Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Dip stick.....Dip $hit

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dip stick.....Dip $hit

Dude your bike it wrecked.- not really, sorry just had to say it, lol. hope all turns out well [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default dipstick club

The same thing happened to me the other day, used a bore scope and could not find that thing anywhere. Im sure it still there but since this post is a couple months old i will assume it found a home in the bottom and will not resuface untill someone twenty years from now rebuilds it.
I was wondering about all the new part numbers when I ordered a new one, thats nice that they made them soft to keep from breaking if I do another stupid.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Charlie
The same thing happened to me the other day, used a bore scope and could not find that thing anywhere. Im sure it still there but since this post is a couple months old i will assume it found a home in the bottom and will not resuface untill someone twenty years from now rebuilds it.
I was wondering about all the new part numbers when I ordered a new one, thats nice that they made them soft to keep from breaking if I do another stupid.

Charlie....Don't know the part number. Just call your dealer and they'll look it up. If you don't trust their research, call another dealer and x-reference part numbers. It's the same dip stick. The new ones are not soft. Mine was not soft and I check an XP850 built in March and it was the same. The XP550 has a different stick. Maybe that one is more flexible.

I tried to suck mine out with a fluid extractor and could not come up with it. Oh well, it's not a problem, just down in the depths of the case somewhere.

If your stick of off by a millimeter, it will get ground up. It needs to be screwed in and tight.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Careful on the dipsticks, mine was covered under warranty, was probably something I did, but didn't realize it. The only theory I have is that it had a crack/fracture and I snapped it off when putting the dipstick in. The grey plastic is very brittle - probably so it will chop up easy. Dealer said that they wouldn't worry too much about it being in there, but since Polaris covered it, we removed all the pieces. I took the left over part and tried to crack/fracture it and was successful one of three times, so as brittle as it is, it can still have a crack and hold its shape without you knowing. Always check the dipstick!!

Old 05-05-2009, 01:29 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Don't push your luck hoping it'll be ok. Fix it right! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 05-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lang827
The grey plastic is very brittle - probably so it will chop up easy.
I don't know. I got a new one, and it's hard plastic, but not "brittle" in any way. I torqued it back and forth without any issues. Charlie and I know what we did to cause the problem.....self inflicted wounds. These were not manufacturing defects. Thus the post title.