Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

03 polaris sportsman input shaft bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 polaris sportsman input shaft bearing

Hello, has anyone ever replaced the bearing on the input shaft before?? And if so is there an easy way to do it? I got down under the machine yesterday and noticed the input shaft seal was weeping oil and the shaft had a slight wiggle. It looks like the bearing needs replaceing. If there is only a hard way I'll do that too. I looks like it should be easy. I had this problem with my 08 500 sportsman and the shop had it back to me the next day. They had to replace the whole shaft and seals (defect from factory I was told) and it was under warranty. This is not under warranty and bearing and seals are around $50.00 which is well in my range. I just could use some help on how to do it. If anyone had this problem and repaired it themself I would sure appreciate some help.

Thanks

Old 10-12-2010, 07:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Wow! Not one person had to change this bearing before? Its the bearing on the front drive input shaft. The shaft going into the front drive gear case. I must have a isolated problem. I purchased the 03 500 sportsman from a guy who used it for plowing in the winter only. It needed lots of front end parts,I've changed both ball joints all tie rod ends. The engine has a clunking sound but most all polaris machines do. Runs very good otherwise.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:10 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

You mean BEARING,BALL
3233589 (#6)?

Never did it but it sounds not to bad from the manual, disconnect both front axles from the diff,punch out roll pin from diff,s spline and pull drive shaft back out of the way. then remove the 4 bolt holding the diff to frame and remove the diff unit. Remove the 4 bolts from (#3) to get at bearing.

Parts #2,#4 and #6 are $50 total from these guys. OEM motorcycle and ATV parts from Honda, Yamaha & Polaris – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Not really a Bearing known to cause trouble unless your taking about another bearing?

Old 10-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jfroe
Hello, has anyone ever replaced the bearing on the input shaft before?? And if so is there an easy way to do it? I got down under the machine yesterday and noticed the input shaft seal was weeping oil and the shaft had a slight wiggle. It looks like the bearing needs replaceing. If there is only a hard way I'll do that too. I looks like it should be easy. I had this problem with my 08 500 sportsman and the shop had it back to me the next day. They had to replace the whole shaft and seals (defect from factory I was told) and it was under warranty. This is not under warranty and bearing and seals are around $50.00 which is well in my range. I just could use some help on how to do it. If anyone had this problem and repaired it themself I would sure appreciate some help.

Thanks
Best to have a manual,BUT you can take off the clutch side cover of the trans and the transfer cover(where you say its leaking) This is where the ring gear is and pinion inserts from the clutch side.Must be careful as there is a shim and a plastic button on the ring gear case that HAS to be reinstalled properly. Havent really had any bearings go bad,but have had a couple pinons strip out from wrong fluid/lack of maintenance. But if has been under a lot of strain,could be a bearing failure. IF you are talking about the input from the trans! Same thing if you mean the front gear case assy! Has ring and pinion assy also and bearings can go out along with seal! OPT

Old 10-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have completely rebuilt the front diff in my 05 700 two times. It is not hard, I did it with the diff removed.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 03 500 sportsman bearing

Thanks everyone for the responce I knew someone could help with this. I will get a manual also. TLC had mentioned that this may be some other problem, can you let me know what else it could be? I guess I really won't know untill I remove and inspect it but It would give me a little insight on maybe what to budget for. And yes I was thinking part# 6 on the diagram from TLC along with #8.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:14 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The was OPT who said it may ge something else ,he is a Polaris dealer Mechanic.

Havent really had any bearings go bad,but have had a couple pinons strip out from wrong fluid/lack of maintenance. But if has been under a lot of strain,could be a bearing failure.
I think he was referring to Gear #18 which can be accessed from the clutch side by taking #22 Plate off,while leaving the front diff in the ATV.
I would just take the diff out and apart and the trouble will show itself. If is something xspensive there may be a whole unit for sale on Ebay for a deal.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Smile 500 sportsman bearing

Thanks again guys, I'll get this thing apart and let you know what the problem is. Then I can add a few tidbits of info to the Polaris repair and ride archives HA HA.