Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

850xp lower ball joint broke

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 03:34 PM
BPM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850xp lower ball joint broke

That sucks man. Mines in the shop hopfuly the warnty will cover it. I wasn't going very fast either. the way it splintered I think its cheap china steel.
ductmate did yours splinter or did it have clean break?
I brought my a-arm and ball joint in to the dealer on monday havn't heard anything back yet. I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

Hmm...looking at the Parts breakdown it shows different ball joints and upper and lower A-arms on machines built 3/2/2009 and after..
I hate to say it but that makes you wonder if they know there is a problem..
Dodge for once I think I agree with you. lol..j/k
Seriously though alot of people spout off the word recall and people talk about 1st year bugs..breaking belts,fouling plugs ect no big deal..but snapping ball joints on little jumps? That is a whole different ball game. This could have the R word written all over it.

I'm against starting a panic or blowing things out of proportion but where life can be a stake it's best to get the word out and let people at least make an informed decesion about whether they think it is important.
BMP thanks for posting this up....I'll be keeping all 4 on the ground and inspecting the ball joints(which I did when you first posted this) as best I can before during and after everyride until this is resolved. The way I ride you very well might have saved my life [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

What is weird is I have yet to hear of any of the guys running big tires breaking a ball joint....I mean they are racing these bikes pretty hard..

BTW if you guys were really riding as you say you were(no offense it is the internet,I'm sure you understand) The I wouldn't just accept a warranty replacement with the same parts...Someone from Polaris needs to come look at you machines and investigate why it happened,if they aren't already aware and looking into it..

Old 03-26-2009, 04:20 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Do you have to replace the A-Arm when the ball joint fails?

Old 03-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

Do you have to replace the A-Arm when the ball joint fails?</end quote></div>

No the ball joint can be replaced. So as long as the A-arm isn't damged the ball joint itself can be replaced.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:55 PM
Trailblazer

it looks like it had a crack down one side and poped out. my right side front tire went sidewase as i was riding and just totaly destroyed the whole rite side a arms and axel it looks like i hit a rock going 40 and came to a stop
i was only going maby 10-12 mph all i can say is there is alot riding on those ball joints you had better be going slow when it pops out

Old 03-26-2009, 05:39 PM
DCT
Banned

I'm sure glad nobody has been hurt with this issue so far.

I'm also sure Polaris will call it "rider abuse" as much as they can... even though as HO pointed out... they suddenly changed the parts as of 3/2/2009. Although, this is a safety issue. So, if somebody gets hurt, and can prove otherwise and threatens to sue their A$$... then they will do the recall in a hurry.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Trailblazer

Hey BMP & ductmate....glad neither of you were hurt, the machine can be fixed (hopefully under warranty) by Polaris but no so easy when the rider or others get hurt in the process!

Can you guys give us your build dates?

HIGHOCTANE, thanks for letting us know about the new parts being used.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Trailblazer

build date 2/24/09

Old 03-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ductmate

build date 2/24/09</end quote></div>

OMG! You were just a week short of the part change reported by Highoctane....that sux!

Although I just got my 850 3 weeks ago I think my build date was back in Dec.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Range Rover

yeah i ran into the a arm and there is a difference the new one is thicker and has one less cossmember obviously there was an issue or they wouldn't have changed it but that ball joint freaks me out!!
I am a motocrosser first and fore most so i ride a LITTLE hard to say the least but really isn't what these machines are for?!!? they should be really rider abuse is one thing but a little 4' jump common

i personally have found polaris to be really great standing behind their machine (i just got them to give me a new seat cuz of a stress tear...so far i am a polaris guy!really for what we pay for these machines they should take a little beating!

good luck BPM i hope your dealer sticks by ya!!

Quick Reply: 850xp lower ball joint broke