Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

WHAT KIND OF SHOP RATES ARE YOU FINDING?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WHAT KIND OF SHOP RATES ARE YOU FINDING?

keep records and receipts of all the purchases you make for service work. also make note of what hours were on the machine at time of service. as long has you have written proof they cant say anything when it comes to warrenty work. same thing with cars. as long as there is a written record of it then no big deal

Old 03-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say it is what it is. Hourly rates are determined by a lot of factors. Some feel that rates are a horror, ridiculous, highway robbery, etc. If someone wants to start a business and work out of your garage and stay busy by word of mouth, great to hear. You can charge cheaper rates and you may get by for a descent living. When warranty issues arise and you have to put your time in to repair at no charge, then the hourly has shrunk your earned dollars. Some customers abuse their ATV's....you know it, I know it, everybody knows it.....and they cry warranty....more dollars out.... annnd he wants it "today". If you don't like the price at a dealer, go to a different one that may be more reasonable for the service desired. We are "renting" a person and his tools and the shop to keep our ATV's in shape. I think some dealers are getting a bad rap for their labor rates and I don't think most of it is justified. Yes ....I like to get the best deal and quality has to be included with that. Sometimes it's not too expensive, it's just more than I want to pay. IMO....NoJoke

Old 03-06-2009, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

Dealers get paid from the factory for their repair time on warranty coverage. I do agree that there are some people that prematurely shred their ATVs and get warranty to cover it. But my problem is that the good dealer with spend somewhere between $17-$25 per hour for a mechanic(some don't pay close to this) Granted the dealer has to pay the mech and overhead I think 60 -65 is "reasonable". I don't think that ATV dealers should be at the same charges as an auyo dealer. Auto Dealers have alot more overhead, 9000 atv vs 30000 auto 3times the overhead in 1 unit alone. I would hate to own a dealership and have it referred to as a stealership.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

i do it my self. iv never brought my last wheeler to the dealer. i bring it to a local small engine place $50 and hr there. but i only bring it there for things i dont want to do. like valve adjustments. but i learne to do things on my own. save money, and you get to learn new things....... this way if i have to do it again its a nap.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:25 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Then he asked where she got the cat from.He was told that it had been adopted through TAAG, an animal rescue (non-profit) organization.When the vet heard this, he told her to call a vet across the river as TAAG uses the Michigan services to spay and neuter their cats.</end quote></div>

I would of just told the vet it came from a alley across town near Cookamugga street,and then continued on with the business of things.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

My Local Dealers rate is like $65 /hr.

I find that dealer rates, ATV, Car or even Electrician seem to follow a what the market will bear or what the market dictates approach.

One factor to consider in the overhead. Some mechanics are very helpful and will take the time to talk to you.

I don't mind spending an honest book rate for a repair/service I don't want to do. Especially when they take time, any time I ask to explain something or answer some questions I have regarding something I want to do myself. That all comes out of their Overhead for just being there. I mean sometimes I am back there in the shop while they are working on a customers rig and other times they walk out front and we go through the discussion on a floor rig. Either way it is essentially non-billable time which is usually figured into the day to day operating cost that makes up their service Charge.

With all the undercutting on new machine prices and such it is between the shop labor and the aceessory sales that keeps a shops doors open.

If they are good and honest in their trade then that is worth something.
I would rather pay $120 for a service and know I got exactly what I asked for than pay a considerable margin less for an unexpected outcome.

Anyway, that is just how I see it.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.

I think the rates are going to change per the size of the town. In a Large city they can charge what ever they want, people have more money and are willing to pay for higher rates along with in general lower quality service. Smaller town dealers may have lower rates, they are more reasonable to stay going plus the service will probalbly be better to keep their reputation. I think some dealers charge alot knowing that if you can afford a "toy" then you can afford the high service rates in general. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

02mag500 I think there is alot of what your saying going on out there. If you talk to a small time operator they say that their location and help may cost less but machines often cost more cause of transporting, smaller quantity discount, smaller kickbacks. They say all things considered overhead tend to equal itself out between the big/ small market. What does not equal out is that the small town dealer can not get as much as the big city dealer out of their new units or service because there is less money floating around. The big dealers can afford to be cheaper but they don't have to.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.

Yes, mega xp, I think the larger dealers will get better deals on the machines themselfs due to high volume sales. Like you say, bulk discounts. I would rather have my machine serviced in a small town dealer where service counts. Not just a number like a huge dealer. Used to live in a large city and I have to say most everything that was done was poor, just was not used to that from a small town. just my 2 cents.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:43 AM
"Official Site Skeptic"

I just cruise past the dealerships till I find one that says thier shop rate is "Bend Over" and I go there, cause I know that's what is going to happen but I appreciate the honesty.

Quick Reply: WHAT KIND OF SHOP RATES ARE YOU FINDING?