Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

XP not trail legal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XP not trail legal?

Went into the Polaris dealer down the road here in Southern WI and tried to look at the new 550 XP. They didn't have any so I asked and they said they passed on nearly every machine because the state of Wisconsin does not allow them on the trail system.

His explanation was like this - 12" tires are the maximum height on the system, the XP has 14" tires, thus making it illegal. When the trail started up, they wanted to keep dune buggies, home made machines, etc off because they typically have larger wheels. He also went on to say that because a traditional machine (500, 700, 800's) come stock with 12" tires, they can be registered and then many customers put on bigger tires and there is never a flag waived.

4 other states have this issue, he said.

It's very sad...I was hoping to get a new XP, but now will reconsider as I obviously want to be trail legal ($210 fine without a permit he mentioned)

Old 03-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some trail systems are also looking to institute a weight limit too. I have heard 700 pounds might be the max on some of the more loamy trail systems which would also hurt some of the bigger ATVs. I've already seen private trails with NO MUD 4X4s allowed during muddy conditions. The big engines, with big tires, and heavy weights ruin trails pretty quickly so some systems are taking precautions.

I think the ATV size race has hit the ceiling at this point. Any bigger than they will need steering wheels and roll cages.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

There are a few states that have restrictions that make the XP illegal on state trails ect..some affect the 550 and 850 others only the 850..wheel size and engine size restrictions..both of which are dumb IMO..wheel size has little to do with tire size and engine size has less to do with tearing up trails than does rider behavior. I don't live in one of those states but from what I have seen the rules are not being enforced on stock appearing machines where the rider is not otherwise showing his backside..states that require registration is another matter..some are being registered as different classes..some are sneaking through loop holes..
I'm sure that someone with more direct knowledge will chime in..but IMO the dealers move not to stock XPs because of that was not a smart one...guys are buying them and riding them in those states...I used to be a LEO..and I'd have to think a guy would have to be pretty board to hem up a guy on a stock machine because his stock wheels are 2" too large in diameter..
Also I have heard Polaris is lobbying to have the laws changed to include the 850..not sure if that is just in Minnesota or in all states where it would be prohibited on trails in stock form.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

These rules have to go through the legislature the same as any other law. We all know how fast they move at the Capitals. It's a ton of 'if's" "and's" & "but's". With all of the other crap that we have screaming through legislation to save the sorry a$$es of this country, it may take awhile.

As for a dealership not stocking them, that is ridiculous! There are people in MN who register them in WI just because of the max cc law here for a class 1 atv.

I am also a firm believer that if you keep a stock sounding exhaust, stay away from the tree huggers, and drive like an adult should, you shouldn't have any problems with a CO. Just my opinion, but I'm sure they would be hard pressed to hand out a citation if you are acting and driving civilized(for lack of a better word).

I would find a new dealer after I went there and told them they were crazy for not selling a great candidate for "ATV of the Year"

Old 03-06-2009, 05:24 PM
DCT
Banned

I think weight is also an issue... probably the 850's weight.

Anyhow, yes, it's absolutely ludicrous! Here's an American company, creating American jobs, and some stupid state laws prevent folks from buying certain ATV's.

On the flip side of the coin, you would have thought that somebody from Polaris actually new the state laws in their neighbor states and would have started lobbing a long time before putting the XP's on the market. When dealing with bureaucrats and all the red tape involved in government, they should have known it would take forever.

Unbelievable! Like a dog chasing his tail.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Range Rover

I would guess that a 850 XP would have to be registered as a class 2 ATV here in MN since it's over 800cc. This would mean it's only allowed on certain trails that are open to Class 2 ATVs. These are mainly forest roads and old railroad beds.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

wheel size has little to do with tire size and engine size has less to do with tearing up trails than does rider behavior. </end quote></div>

I agree with that, but when I'm out on the trails I can't help but notice that it's almost always the guys on a Grizzly 700 or an SP 800 with big aftermarket wheels and tires that are riding off trail and tearing things up, going way too fast, and riding with no regard to others.

