Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Xp 850 still having brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xp 850 still having brake issues

Ok talked to the manager at my dealer. they called polaris to see about extending the warranty to the brakes as they are 300 miles old. No such luck "wear and tear item" . I then called 1-800 Polaris and they were no help at finding who I need to talk to. Again they said "wear and tear" . For instance to me this is like buying a brand new car and having to replace the pads after 3000 miles. That would be ridiculous. Anyone know a number I can call ? If not what do I need to do so I am not replacing pads again at mile 601? And no, riding it like a regular utility quad is not an option . I bought an XP to ride the hell out of it.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

Can you post some pics of the pads and rotors?

Old 02-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Trailblazer

yea, ill pick up my bike this friday from the dealer and prob tear it apart this weekend

Old 02-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Trailblazer

I checked mine today and they look brand new no problems here, I think it must be isolated incident. As HO said there is not much pad to begin with but they are hard pads or say the least.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Art454

By my 2008 800 manual the adc only works below 15 mph.

adc works as a engine brake....so as I take it does not work on the caliper system.

Did you check you back pads?

I was also wondering if they use a proporition valve in that 850 machine?

You buy a machine you need to buy a polaris repair manual for r model and year as it seems there changing things every year it seems.

To my understanding ADC uses engine braking in conjunction with the brakes....

and on another fourum i'm on there is a few posts about this problem as well and it seems most just switch the pads to a better higher end pad(different material) and it seems to fix the issue....i will lookfor the posts again..

Old 02-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer

UNCLE......Am outa ideas so this cow gives up....lmao.....

Really I hope the best with the brake problem....I just have run outa ideas....sr.

Art

Old 02-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer

My bike is still at the dealer and I cant get it till friday. when I get it I will take a look and confirm how many pads ill need. they didnt mention the rear pads but they looked as bad as the fronts. Let me know if you come across any after market pads .. maybe a different rotor setup would work better as well?

Old 02-19-2009, 05:36 AM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Daledo

My bike is still at the dealer and I cant get it till friday. when I get it I will take a look and confirm how many pads ill need. they didnt mention the rear pads but they looked as bad as the fronts. Let me know if you come across any after market pads .. maybe a different rotor setup would work better as well?</end quote></div>

Daledo,

You shouldn't need any aftermarket rotors/brakes. Thes OEM set up should last a long time.

If you didn't do anything to cause the issue, then there was something wrong with the rotors, brakes, calipers, or all of the above... I don't care what Polaris says... period.

If the new brakes/rotors do the same thing, and you are sure you are not doing something to create the issue... I would go back to the dealer screaming. At that point I would suspect there is something wrong with the calipers or the brake system (hydraulics) affecting the calipers.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:19 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DavidXP

To my understanding ADC uses engine braking in conjunction with the brakes....

and on another fourum i'm on there is a few posts about this problem as well and it seems most just switch the pads to a better higher end pad(different material) and it seems to fix the issue....i will lookfor the posts again..</end quote></div>

ADC it totally independant of engine braking and the wheel brakes. ADC uses an electro-hydrualic brake of sorts that is contained in the front differential.
The whole reasoning for ADC is that the differential cannot utilize engine braking due to the over running clutch design. In other words under engine braking the front wheels are allowed to free wheel and over run the speed of the differential.
This overrunning clutch is key in the operation of the on-demand AWD,so to allow all wheel deceleration they came up with ADC.
ADC engages a "brake" in the front differential that is connected dirrectly to the front drivetrain through the ring gear assy...this coupled with the way the system activates..ie throttle released, less that 15 mph ect,simulates "engine braking".

Old 02-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Trailblazer

i agree with DCT on this one. There is something that has caused this problem to arise and the dealer should stand behind the product that they have sold you. 300 miles and putting brakes on it is insane. Fix the problem and in 300 miles take it to them again and loose $200 in parts. Then they will say you prolly put them on wrong to cause it.

Quick Reply: Xp 850 still having brake issues