Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New to ATVing - Quick Question/Opinon on ATV Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to ATVing - Quick Question/Opinon on ATV Purchase

Hi guys,

I've been considering joining the ATV community for a while. My two teenage boys (19 and 14) have been on my case for years to get involved in this, and we may soon take the plunge.

I had a look at a 2006 Polaris 500 H.O. x2 EFI, and it looked in very good condition. No winch, no scratches, (so likely not much trail use?) and 1200 miles on the odometer. (Only driven by an old lady to church on Sundays?) They are asking $5800 Canadian and they will install a winch. In Canada these retail new for $10K. Also we are interested in a 2up at this point to allow a passenger (at least until we get into this a little more.)

To me it seems like a pretty fair deal. Does that sound reasonable? Is 1200 miles a lot on a 2006? I'd like to get something that is going to last a bit and at the same time not get hosed with something I will regret. My boys may very well end up doing most of the driving.

I would appreciate any views...

Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Trailblazer

Welcome to the forum !!.

My nephew had a 06 500 HO X2 set up with Polaris Prospector tracks. He really liked it and had only one problem with it. The throttle position sensor went down and caused some major overheating; ended up over heating the exhaust system and melted some of the pastic on the exhaust side of the machine. In 06 Polaris didn't use as much exhaust reflectors as they are now. Other than that a fantastic machine.

The only reason that he got rid of it is , he rode my new 08 700 x2 and wanted to upgrade for more power while using the tracks. So down he went 2 weeks after I bought my 700 and traded his 500.

Another thought; If you are new to ATVs and especially for your Kids; take an ATV safety course. Polaris will give you $100 Polaris bucks for taking an approved course. My wife and I just took ours Yesterday. She's new to ATVs (rode motorcycles for years) and I've rode anything with an engine since birth, but both of us came home with some great info from the 3 hour class. I've got teens also and they're signed up for the next class even though they think they already know everything I still own the keys [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Check with your dealer if you buy from a private party as I'm told there are some factory updates for the 500 HO's brain box.

Have fun

Old 02-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

I have an '07 500 X2 and absolutely love it. I only have 188 miles on mine in 13 hours. Zero problems. It works like a champ. Lacks a little on the trails. I think that's due to the longer wheel base. I love the turf mode. It saves the yard a lot of wear and tear. I put a cheap (yea, I ain't afraid to say it!) winch on mine because I don't do a lot of mud. I don't think you would be disappointed with the X2.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

are you buying this thru a dealer?if so, make sure they do a complete service(all fluids and a valve adjustment) before you buy it so you pretty much wont have to worry about anything for awhile. also they had some recalls on some models w/ the old ecm, so make sure if that model was one of them that they replace it. other then normal maintainance and wear items, the 500 is a very good purchase. imo.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Range Rover

i dont know where you live in canada but look hard at the dealers they have alot of deals on NEW stuff that ist all that much more than you 5800 tag...i have ridden with alot of guys and man i don't know if i would ever buy used....keep in mind people beat their equipment and some people just don't do a good enough job on maintenance just my 2 cent's....

if you live in ontario i'll give you a few good dealer to check out

Old 02-09-2009, 09:29 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Ride herd on the boys cause atv's can bring the animal out in all of us. Gotta impress on them that they're not bullet proof.

Have fun and good luck.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember that even though it's a 2-up Quad ........The rules here in Ontario will only allow two people on the trails.........Not on the Secondary roads where all the other Quads can ride .....Even to get from one trail to another ....The Fall ride we went to up in Mattawa, Ontario Canada......Had a shuttle service from the starting point (Legion) to the trail head.......Police were giving out tickets to anyone caught riding 2-up to get to the trail
Just thought I would let you know....Don't know where your from in Canada.............Caper............

Trending Topics

Old 02-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Range Rover

I love my 07 X2, but last fall the ADC clutches went out and it was an expensive repair.