Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

850xp lower ball joint broke

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850xp lower ball joint broke

Where can I find my build date...Is it incorporated into the serial number?

Old 03-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

My seat just went to crap too. The stupid staples were never put in correctly and the cover is loose with the foam shifting around. The loose staples all around the seat actually cut the plastic directly under the seat.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Man, that's not a good deal on the ball joint. Crack it going 10mph, then hop on the road doing 60mph and have it break. I would definitely make sure the techs at Polaris hear about both issues. I'm supposed to pick mine up tomorrow. In the back of my mind I always said NEVER by first year models and this is the first year I bought something new and a new model just because I was that impressed.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:30 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: FunRide

My seat just went to crap too. The stupid staples were never put in correctly and the cover is loose with the foam shifting around. The loose staples all around the seat actually cut the plastic directly under the seat.</end quote></div>

My seat has held up so far but I had the same problems with the staples cutting into the plastic underneath it, ended up putting two strips of foam sticky back insulation tape to stop it from doing more damage.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: FunRide

Where can I find my build date...Is it incorporated into the serial number?</end quote></div>

Look under the right front fender, there is a verticle bar with a label on it, the build date is on that label.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:40 AM
BPM
Range Rover

I havn't looked at the build date. But i bought it last November. Thanks HO I'm going to call my dealer today and find out what he knows. And i'm going to bring up the part# change. Man this could have been bad, earlier that day before it broke we were cruising at speeds up to 50 to 60 mph through the ditchs. If it would have happen then I'd be laid up for sure. I always wear a helmet but i'm no sping chicken anymore.
Just so you guys know I still have stock tires and rims on my machine.
My grim reaper tires and itp rims showed up today and now i'm afraid to put them on. They weigh more than the stockers and have wider stance.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DavidXP

yeah i ran into the a arm and there is a difference the new one is thicker and has one less cossmember obviously there was an issue or they wouldn't have changed it but that ball joint freaks me out!!

I am a motocrosser first and fore most so i ride a LITTLE hard to say the least but really isn't what these machines are for?!!? they should be really rider abuse is one thing but a little 4' jump common

</end quote></div>

EDIT-I found one of my posts in DavidXPs thread..the date for the change on the fiche back then was the same as it is now...

Do you have any pics from when you changed the a-arm that show the ball joint that were on your new style A-arms? Just curious if they are obviously different.

ductmate-which style lower A-arm do you have? Does it have the large crossmember like the one in the pics that BMP posted?

Old 03-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Trailblazer

Hey High Octane,

How do you find out about recalls for Polaris XP's? Is there a website that announces this?
This ball joint issue concerns me and my 550xp was built 12-01-08. Id like to see about my ball joints replaced all together while its under warranty.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:05 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

Do you have to replace the A-Arm when the ball joint fails?</end quote></div>

No the ball joint can be replaced. So as long as the A-arm isn't damged the ball joint itself can be replaced.</end quote></div>

Well thats good, when my ball joint broke on my Big Bear I had to buy the who $300 Canadian A-Arm.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 03-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: malibu94

Hey High Octane,

How do you find out about recalls for Polaris XP's? Is there a website that announces this?

This ball joint issue concerns me and my 550xp was built 12-01-08. Id like to see about my ball joints replaced all together while its under warranty.</end quote></div>

IF there was a recall you would get something in the mail or the dealer might contact you..
But you can look up recalls here:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cgi-bin/prod.aspx

As for getting the ball joints replaced I think that we first need to confirm that Polaris is aware of the failures and that the new part numbers are in-fact to prevent the ball joint from failing..if they changed parts for any other reason the new joints may not be any better.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:00 PM
BPM
Range Rover

Guys just got a call back from my dealer. They have a replacement a-arm & balljoint for me no charge. That was quick, i'll pick it up tonight. I'm going to look it over and see what they changed. You would think they would want to replace all four of them!

Quick Reply: 850xp lower ball joint broke