Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04 Sportsman 700 Bogging

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Sportsman 700 Bogging

I have an 04 700 that just recently started bogging out when I give it more then 1/4 throttle. Doesn't matter if it's under load or not. I thought maybe I was low on gas, but didn't matter full tank or not. I pulled the air box cover off and didn't make a difference. It was cold, only about 8 F. I noticed vapor coming out of the hole for the valve breather. It smells like she's running rich. Not sure where to start. Was a bit too cold to work on it today.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:03 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome. if anything it should be running lean when its cold out unless you have rejetted(if its a carb).so even in netrual when you try to rev it up it boggs as the same in gear under load? if it is a carbed model(non efi) try pulling out the choke when you take off or what ever makes it bogg to see if it makes it better or worse. does it run fine otherwise and have plenty of power once its out of the early bog?

Old 03-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

It is carbed model. That's the stumper, cold or warm it was bogging whether I feathered the throttle or pinned it, she'd bog to the point of stauling out. I did go through a lot of gas that day, which I thought was odd, for the amount of riding I did, but I was always in low gear and only going about 7 mph. I was towing my son and his friend around on a sled. When we came back up to the house to drop them off, I ran down the drive and noticed it then. I only had maybe 1.5 hours of riding, plus some idling. But still went through 3/4 of a tank. I checked my oil to make sure I didn't get wash through like I did when I trailered it without shutting off the gas, and all was good there.
The only thing I've done to it was turn up the idle, as it always idled really low to the point of stalling when cold. What should it idle at when warm? I haven't pulled the carb off yet to go through it and make sure everything is clear. I'm wondering if I have something plugging a needle or jet. I do have a new tank on it, as the old one cracked at the neck. The local dealer got it covered by Polaris.

With the amount of gas I used and the way it bogs out, I'm thinking I'm running way to rich, it sounds like it's loading up and it's always smelled rich vs a lean bog or hesitation.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what does the spark pkug look like?

that is a pretty good indicator of running conditions.
the way it sounds tho is a dirty carb. the pilot could be partialy clogged.
another thought that comes to mind is the diaphragms on the carb if they arent working right then the carb will let more fuel in but the air slide will not move enough to let the right amount of air in. (i think im right on my thinking here)

Old 03-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I plan on digging into it probably tomorrow. Hoping to get another run on the sled before the snow disappears on Wed. I'll check the plugs. I had just replaced them this summer and if I recall the old ones were a bit on the dark side. I bought the machine used with only 500 miles on it. It sat for a while with out really being riden much so she seemed to run rich. I really curious to get the carb out and take a good look. Thanks for the tips, I atleast have a good starting point. Little different beast then my 2-stroke sled.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well knowing on how much gas you went thru then i would agree that its running way too rich. this would make it bog for sure. could be a float issue out of adjustment. idling would be around 1150 +,- rpms a dirty carb w/ blocked passage would actually make it run leaner as being in cold weather. is the choke(enrichern) by any chance sticking open which would just pour more raw gas into the carb. just a couple of ideas you want to look at.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I finally had the chance to tear into my 700. I pulled the carb out and cleaned it up. I didn't notice anything in the jets, but when I pulled the diaphram apart it was wet and the slide was dirty. When I first bought it, it had oil in the air box, but I wasn't concerned as I knew it had been flipped. I've had that happen once to me and that was after trailering it down rough gravel roads to go hunting. I forgot to turn the gas off and it washed into the crank and then blew back to the airbox. Once I changed the oil and remembered to turn off the gas I was good to go, haven't seen it since. I think some of that residue seemed oil in the diaphram.
After cleaning the carb, re-charged the K&N, I replaced the fuel filter that is used to filter air going into the carb (along with the fuel filter). The dealer didn't have a breather filter in stock and here's one question.

The previous owner must have had this off at one time and it was installed backwards (arrow pointing to the air box), how much affect will this have on performance if any?

Two, I pulled my plugs and they were carbon fouled, not sure if running for a long time in low gear at a slow speed would do this, but my compression is good 152 both cylinders. So what else? I need to get new plugs and see if all my effort has payed off, but I want to make sure I'm covering everything.
Kevan

Old 03-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Pro Rider

Did you take the bowl off the carb and spray carb , take the jets out and spray carb cleaner through them? Spray through every holeto make sure it's clean, also check the boot where the carb hooks to the motor these have a tendancy to crack and it will run as you described. You can spray this with carb cleaner while engine os running and tell cause engine will speed up.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll try that next. I have to wait until I can get some plugs. The parts stores in Wausau don't carry them in stock and by the time I get home from work the local Polaris dealer is closed.

I went through the entire carb, in and out. It's spotless now. But my plugs were so carb fouled, I need to get some new ones. Before this started, I had be running around really slow towing the kids on their sled. But I think this may have been the culmination of running rich.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2004 400 Sportsman that is having the same problems. I was wandering if you got it fixed and if so what the problem was. I would appreciate some help

Quick Reply: 04 Sportsman 700 Bogging