Personally, I don't see the need for an 800+ cc ATV. I have plenty of fun on my 500. It goes way faster than anyone should be riding on a public trail, and it a little over half the price of an 850 XP. It wasn't that long ago that a 500 was a top of the line machine.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

Copy & Paste from the WI DNR regs. So indeed the dealer was correct that it would not fit the defination of an atv because of rim diameter but weight is ok.

All-terrain vehicle (ATV) - An engine-driven device which has a net weight
of 900 pounds or less, which has a width of 48 inches or less, which is
equipped with a seat designed to be straddled by the operator and which
is designed to travel on 3 or more low-pressure tires. A low-pressure tire
is a tire which has a minimum width of 6 inches, which is designed to be
mounted on a rim with a maximum diameter of 12 inches and which is
designed to be inflated with an operating pressure not to exceed 6 pounds
per square inch as recommended by the manufacturer. (NOTE: the machine
must meet all qualification restrictions.) See also: Small ATV.

Trending Topics

Old 03-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Class 2 is also limited to 800cc's. BUT it also states that an ORV under 1500 lbs. would be registered as a class 2. I would have to say that 90% of the trails are now both class 1 & 2.

A few years ago the law stated that an atv with a GVWR over 800 lbs. was not considered an atv.........There were thousands of Sportsman's that were registered and they are well over GVWR of 800 lbs. Now the law states the weight limit at 900 lbs. dry weight.

I agree they had plenty of time to get these rules changed, as the 950 AC (also made in MN) was in production last year.

As for the need of a 800cc+ machine......obviously that is a personal opinion, but I'll ask this.........Have you driven one yet?

Old 03-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Raven95150

I would guess that a 850 XP would have to be registered as a class 2 ATV here in MN since it's over 800cc. This would mean it's only allowed on certain trails that are open to Class 2 ATVs. These are mainly forest roads and old railroad beds.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

wheel size has little to do with tire size and engine size has less to do with tearing up trails than does rider behavior. </end quote></div>

I agree with that, but when I'm out on the trails I can't help but notice that it's almost always the guys on a Grizzly 700 or an SP 800 with big aftermarket wheels and tires that are riding off trail and tearing things up, going way too fast, and riding with no regard to others.

Personally, I don't see the need for an 800+ cc ATV. I have plenty of fun on my 500. It goes way faster than anyone should be riding on a public trail, and it a little over half the price of an 850 XP. It wasn't that long ago that a 500 was a top of the line machine.</end quote></div>

Truth be told many ATV riders don't NEED an ATV at all....just like we don't NEED many other things we have. Smaller machines can do plenty of damage in the wrong hands..

Enact and enforce laws against damaging out natural resources..not laws agaist the ability to do so..JMO..
Anyone could do severe trail damage on even a 500cc machine. So go after the guys riding like idiots. Those who are careful could ride a 2000 cc machine on the same trail with less damage..especially when it comes to engine size it isn't the machine as much as it is the rider IMO..

Old 03-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Chadly1980
Went into the Polaris dealer down the road here in Southern WI and tried to look at the new 550 XP. They didn't have any so I asked and they said they passed on nearly every machine because the state of Wisconsin does not allow them on the trail system.
His explanation was like this - 12" tires are the maximum height on the system, the XP has 14" tires, thus making it illegal. When the trail started up, they wanted to keep dune buggies, home made machines, etc off because they typically have larger wheels. He also went on to say that because a traditional machine (500, 700, 800's) come stock with 12" tires, they can be registered and then many customers put on bigger tires and there is never a flag waived.
4 other states have this issue, he said.
It's very sad...I was hoping to get a new XP, but now will reconsider as I obviously want to be trail legal ($210 fine without a permit he mentioned)</end quote></div>

Chadly, What dealer was that?
I could PM you my dealer if your interested.
I was told when I purchased mine that two XP's to my dealers knowledge where denined regestration.I still purchased mine.My regestration went threw with no problems.I was told also that they (Polaris) were lobbying like Roofer said.

Quick Reply: XP not trail legal?