Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

WHAT KIND OF SHOP RATES ARE YOU FINDING?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT KIND OF SHOP RATES ARE YOU FINDING?

My 06 Rubi needed an oil and I didn't have time so I had one of my Employees drop it at the dealer. It costs $35 to do it myself and it takes me 15-20 minutes at most. I was figuring till bill would be around $70. Got the bill $120 before tax and fees. I told them it doesn't take me (not a factory trained mechanic) twenty minutes to change the oil. Their answer was that is what the service shop estimates the time it takes to complete the job properly. $85 per hour shop rate. I found one that charges $65 per hour but if it takes 1/2 hour he only will charge 32.50 and 25.00 minimum. This is much more reasonable. So I thought I'd start this thread to see what you all are paying around the country. Feel Free to share horror stories or tales of good service.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:32 AM
Range Rover

i dont remember exactly wat i payed, but its around the same price that u paid near a $120... all it got was an oil change as well

Old 03-05-2009, 05:22 AM
Pro Rider

I just get the $25 Polaris oil change kit, and say heck with the dealers outrageous $95 an hour

Old 03-05-2009, 05:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

$75 per hour in Indiana.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:06 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the shop does a complete service of all fluids,grease job and adjust chains and things 1 1/2 hrs would be right but oil change only that is very high.
One reason to stay away from shops

Old 03-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

someone started a thread about this a while ago and found their was a big curve on how much shops charge for hr rates. my friend stopped by yesterday and is still trying to get me to buy/start a bussiness because i would charge cheaper rates. seems to me that a delaership of atves and what not shouldnt be as high as a car/truck dealership in prices but are pretty damn close to it right now.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:30 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Our dealership rates are $65-70 per hour.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I'll make time, maybe even chage it early if it gettiing close to time. I don't see why it should cost more than it does for my Dad's deisel that takes 11 qts. Maybe the dealers don't like to work on these things either.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Kinda wonder what a place like Jiffy Lube or similar would charge. I'll still change mine myself, but just wondering if it's a viable alternative.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

My dealer charges around 60$ for an oil change, not sure if that's including the oil and the filter...I sure hope so, it's usually around 35$ for an oil change on a car around here(Southern Ontario).

I had the dealer to the 'first service' for 250$(not including parts) at 25 hours on the machine. They changed all the fluids (although I doubt that includes the coolant). Add on handgaurds, 50$ for pickup/delivery and taxes, came to almost 500$ total, man was I shocked (last time I let them do something without getting the price first).

I'm still trying to decide if I'll do the oil changes myself or have them do it. I don't have a garage and it's winter still (spring is almost here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ) and I'm not sure if you have to have the dealer do service to maintain the warranty...can you do service yourself and not void the warranty? Aside from mountain bikes, my quad is the only 'brand new' vehicle I've owned.

Quick Reply: WHAT KIND OF SHOP RATES ARE YOU FINDING?