Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

G'day new bloke from "Down Under"

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G'day new bloke from "Down Under"

G'day all, newbie here an Aussie from the land Down Under.
I am after some information on the early model Polaris 2 stroke ATV's, there are a couple on eBay here in Australia one is a 1993 the other a 1994 model. Both are 250cc 2 stroke motors with chain drive. I am looking at both of these but before I bid one one of them I would like to know if there are any known problems with them.
I have been looking at other makes and models of ATV's (4 strokes and 4x4) but I really need an ATV which is as light as possible to put in the back of my tray back Nissan patrol. I will be using it for gold prospecting in Western Australia and where I go it is very isolated, up to 200 miles from any town.
Are these 2 strokes oil injected or do you have to make a pre-mix and if so what ratio of oil to petrol (gas). Do they tend to load up with lots of slow riding or do you have to rev the guts out of them to to stop oiling up. Do the chains and sprockets wear out quickly because of the ingress of dirt.
I have had motor bikes all my life from 15-58 (I know at my age I should know better) but this will be my first ATV. Any information on these ATV's would be appreciated, regards Neil PS the last 2 stroke I had was a 350 Yamaha road racing bike TR3 which had chrome bores, please tell me the polaris motors don't have chrome bores

Old 01-24-2009, 05:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Default G'day new bloke from "Down Under

Reliable machines,just keep air filter clean as you would do with any 2-stroke machine that is used in dusty areas a lot. 2-strokes just more sensitive to dirt and less forgiving than four strokes. You already know that with the Yamaha! NO chrome bore in the 250,can re-bore past 1mm oversize if necessary. If ever needed JMO Wiseco pistons are the best,if available.Oil pumps are basically bullet proof,engine doesnt have to be run wide open,can put all day on gas that make a Yamaha puke and if ever gets a little boggy,just replace needle valve assy if plug fouling often or rich running. Simple engine and transmission,simple,functional design,I wish the 250 2-stroker was still in the new atv lineup! 250 and 500 4-stroke my engines of choice. Chain and sprocket wear least of your worries if you keep adjusted and lubed! Light weight and simple,we sold quite a few in their day and a lot are still puting along just fine. Only problem area was in SOME EARLY 94 transmissions, NOT all, where shift linkage grinding because of pinned shift forks in trans,but was the only major bulletin released! G'day mate and good luck on whatever you purchase!

Old 01-24-2009, 07:23 AM
DCT
Banned

G'day 3cav 84a,

Welcome to the site. As always, information coming from old polaris tech is about as good as it gets.

Good luck with your choice.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

G'day 3cav 84a,

Not sure of your dims. on the Nissan Patrol, but Polaris has put out the new Sporstman 300 and 400 smaller and mid size. They both have the 4x4 AWD you need and the utility you need for doing your job. These are shaft Vs. chain, good speed and handling and very modifiable. Their earlier predecessor is the HAWKEYE, but those have a few issues, all good though once you get the recall fixes done, but I mention that if you are looking used and want to shave some costs. One thing is for sure, they won't leave ya high and dry to do a walkabout 200 miles from town, dependable machines!

Regards Mate!

R'

Old 01-25-2009, 04:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default G'day new bloke from

Thanks for the information, another thing came to mind and that was the chain drive to the rear sprocket, there is no diff to speak of so how do you do u-turns or any other type of turn at walking pace. I could understand if you were going quickly enough to slide the atv but at a slow pace how does the thing compensate the need for the outside wheel to go further distance than the inside wheel, regards to all Neil