Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500 X2 and Sand dunes

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 X2 and Sand dunes

Ok, I'm going to the sand dunes in Oklahoma at the end of April with a bunch of guys, and I ride a 500 X2 with 26" Mudlites, should I be ok for sand? I've never been, and I don't intend to buy some other tires for sand. Any suggestions that will help me out? I'm used to dirt trails and mud, so this will be new to me.

Also, should I or could I go with any clutch upgrades to help out. Maybe just a primary change?

Most of the guys I'm going with ride Razors so I won't be keeping up with them, but another guy is riding a 500 sportsman like me, so we can hang together.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Mike

Old 03-27-2009, 09:39 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Dig your 4 holes get stuck and open some cold beer and just watch everyone one else play.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Nice, maybe I'll just sit and watch....

Old 03-27-2009, 10:18 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Not being sarcastic, but sand riding relies on high RPM rear wheel spin and light weight, which allows the 2wd sport ATV to float on top of the sand. heavy Utility ATVs just dig themselves in and get stuck.

No matter though when do people run in dunes anyways?

Old 03-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

I have to disagree. I have had my 500 Touring at both Glamis and Ocotillo Wells and climbed the " compitition hill climb dunes" with no problem. Your not going to be flying over the dunes like the sport bikes. but if you air down you will have fun. I never got mine stuck even at the top of the dunes in the light blow sand. Here is a shot at the top of one of the dunes, Glamis is well known for it's huge dunes so this is no easy riding.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:01 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Well I could be wrong, we have no dunes up here but in solf large gravel pits I just dig 4 holes and get stuck on the inclines.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, that's more like it reno82! Makes me feel better anyway. I'll just air down and go for it! I did have a suggestion from someone to turn my rear mudlites around for the trip, they said it works better in the sand that way, but I don't know. I'm not lookin to be fast, I just want to have fun!

Old 03-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

Yea, I think gravel would be tougher than sand. You can see in the photo how well the quad sits on the sand, it's decieving looking at this photo how soft the sand is, try and walk through it and each foot sinks down. You need to use some common sense or experience which ever you have. Don't stop on hills and expect to continue climbing, watch for drop offs on the back of dunes, watch out for the jerks who fly over dunes without having a spotter, If you start spinning your tires STOP before you dig a hole, backup and get another run. My wife and I rode all day without getting stuck and she has no experience, I have about 30 yrs driving Jeeps and the same rules apply while driving a quad in sand.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I would have to say mine has done well in what little soft sand it's been in. No troubles going through, up or over. Mind you, we're not talking about high dunes. Just some sand pits the size of about 3 football fields. No bogging down at all. If you want a little extra flotation air your tires down a pound or two.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Trailblazer

I took my 06 500 X2 to waynoka last fall and had no problem keeping up with the others. I was even staying with the sports quads. I am running stock tires with a KN filter. I even rode over buttercup many times. Since you are heaver you do need to get on her just a little more.

I found dropping the pressure in the tires helps a bunch

Quick Reply: 500 X2 and Sand dunes