above is what i did on my old one. i didnt evon use polaris oil. i just used 10w-30. but this one i will use polaris oil or amsoil. 0w-40. ill just change it like i did before. spring and fall. and just do a check over of the cv boots. fluid levels, and check to make shure nothing is working lose.
*cv boots. my old one i didnt have cv guards tell 06. i put about 5000miles on it in 05' when my boots started to tear. i thought my boots were tearing becuse of branches, and driving in the ditches. so i put th guards on. the first time to replace 2 cv boots cost me about $250 to fix. so i got the guards. but that didnt help because soon after the other side tore. i thought ok! so i learned to fix them my self. i replaced about 10 cv boots on my old wheeler. and some of the time they just tore driving it from the shop doors to a trailer, or on a road. after that i figured out it was one of a few reasons. 1) polaris poor desine of sharp drive axel angle 2) cheap bots, or 3) me not driving it as much as i use to. i did notice they changed the boots a bit on my new one. so hopefully they fixed it a little bit. but i wouldnt get cv guards if i were you. im not gona get any for my new wheeler because they hold snow, ice, and sticks. if you plow snow its gona pack in there, if it melts and you have the cv guards on and then it freezes, it wont be good on the boots. lease if you dont have the guards the snow and stick will fal out the bottom. just be carefull when driving in the diches and in the woods. other wise it will be a $100 or more fix. unless you want to learn how to do it like i have. then it will be an hr of your time and $30 per boot kit.
*slow charge. will id say slow plowing, and short drives. id plug it in after every use. keep the batter fully charged and ready to use. my battery drains fast when i use my hand/thumb warmers, 10 blinky lights, winch, and when the cooling fans turns on the low volt batter display pops up. sometimes the display resets. but im shure if i didnt use all my crap id be fine. iv also changed my taillights and work lights to L.E.D. to save some power draw.
*iv never coverd my exsaust on my old wheeler. if you use it id say dont worry bought it.

this is all my past exsperaince. and seems to have worked for me. if also in doubt you can look at your owners manuel. it will tell you when to change the oil and filter, and when to check things.

good luck on the new wheeler!!!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Pro Rider

Here's the link, to the 08 500 manual, I would guess the 09 is the same, if thats what you have

Old 01-21-2009, 08:12 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is this an 09' or what year. if you read your manual it will state right in there about what maintaintence and when to do it. if its going to be brand new just do the first service around 20 hrs. welcome to the polaris forum and family.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.

1. I warm it up on my carb HO for about 15min in the winter and 5-7min in the summer (makes engine last much longer!)
2. In owners manual
3. keep ice away from the boots and stay out of the sticks on the trail if possible (you can buy after market stick stoppers)
4. Charge the atv on a trickle charge if it is left sat for extended periods of time (such as winter if you dont ride)
5. I put like an Armor All on the exhaust (never had rust on the muffler part of the exhause pipe!)

Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

Make sure you use the correct oil, I use the polaris oil change kits and its simple and they use the best filters and synthetic oil. Plus they are cheaper than buying the oil and filter seperatly at the parts store.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:09 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I can start my H.O and drive off in the coldest winter-days in a matter of minutes but it,s not good to run the motor until the motor OIL warms up (Not the motor) so in theory the EFI and H.O have the same warm up time.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

I can start my H.O and drive off in the coldest winter-days in a matter of minutes but it not good to run the motor until the motor OIL warms up (Not the motor) so in theory the EFI and H.O have the same warm up time.</end quote></div>

mine sucks if just start and drive. i have to let it warm up. if i dont and i let off the gas it will kill on me.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Trailblazer

Is this a new ride or used? You stated "500 HO Non-EFI"

Old 01-21-2009, 03:57 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lefty64

Is this a new ride or used? You stated "500 HO Non-EFI"</end quote></div>

They still make the Sportsman 500 with carb for 2009. 09 SP500 H.O

Quick Reply: Sportsman Maintenance