Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Xp 850 still having brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xp 850 still having brake issues

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

ADC it totally independant of engine braking and the wheel brakes. ADC uses an electro-hydrualic brake of sorts that is contained in the front differential.

The whole reasoning for ADC is that the differential cannot utilize engine braking due to the over running clutch design. In other words under engine braking the front wheels are allowed to free wheel and over run the speed of the differential.

This overrunning clutch is key in the operation of the on-demand AWD,so to allow all wheel deceleration they came up with ADC.

ADC engages a "brake" in the front differential that is connected dirrectly to the front drivetrain through the ring gear assy...this coupled with the way the system activates..ie throttle released, less that 15 mph ect,simulates "engine braking".</end quote></div>

HO -- Excellent description of ADC!

biz
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a thought, how many miles were on your bike when you picked it up?? Was it one of the bikes that the dealer sets out front of the dealership on display?? IF it was, the dude that moved it in and out of the shop may have left the parking brake on. The 2002 that I have was just such a bike. They used it to pull a trailer with quads on it for a dealer front display. I checked it over real good before I took it home and saw that the handle bars were bent. I had the dealer change them and got a smoken deal on the bike to boot. Wouldn't have taken too many tripes back and forth to the shop to wear the pads down. Just a thought, because I can't see them wearing down that fast.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

4700 miles on my 03 700 still has brakes left on pads, the calipers must be sticking or park brake left on.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

Brakes on older sportsmans are not the same as the brakes on the XP..and it also depends on how you ride,ALOT on how you ride..I could tool around and makes brakes last dang near forever...or I could run it like and autocross..on the gas on the brakes on the gas ect ect and trash the brakes in a weekend. IIRC he did say he bought it to ride the hell out of it right?
It is pretty hard to drive around with the handbrake set IMO..I mean for 1 mine holds pretty tight even on the 1st notch, and it would be obvious and even if you were to get it moving with it set it should be obvious something isn't right.
I don't think it is an issue of riding around with the brake set..
JMO
I'm interested to see the pads myself...are they infact gone? Unless I know the dealer I take even their word with a grain of salt,no doubt there was an issue with the front brake that wasnt holding..but are the pads really worn down to the metal?
I'm not saying the dealer isn't capable of checking the pads..but I have seen dealers be mistaken. The XP pads appear to be at least a semi metallic pad(surface looks like metal)..and the wear limit is very thin 40 thousandths of an inch..they are thin to start with..someone could make a mistake and call them worn to the metal if they didn't know what they were looking at.
Also are the rotors really damaged? The pads are a perfomance type pad..they are harder on the rotors..something has to wear..harder,more abrasive pad generally means more rotor wear..so even if they aren't bad they will show some wear.

I wont say the brakes shouldn't last longer that 300 miles but truly it depends on use...I can wear out a set of brakes pretty quick if I try..the Xps brakes work VERY well..and if you ride hard they will wear pretty quick..alot of times the higher the performance the faster they wear..look at the size of the pads compared to how they stop...

Another thing I will say is if they are infact metal on metal and the rotors are ruined then obviously catching the pad wear would have prevented the rotor damage. I look at my brakes VERY often..especially before and after I ride hard.

Bottom line if I rode the crap out of mine for 300 miles and the pads were done I would be completely ok with that..but if I tooled around at low speed and harldy ever used the brakes for quick stops from high speeds I would be puzzled..and certainly looking at why they wore so fast.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

got my bike back and ordered new pads on all the way around and new front rotors (around 200$) Not bad I guess. I have been sick this weekend and haven't looked at the old ones yet. Will be till next weekend before I can put some pics up .

Dale