Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

97 sportsman 400 2 stroke oil in coolant?? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 sportsman 400 2 stroke oil in coolant?? HELP!

Hey guys, I am just stumped here and think I could be in for a nightmare. In my radiator there is oil mixed in with the coolant, the unit runs great though it does start to spew coolant out of an overflow hose from wich I believe is the couterbalancer!I called my local polaris service department for insight but only had a confused fellow on the other end. He said mabe head gasket but there is no white smoke or water out the exhaust and again there is oil in the coolant! I paid top dollar for this clean unit and seemed to inherit an undetected problem. I love this quad and need to fix asap. Any help with this would be much appreciated!! CHEERS!

Old 02-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Does sound like you have water pump seals out pumping out c/balancer vent tube. As far as oil in radiator,a slight head gasket leak could contaminate coolant over a period of time by seeping into coolant return line and oil will have a film at top of radiator! Have seen it happen and machine didn't smoke from coolant loss,wasn't enough getting into exhaust,just enough oil/gas mixture to mix with coolant over a period of time.Just replace w/pump seals and bearing(hopefully no corrosion in c/balance cavity) and replace head gasket(easy to do,just make sure you bleed air out top of head,10 mm bleed valve back of head) Then keep a check on radiator! If happens again then possible slight head or cylinder warpage. Good luck

Old 02-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think it could be oil from the counterbalancer, does the water pump seal lead to the balancer area? Do you have to split the case to change the pump seal?Could I mabe spray some anti corrosion spray {outboard storage spray for cylinders}? Thanks again for any help!! I really don't want to do a complete tear down if I don't have too!

Old 02-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Trailblazer

Hi I have a similar problem with my 1998 Polaris scrambler 400 4x4. The coolant is coming out of the counterbalance dip stick when I checked the level. I already tried changing the water pump gasket thinking it was the problem but it still was doing the same thing. So I ordered the water pump seals, bearings and gasket and now I can not get the housing off of the counter balancer to put the new seals and bearings on. Can someone help me I don't know what to do my shop manual does not tell me how to get it off. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks Mike

Old 08-18-2021, 03:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by hondafl350
Hi I have a similar problem with my 1998 Polaris scrambler 400 4x4. The coolant is coming out of the counterbalance dip stick when I checked the level. I already tried changing the water pump gasket thinking it was the problem but it still was doing the same thing. So I ordered the water pump seals, bearings and gasket and now I can not get the housing off of the counter balancer to put the new seals and bearings on. Can someone help me I don't know what to do my shop manual does not tell me how to get it off. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks Mike
hey Mike I think you have to release the motor mount pick the engine up a few inches then pull it off