Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

XP owners! Is an oil change easy on them?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009 | 08:43 PM
DCT
Banned
Default XP owners! Is an oil change easy on them?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

Does removing the oil filter act like removing the a drain plug as well? I like that idea ,two steps in one.</end quote></div>

No, I think the oil plug is right there by the oil filter.

Old 01-21-2009 | 08:44 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

The drain plug is a separate 6mm allen bolt, like the 800.

Old 01-21-2009 | 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

TLC,

Actually, I like the filter in that vertical position rather than a horizontal position for a couple of reasons.

However, contrary to what others might say, I've talked to a guy who found a couple of nasty "dents" in the bottom of his when he changed his oil and filter on his XP the first time. So, I'm going to "think a little further" into this. LOL

That guy has already taken preventative measures with his. If I get one, I will too, as I'm one of those "lucky" ones. LOL</end quote></div>

Keep thinking. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2009 | 08:54 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I can see a aftermarket company making a heavy duty rubber or plastic plug that covers the oil filter hole ,that you just push on and ply off to remove again.

Like a larger stronger version plug the rust proofing places use to cover the holes they drill in your car or truck to spray oil into body panels.

Old 01-21-2009 | 08:59 PM
DCT
Banned

I can see a aftermarket company making a heavy duty rubber or plastic plug that covers the oil filter hole ,that you just push on and ply off to remove again.

Like a larger stronger version plug the rust proofing places use to cover the holes they drill in your car or truck to spray oil into body panels.</end quote></div>

The guy that had dents in his oil filter made a swing away 1/8" metal plate for his.

Old 01-21-2009 | 09:03 PM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Roofer

Keep thinking. [IMG][/IMG]</end quote></div>

I will... better than sitting somewhere on a trail with stream of oil behind the ATV and a blown motor just because I listened to someone else who thinks that everything Polaris makes is perfect. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2009 | 09:06 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I was thinking something like this.

You wack it on with a big rubber mallet and ply it off with a small crow bar.

Old 01-21-2009 | 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I have an XP with a few miles on it in the woods. If I was in the rocks and had an XP, I would maybe think different. If I had anything else, I wouldn't worry about it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2009 | 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure how you can think crawling underneath a ATV to change a oil filter is a nicer place for maintenances. The old location on the side of the ATV was as easy as it could get.

</end quote></div>

It is easy imo...less messy too..no need to crawl under..you can reach it from the side quite easliy..I have a creeper I lay on.....to get any easier the oil would have to change itself..lol..
I'm not sure what some you guys want...NOTHING is perfect in everyones eyes..everything is give and take and a choice has to be made...
I wish the few guys on here who have such great ideas about ATV design would get together and design and build a machine..if it is as perfect as you seem to expect these machines to be and priced competitvely I'll buy 2..

I agree that the filters exposure could be a concern..but mainly I think t will only be a concern with rocks..I don't ride rocks normally but one place I plan to ride has alot of them..hence the reason I am hoping for a good aftermarket skid..If none are available before I go I will make protection of my own...it is not that hard to do...

Old 01-21-2009 | 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

I wish the few guys on here who have such great ideas about ATV design would get together and design and build a machine..if it is as perfect as you seem to expect these machines to be and priced competitvely I'll buy 2..

</end quote></div>

Amen!

Quick Reply: XP owners! Is an oil change easy on them?